opening day blues

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

opening day blues

Post by gerald strine »

Tuesday is opening day for bow in Michigan and the high temp is going to be 86 degrees what the #%*!%*#.
I always put in for opening day off work but not sure I will even go out. :(
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Carnivorous

Re: opening day blues

Post by Carnivorous »

It's a long season. I will pick my days and wait for cooler temps..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I am skipping the hunting in hot weather this season, too.
Here in Ohio there is plenty of season to pick the days with better weather for hunting.
wabi
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Some times it's best to sit one out. Risking a bad hunt is worse than missing a bad hunt.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:16 am
Tuesday is opening day for bow in Michigan and the high temp is going to be 86 degrees what the #%*!%*#.
I always put in for opening day off work but not sure I will even go out. :(
thats the way the entire gun bear season went, never sweat so much in a blind as i did during that week.

high temps as well as rain/thunderstorms predicted in my area for the opener on tuesday. hoping it cools off for the week of archery bear hunting starting on saturday.
goodluck and be safe
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
vaXbow

Post by vaXbow »

My daughter and I climbed into a blind last night and the temps were 89. Miserable night in the blind. But it was youth season so you gotta go
The Horizontal Zone
[email protected]
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've been trying to get out for the Northern VA doe gun season all month, but I've had to sit out a half dozen afternoons. When its above 85F, all I'm killing is time and skeeters. That's been ruling out most afternoon hunts. It looks like we'll finally have cooler temps roll in before the bow opener this coming Saturday. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any movement in the woods on my trail cameras to develop any type of pattern at all. So far the only pattern we've figured out is that there aren't any deer in the woods. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Kind of jealous of ya'll. Thats about a normal hunting day down here in South Louisiana!!
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

The woman at the farm I hunt showed me a picture of 6 coyotes standing on the road to the back of her farm. Guess I'll be hunting them opening day heat or not
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

opening day here in ill., oct. 1st, forecast 93 degrees, gives me a few days to further prep.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I know the heat is a big turn off for a lot of people including myself but deer here the South still move in the heat. My wife has killed 2 bucks so far and I have killed 2 does and saw a lot of deer in this heat. One of my friends was sitting in the 90 degree heat this season cussing himself because he was hunting instead of being at home when he said he looked up and here came a nice 10 pt in full velvet that he had pictures of and he was able to kill this buck and it's the biggest buck he's killed with his compound bow in 35 years of hunting.

I keep saying that when I retire I'm going to pick and choose the days that I want to hunt but I'll still probably be out there in the heat but hopefully not as much.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

It's not too warm up here in Vermont now but a few weeks ago we got a bunch of hot weather. I checked my cameras last week and on two 85 degree days there were pictures of 3 different bucks in daylight and one big 11 point on two different cameras feeding at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. About half of my pictures are daylight typically but that changes as soon as the season starts and hunters show up. Then they stay hidden until late night until the end of October when they get 'rutty' and it's all day hunts again.
Hunting in the heat is uncomfortable and a nightmare when you get a big one, but I sure would be hitting the woods as much as possible in early season to fool the big guys before they are on to you. If water is a limited resource in your area that might be their first stop when they move... :thumbup: When I think back on all the deer I've killed, a lot more than half were shot between 10 and 3 and I remember a lot of drags in my tee shirt drenched to the skin in sweat. One very memorable drag was in the middle of a roaring thunderstorm, it was warm and rainy when I shot and by the time I waited and found him, the skies opened up.. :shock:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Opening day for Texas was September the 28th. It was 93 degrees in the shade by 10am! Even my sweat was sweating :thumbdown: !! Need less to say, I saw NOTHING! And I've had several good bucks on camera since around the 1st of the month.
It's supposed to be cooler by the 10th of October with night time lows in the mid-50's. I'll give it a try then!!

I was gonna attach a photo, but got a message that the board is full... :wtf:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

We were supposed to get 29°C (84F) before the humidex today. And crazy thunderstorms. Which is twice where it should be for a daytime high

I chanced it an was in the tree from 6:30 -2 pm before the rain washed me out to the truck.

I was pretty soaked in sweat after the wall out, but the breeze kept the temps low. It was a great day. Had 3 does come in around 8:30 and ha g out for half hour.
Then squirrels.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme