150 grain Boltcutters on Zombie Slayers for bear?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Montana Mark

150 grain Boltcutters on Zombie Slayers for bear?

Post by Montana Mark »

Spring bear season is just a few weeks away and I want to hunt the problem bear that terrorizes my place every spring and fall. I bought some 18” Zombie Slayers from Wyvern. Not sure of the exact specifics but they were the Zombies specifically made for Excalibur bows. I believe they are 300 grain (with 110 grain inserts) designed to use 100 grain heads. I have a bunch of 150 grain Boltcutters and would like to use them on the Zombies. They would be 450 grain (actually more with luminoks) and pretty heavy FOC. My bow shoots 326 with 350 grain arrows, 311 with 400 grain. Do you all think this setup would be good for my bear hunt? I will likely be taking a close shot (no more than 20-30 yards). Btw, zombies won’t be here till next week so haven’t shot them yet. Looking forward to it.
Last edited by Montana Mark on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix Sapphire 325 (forward riser)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #1)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #2)
vixenmaster

Re: 150 grain Boltcutters on Zombie Slayers for bear?

Post by vixenmaster »

I spect wid that weight n boltcutters it will certainly kill yer Bear
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
galamb

Post by galamb »

If you have never shot a bear with a bow just be aware that it's almost impossible to shoot through their leg bone.

When a bear is broadside to you the most lethal shot is right through the vitals when they step their front leg (on your side) forward.

That leaves the vitals totally exposed.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
SEW

Post by SEW »

I think your proposed setup will be very good.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That setup will be fine. Bears are not that thick skinned. They can have a dense, long coat and heavy muscle and bone mass depending on the size and age. The main factor is shot placement. Other than that bears are not difficult to kill. Good luck.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Your GTG :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

About shot placement. I read an article about the bear's vitals being closer to the middle of the animal compared to deer. This article said that rather than aiming behind the shoulder (as in a deer), aim for the "middle of the middle" (i.e. basically the middle of the body mass). I read that and figured I would aim at the front half, but not necessarily behind the shoulder. Does this ring true to anyone?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hmmmm, :eusa-think: I can't attest to the mid body shot. I can say that I've killed a good number of bears and most shots were behind the front shoulder. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Montana Mark wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:41 pm
About shot placement. I read an article about the bear's vitals being closer to the middle of the animal compared to deer. This article said that rather than aiming behind the shoulder (as in a deer), aim for the "middle of the middle" (i.e. basically the middle of the body mass). I read that and figured I would aim at the front half, but not necessarily behind the shoulder. Does this ring true to anyone?
No. It does not "ring true" for me.
I only kill larger boars.
I would NEVER take the shot you suggest.
Simply because I like to keep on breathing! :wink:

Tight behind the shoulder, preferably with the onside leg in the forward position.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Big John

Post by Big John »

GORGEOUS RUG!!!!
Beauty Matt. I am aiming for just the right one for past 3 yrs . I have seen him, almost got a shot at him , but he is still waiting for me out there just gettin bigger!!! If you want a rug, make it a good one!😎
As far as posters question, arrows he wants to use are fine, but he needs to get a nice slightly quarting away ,front leg forward a bit , and send the arrow!!!

Big John
Over 25 Bears killed and ate!!
Good Luck out there!!!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Thanks for the invaluable advise on shot placement. I definitely want to place the best shot I can.
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

I just got my zombie slayers from wyvern and love them! I ordered more. Dave told me they weigh 430 grain with 100 grain tips. That puts me at 480 grain (and heavy FOC) with my setup. The zombies shoot soooo much better than diablos it's amazing. I put 150 grain field tips on the zombies and had to turn my speed dial way down. I was grouping great at 70 yards (using 30 yard zero on the dead zone scope). 480 grain and heavy foc seems to fly great for me.

Edit: I just weighed the arrows with my wife’s cooking scale (??she doesn’t cook??) and converted grams to grains. The zombies weigh 463 with 150 grain tips. I measured the foc and it was 24%. Btw, did I say that they fly great? They fly awesome.
Last edited by Montana Mark on Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Big John wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:18 pm
GORGEOUS RUG!!!!
Beauty Matt. I am aiming for just the right one for past 3 yrs . I have seen him, almost got a shot at him , but he is still waiting for me out there just gettin bigger!!!
Why Thanks Big Buddy!
That was the first of the two Big Brothers I shot down Island here.
Gave the hide to the Rancher whose property he wandered.
Had I known it had that blue tone, I likely would have kept it!
Hide is seven feet seven inches nose to tail.
Big Bugger!! :shock:

Best of Luck on your Big Bruin this year John! :thumbup:
Pulling for you over here!!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

there is an article about aiming for the middle of the middle. i remember seeing it and the guide promoted never a lost bear using that idea.the idea being not to overthink and staying away from the shoulder.the lungs go further back in bear anatomy was what they were saying.being a deer hunter mostly doing that is so different...