So how do you guys up north keep your feet warm??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GonHuntin

So how do you guys up north keep your feet warm??

Post by GonHuntin »

Just wondering how you do it! It's starting to get "cold" here and I'm always interested in a better way to keep my feet from freezing in the stand.......I use the chemical heat packs but they seem to give up after just a few hours unless I take them out of the boots and shake them up again........so......what's your secret? What kind of boots and socks do you wear???
A.W

Post by A.W »

I wear Irish Setter boots. 1000 thinsulate and Browning wick socks. Never had cold feet since. If you do a lot of walking and your feet sweat a lot carry some dry socks with you.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
xboman

Keeping feet warm

Post by xboman »

Hello Gonhunting,

wools socks (2 pairs) + rubber hunting boots with felt liners (hunting boots have to be 1 to 1½ size bigger than you normally would wear) + clean dry feet = toaster oven lil piggies

-1st pair of wool socks should be light
-2nd pair should be thick and heavy
all 100% wool or closest to 100% that you can get
(keeping in mind 100% is best)
-boots mentioned above
-clean dry feet
-after that no worries.......just hunt
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I use Gor-Tex Rocky boots 1000 grams Thinsulate 1 size larger than I normally wear, a pair of silk sock liners and then a heavy pair of 100% wool socks. Keep the feet dry, if you have to change socks 2 or 3 times, then that's what you gotta do.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
butch

Post by butch »

I wear insulated rubber boots and then when i get to my stand I stick them in my soft quilted x bow case. Its a extra layer of insulation Like a mini sleeping bag for my feet and have not had cold feet since. Butch
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

A good pair of boots always helps for sure. However, a good warm hat and neck warmer is crucial too. (I wear a ski hat, ski tube, and ski gloves when it's bitter cold.) If you keep your body, neck, and head warm, your boots won't have to be rated -70 to keep your toes from going numb.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
JD Jones

warm feet

Post by JD Jones »

Sorell boots with the felt liners. Get extra liners and you can change em out daily. Also, treat the boots with snow seal.
They weigh a ton, but keep your feet toasty even in central Alaska.
Not a commercial, but there is a large boot store in downtown Fairbanks that carries them in an amazing bunch of sizes. Even my 15s.
JD
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

If your boots don't fit properly(too tight) they will lose their insulating qualities, you have to make sure the heat your feet generate will get trapped somewhere.
JD Jones

warm feet

Post by JD Jones »

Oh yeah, wool socks unless you are alergic. Wool pants and shirt for that matter. Retains 60% of it's thermal quality even when wet. Unlike jeans, which will kill you quick if you ever come to a really rough spot. I suspect lots of the folk who leave early via freezing in the mountains were dressed in jeans. Know of two.
JD off the pro wool soap box, and slinking away 8)
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse.
Hoss not logged

Post by Hoss not logged »

Gonehuntin I think the reason those heater deals quite workin in your boots is because it takes oxygen to run them and after awhile they use all thats in your boot up...Not sure but thats what I surmize... :wink:
If you wear loose boots or have a pair that breathes good they seem to work better..

I purchased some seal skins from the local bow shop. They are like what a scuba diver wears ( neopreme I think spelling mabey wrong) wear a light pair of wool socks under the seal skins to wick out moisture and toasty toes for me... :wink:
maddog

Post by maddog »

Also consider rubbing your feet with super dry non-persperant unscented deodorant right before you put your socks on.........sweaty feet will get colder faster than dry feet. It seems to help!
Bill from Pennslvania
raspberry patch

Post by raspberry patch »

From my days working in the far north, what I have

Sorel boots with heavy felt liners that roomy enough to move inside, such that I wear a sock liner and select either a fine, medium or heavy wool sock.

This keeps me toasty below -40C with no problem.

For steelhead fishing in winter (0C or colder), in the water from sunrise to late afternoon, what I have is 5mm neoprene stockingfoot waders instead of the boots and either else is the same, as above.
wildfowlhunting

Post by wildfowlhunting »

Irish Setter deer tracker boots 1600 grams of insulate and the browning socks as well. I have had used other boots and nothing compares to the Irish Setter.
A.W

Post by A.W »

It's also important that your boots are not so tight that it prevents free blood circulation in your feet. That's a sure fir way of getting real cold, real fast.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

:?
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.