finally got out!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

finally got out!

Post by wabi »

After missing the entire season last year and no deer tagged the year before I finally got back in the woods.
Two years ago our doe population was so low I decided on taking only a buck and that never happened. Last year my son was a "poolee" in the US Marines (enlisted, but not active duty yet) and had to go to physical training two or three times a week, and somehow between the weather and his using my truck for travel I never made it out hunting.
This season I decided to put more effort into hunting, but season opened with temperatures in the high 90s and even going over 100°F some afternoons.

Friday the weather was finally cooler so I took the old Phoenix to the farm I hunt and made sure it was still shooting as it should.
Set a target at 25 yards and after a couple shots to get the feel of the trigger pull again I was happy with the results.

Didn't hunt Friday, but took time to look at the possibility of setting up near the landowner's former garden, which he planted as a food plot this year.
Deer have been hitting it, but the location doesn't offer much possibility of a good tree stand location overlooking the food plot. I decided to go yesterday evening and just set and watch from the edge of the woods.

Wasn't really hunting, I only took a chain-on tree seat and my Phoenix to get a feel for what I really need for actual hunting. Put the seat on a tree just inside the woods and sat for an hour. Two does came in through the woods about sunset, but one saw me move and they held up at about 40 yards. Saw plenty of squirrels, too. :lol:

Finally getting some rain today (and probably tomorrow), but when the rain stops I plan to check the woods on the other side of the food plot.
Will probably take a chain-on stand and my climbing sticks and set up a few yards deep in whichever approach seem most promising. I also have a climbing stand I could use at a second location.
wabi
amythntr

Re: finally got out!

Post by amythntr »

....glad to see you finally got out Mike....a very simple, relatively inexpensive, requiring no prescription, form of psychological therapy :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: ....hope you get the required treatments of psychological therapy this season! Enjoy! :thumbup:

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

This is great news. Glad to hear you can get back out. Good luck with your season. :thumbup:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Nice to have you posting again and getting back into it, it's good for the soul.
Better check your zero I think your shooting 1/16th to the left :D
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Glad to see you got out in spite of the high temps. It was 86 degrees on opening day(Oct1) where I hunt in southern Michigan. Almost glad I didn't see anything to shoot due to the high temps. Haven't been able to get back out since.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Got me beat - I still have yet to buy a tag!! :shock:

Latest start for me in 50+ years!
Getting itchy now though, so soon methinks!

Best of Luck with the season Sir!
I'm looking forward to the tale!

Cheers,
Matt
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good for you, hope you have a great season.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I'm glad you made out and got to go hunting maybe next time you'll be able to connect and start filling the freezer.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
maple

Post by maple »

Atta boy Mike.. Back in the saddle after a spell..
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple