Cougar sighting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Cougar sighting?

Post by chris4570 »

After our first morning hunting our group got together to find out what everyone had seen. My friend said he had seen something loping across a field, really light coloured. About five minutes later along the same route the first critter crossed another much larger, and darker animal snuck across the field.

Another guy describes this animal he had seen in a field. Dark brown, white all down the front of its chest. It stopped in the field and when it turned he saw what he described as five foot tail. The only thing I can think of, and what everyone else thought of is a cougar. This area we were hunting is south of the Trent river, near Codrington.

The first light coloured animal was later discovered to be a coyote. We saw him several times after. And if the second animal my friend saw was significantly larger, I figure it was the same animal(same morning and not too long after the other guy had seen it), perhaps trailing the coyote in an attempt to get it?

We also came across a set of very fresh bear tracks while scouting on Sunday(made that morning, had rained to previous day). The tracks indicate a large bear 5' plus. It was kind of unnerving walking in to our treestands knowing that a large bear and possibly a cougar were making this area their home. We were told by another hunter that the bear shows little fear of humans.

What are your guys thoughts on the possibilty of this being a cougar?
BUCKSHOT

Cougar Sighting

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Good Morning Chris
It is possible that you saw a cougar in Ontario!
Quote:
The distribution of the Eastern Cougar F.c cougar in Canada and the validity of considering it a subspecies have been questioned. During the twentieth century, cougars were reported in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, but some of the sightings proved to be encounters with cougars from other areas that had escaped from captivity. There is no objective evidence (actual cougar specimens or other unequivocal confirmation) of the continuous presence of cougars in Eastern Canada since the nineteenth century. For example, since that time, no cougars been reported killed in Ontario, and the one animal killed in Quebec, in 1992 had escaped from captivity.
In 1978, the eastern subspecies was declared "endangered" by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada. The status was re-examined in 1998, and the animal was designated "data deficient" because there was not enough data to evaluate the status of the animal or it's classification as a subspecies.
End Quote
This is not saying for sure that there is a wild population, as it also says that due to the high cost of research, the rarity and ellusiveness of the cougar, it is difficult to justify proving the existence of a wild population that is indigenous to Eastern Canada!
I have personally heard of three different sightings over the coarse of the last 15 yrs, from three different sources whom I consider to be credible!
So you never know! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
chris4570nli

Post by chris4570nli »

Here is a link www.ontariopuma.ca. By the looks of it they are out there, and population may be increasing.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

It sure is possible! Up here in Quebec, 20-25 minutes north of Montreal, my dad's friend lives on a small house lot backed with forest. One day he woke up to look out his backyard to see a cougar sitting on a large mound at the back end of his yard. He quickly called his wife to get her to see it too, which she did. He saw it again a few days later and then never again. This sighting is by a seasoned hunter who knows the difference between coyote, lynx, bobcat, bear, etc ... in any case, what other animal has a long slender tale like that?
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
stump

Post by stump »

I think the possibility is higher than the MNR will ever admit to. I saw one in 1985, while back woods canoeing in Northwestern Ontario. I covered the tracks with a plastic bag and when I got back into town I contacted the MNR and told them about the sighting. They told me point blank that there were no cougars in Ontario. I informed them that I had covered the tracks with plastic to preserve them and offered to take a couple of their officers to see them. The MNR declined my offer, stating again that there were no cougars. About 3 years ago a man in Alexandria reported being attached by a couger, and had to be taken to hospital to be stitched up. The MNR was quoted as saying that there were no cougars in that area and the man was mistaken. Unfortunately for them, a mammal expert examined the wounds and confirmed they had been made by a large cat. Cougars, pumas or whatever you prefer to call them are in Ontario and will no doubt grow in population.

cougars

Post by guest »

They are presently checking out a cougar sighting in Wyevale (near Midland).
Tom
maple

Post by maple »

I've heard of reports of them dating back 35 years in the Calabogie Hills area west of Ottawa. Never seen signs of one myself, but have spoken with woodsmen who swear they're there. Haven't heard much recently about that site. It's pretty built up now in places.

As I recall, there's always been evidence of the odd cougar in eastern Canada. More-so just recently, as they collected DNA from hair samples caught in baited sticky- traps and conclusively found cougar hair. To bad I don't remember exactly who was doing the research this summer. I believe it was in New Brunswick. Even though legitamate reports have been around for years, the question is; are they escaped pets, are they the common west coast cougars come east, or southern cougers come north, or the original native (extinct?) eastern cougar. The last option is the most remote possibility since no conclusive evidence (ie. bodies) have been presented for almost a hundred years. The DNA findings are eagerly awaited to confirm their origin. Their presence in eastern Canada is presently not disputed by biologists, just what race or origin they represent.

Until it becomes an "issue" in some way I wonder whether the average MNR warden would even want to comment about it.

Maple
peter p

Post by peter p »

A cougar will attack a human.
BUCKSHOT

Very true!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I think you are right Peter!
I have heard of some attacks by Cougars in both Canada and the US.!
I have also heard of the occasional Bear attacks on humans!
All of the attacks on humans, by Cougars, that I have heard about (rarely), have occured in the West i.e British Columbia and California.
The Bear attacks that I have heard about, being rare, have occurred from Western Canada, to the rare attack in Ontario!
There are people injured and sometimes worse, in all aspects of dealing with Nature.
All the more carefull we need to be when dealing with Momma Nature! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!

Post by Guest »

bstout,

Cougars will stalk, kill, and consume humans, as will black, grizz, polar, and brown bear. To think otherwise would be to ignore research/facts, which it seems, you tend to do on a fairly regular basis.

It's not wise to pass on misinformation as being credible. It tends to make you look fairly silly. :lol: :lol:

Do you now fancy yourself a wildlife biologist?? :? :?

http://www.uwsp.edu/wildlife/carnivore/

http://www.mountainnature.com/Wildlife/ ... ttacks.htm

http://www.samcef.org/Bear%20Attacks.htm
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Lots of "cougar" sightings here over the last dozen years. A large male with no head was found along RR tracks in SW Illinois along the Mississippi River a few years ago.
That said, I will also say I am a skeptic on most of the "sightings". When I ask the folks that supposedly saw the cougar, the incidents invariably have one thing in common. Low light. It was either very early in the morning, or in the evening. I've yet to talk to anyone who claims to have seen a big cat in broad daylight.
I was waiting for my wife to pick me up after a deer hunt. The place I hunted has no parking so I had her drop me off, then pick me up after dark. There was barely any light, and I see something coming across in front of me. It was black and low, and had a long tail. I couldn't believe my eyes, but there it was...a cougar. A few seconds later, it heard or winded me and jumped back, spun around took off. I got a look at it in waning light as it turned and it was just a coyote. If I had not seen it was a coyote at the last second, I would be another one telling the tale of the black cougar.
Cougars are extending their range. Also, people buy them illegaly out west and bring them to the midwest, then release them after they grow too large.
Stout, that cat noise you heard in the dark woods *might* have been a cougar, but I'd bet that a Great Horned Owl could easily make the exact same blood curdling noise.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

On our moose hunt this year we were treated to three great horned owls hooting for what seemed to be five minutes. My dad had gone out for
" the call of nature", when he suddenly returned and said listen to this! What's making this noise?!! It was a windless quiet night and the sound was so loud and eary. We heard these repeated "hootings" echoing through the small valley! Our host mentionned that these were owls he had heard and seen before. There was no confusing it for a cat's growl though...a howling monkey maybe! ...but there ain't no monkeys in our woods! (other than me) :lol:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Spring

Post by Spring »

chris4570

The first credible cougar sighting I encountered was first hand from a close friend who lives outside Cavan. He saw it. His neighbours saw it., more than once.

I have another friend who actually stopped his car at the side of the road near Sudbury to observe two cougars stretched out on a rock cut soaking up some sun.

They're here. No doubt about it.

Cheers!
BUCKSHOT

Some Good Stuff

Post by BUCKSHOT »

For an O/T this is good stuff!
I thought your links were cool Carl! Yours too Chris! :wink:
How many guys have been seen by a Cougar, without knowing the Cougar was there?!
Enjoy the Harvest!

Post by Guest »

I don't know where Codrington, Ont is located.

Apparently, the MNR re-introduced Cougars in the Silver Lake area (between Perth and Peterbourough {sp} a few years ago to manage the exploding deer population......however, they haven't confirmed.
The last Cougar sighting i read about was reported last year around Carp, Ont.
The MNR's response.....a mere sighting is not hard enough evidence and therefore must be discounted.