5 Bucks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Beech

5 Bucks

Post by Beech »

Yesterday afternoon while pushing deer in the shotgun hunt , my friend and I walked up on 7 deer bedded down across the Nith River. Only one deer was standing at first , My friend shot him , and by the time I got over to my friend ,he was shooting at 2 more bucks that had stood up after his first shot. After the shots more deer got up and started running. At this point we thought the deer hand ran off. My friend thought he had hit all three deer. I was the first to get across the river . While I was looking for the spot his first deer dropped I spotted a small buck moving just out in front of me I shot at it and hit it, then a large buck came running up the trail towards me with two does behind it. It was coming straight at me and I shot it in the shoulder as it started to turn away. When it was all done we ended up with four bucks at that point. About two hours later we came back to look for the third buck that he shot at,we found a little blood, that lead to more blood and finally we found him up the hill in the corn field. So in the end the two of us shot a 4pt, 7 pt, 6pt, 8pt and a very large 9 pt . These 5 bucks and two does were all bedded together with a steep bank behind them running up to a corn field. We figured that because of the bank, the deer didn't know where the shots were coming from, so they didn't leave the area. I also shot a very big 10pt on opening morning on the farm next to this one. A lot of bucks in a small area.We have 7 guys in our group, Some of us have extra doe tags, but we are seeing lots of bucks and few does for some reason. Most years we see few bucks and lots of does.It was a good day hunting. I will post pics when I get them back............. Beech
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Great story. Man that's alot of bucks in one area. That may explain why we are seeing NO bucks. Seen our first buck this morning and I was lucky enough to get him. (very large bodied 6 point) We know they are around but we just aren't seeing them. We are not pushing them though, just stand hunting. We are hunting in 91B and not seeing much rutting activity, are you guy"s?? Were the necks all swollen on the bucks you got today?? Congats on the 5 bucks!!
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Schnarrfuss,

I also hunt 91B, but only with the bow. Saw my first scrap of the season on Saturday.

Been a very slow start to the season :cry:

With the cooler weather this week it hopefully picks up next week :wink:

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work

Post by Guest »

congradulations Beech, great story and great experience!!!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Just prior to the rut, bucks congregate in "bachelor groups". Not unusual to see a buch of them together then.
Greg