The rut is on!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

The rut is on!

Post by mdcrossbow »

Moontransit was set for 4:52 AM this morning so I wasn't after any doe's. I got on stand about 5:45 1st light was at the same time. I wanted to see if deer were in the area and I wanted them see me if there were there so not to send them running. As it was nothing was in my stand area. I got on stand and about 20 min's later 8 doe's came running and stoped under me and looked back. I looked back also and saw 2 bucks milling around where the doe's were bedded. Then the doe's walked off and I could see one of the bucks had a set of horns visible from 80 yards. I broke out the antlers and rattled for a few seconds followed by and few short grunts and a few seconds more of rattleing. Then I waited. The buck took about 10 min's to make his way over callously and stood 10 yards from my stand licking the air, He was picking up the scent of the tarcel gland scent I placed out in 2 spots 30 yards apart. He was only a year and a half old but nice high 7 point. He will be a realy nice buck in a cuple of years. The other buck was smaller and bedded in the area they chased the doe's out of. It made for a quick hunt this morning. But I hope to be back on stand around 1 PM for a major feed.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I had a small year and 1/2 old buck ( 8 Point ) harassing does around my stand last night. Passed on all but had fun with practicing shots while looking through the scope.
Their tarsel glands had not darkened yet so they are just getting started in the chasing phase here. Peak breeding should be th 10th through the 16th. then another chasing phase before things cool down.

Mark
Exomag ,Exocet,Micro 335
Scorpyd Ventilator
Gold tip laser bolts, Zombie Slayers,Spynal Tapp
Slick Trick, Rage, Magnus bullhead
Danny Miller Strings
Shoot a big one, Let the grunts walk
PaJack

Post by PaJack »

The rut in my area is just starting,it's late this season... :?
Hunt Safe,
Jack
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I think I would have let the arrow fly Davehawk. That is some kind of patience and control you have!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

This morning at 1st light I rattled in a lil 120 class 8 point. He came stright to the location he heard the noise. He walked right under me and then he saw 4 doe's 50 yards out and was interisted in them but they were not in him He hung around for about 5 min's and walked off. Hopefully this afternoon I can rattle in a bruser.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Nice hunt this morning. The wide 20" 8 point came through just after 1st light and about 8 AM the 8 point piebald came in from behind me. I had 3 or 4 shots on him but passed. As I was able to look him over good at 15 yards his legs are all white , his back side is white and his sides are white up 1/3 rd. He is only a 2 year old so I passed on him to give him another year. I will have to keep my fingers crossed that he dosn't get poched from the edges. He is a resident buck and so is the 20"er.
. I am in high hopes that the big boys will begin moving this afternoon, Usualy somewhere around the 10th or the 11th is when thay start traveling looking for does on other tracks of land. The 11th has allways been a lucky day for me. Good Luck all ! Back to the woods------->
wabi

Post by wabi »

Good luck DH!!!!!!
Hope we hear a success story, and from the sound of things it won't be too long!
wabi