Vanilla trail leads to my next newby question what works?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JD Jones

Vanilla trail leads to my next newby question what works?

Post by JD Jones »

Once again, boggled by the plethora of scent hiding smells I gotta ask, "have you tried any of the human odor hiders and if so did they work. " What works and what doesn't?
Thanks
JD
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse.
GaryL

Re: Vanilla trail leads to my next newby question what wor

Post by GaryL »

JD Jones wrote:Once again, boggled by the plethora of scent hiding smells I gotta ask, "have you tried any of the human odor hiders and if so did they work. " What works and what doesn't?
Thanks
JD
I am not a believer in Human odor hiders...I use the Vanilla or Anise as a curiosity attractant not as a human odor cover. In all the areas I hunt human odor is a smell I believe the deer are use too same as the noise they are around most of the year, kids in the woods, men in the woods, atvs and chain saws, and the list go's on and on.

Now if I was in a wilderness where human activities were low or all-most nonexistent I think I would be more interested in trying to hide my human odor :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

One of my best scent tricks is to use the Tinks Smoke burn sticks. After I raise my bow I put a stick on the end of the pull rope and lower it. I have had bucks walk right under me trying to figure out the smell. It works better than any sent I have ever used in 20+years. Code Blue is also a good buck stopper.
.As far as hiding my scent, shower in de-scent soap and hunt the wind. Is my best suggestion.
Cousneddy

Post by Cousneddy »

I have never had much success with the cover scents. I try to hunt scent free as possiable. Scent free body wash, laundry detergent, etc. One product I do think helps is the scent away spray. I use it on my stand seat, pack, gloves and misc stuff that ends up in the woods with me. I take and crush up fresh pine needles and put in my cloths bag between hunts. Was thinking about some scent blocker clothing until my years hunting fund got diverted to a Excalibur crossbow!

Ed
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

I was thinking obeout this, A deer craps 12 to 15 times a day. I have taken fresh dung and droped it in the area I'm hunting. It helps as a confadent scent. If the deer are crapping in the area it will tend to reason that it is a local feeding area. Many time hunting on the ground I will rub the dung on my boots and also spring onions. Spring onions are found in the bedding areas and it is a scent that is unmistakable. It cover your scent good. Ceder is also a good cover scent that will mask your scent if your in or near ceders, brak a few limbs and use them, they work.