Waxing string

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Waxing string

Post by guest »

While hunting with my Exocet I noticed the string is frayed very slightly from catching on brush it still looks safe, but I have been waxing the serving only not the string so I put the string wax on the string that I use for my compound bow not the string and deck wax from excalibur. Does anyone wax the strings on the excalibur bows and what wax do you use?
Drags

Post by Guest »

guest,
I wax all my bowstrings (crossbow, longbow, recurve, and compound) with regular old "bowstring" wax occassionally. Just rub on a bit of wax and rub it until it gets hot enough to penetrate the string fibers (a scrap of thin leather helps to protect the fingers).
Don't know if it's necessary.
Don't know if it helps.
But I've been doing it that way for over 40 years and don't see where it ever hurt anything :wink:
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Anonymous wrote:guest,
I wax all my bowstrings (crossbow, longbow, recurve, and compound) with regular old "bowstring" wax occassionally. Just rub on a bit of wax and rub it until it gets hot enough to penetrate the string fibers (a scrap of thin leather helps to protect the fingers).
Don't know if it's necessary.
Don't know if it helps.
But I've been doing it that way for over 40 years and don't see where it ever hurt anything :wink:
wabi
Ayep a should do, very necessary for keeping the string in super shape. I wax and lube the rail every other time I go hunting, more at 3-D shoots. Standard string wax is fine and I use Horton rail lube. :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
popeye

Post by popeye »

Along the same line, do you clip the ends of the fast flemish string, burn them off or just let them poof out?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

popeye wrote:Along the same line, do you clip the ends of the fast flemish string, burn them off or just let them poof out?
I just let mine poof out :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

GaryL did you to say you lubed the rail. Do I lube it with the the same wax that came with the Exocet? I wax my serving, I better start doing the whole string I guess.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

tkstae I use horton rail lube on mine, this helps save the string serving from ware and also gives you a slick rail for your bolt. I use the string wax only for the string and the serving up too the rail.

I would not wax my serving where the claw grabs it nor would I use it on my rail as I would be concerned of getting the wax in my trigger assembly.

There are some others that use a wax on their rail but I do not know what type of wax it is. I think Excalibur sells a rail wax, But I only use rail LUBE.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bstout reads good to me, I use the string wax and work it in good, I use the rail lube lightly on my rail to help keep serving ware down, it do not freeze, It is like a silicone lube and it is used sparingly. I have never had a problem with either. As for the trigger I use my airbrush and compressor to blow it out if necessary and then would use WD-40 and let it dry.

As for lube on the rail some use it some don't. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!