Excalibur Kid pulled it off

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Re: Excalibur Kid pulled it off

Post by XB I GO »

The main reason is that my Dad said so, and not any button buck just that one. That deer was born late, a single and half white. Something weird was going on in the first place. I have learned that every property is different and you treat it that way.

In S. TX the average distance moved by free-range dispersing bucks was 9 miles, but some deer move more than 30 miles. This means the button bucks you protect during the hunting season probably will not be on your property the following hunting season. However, the yearling buck on your property during the season probably has already become established in the area. If not harvested by you, it may very well be on your property next year as a 2.5-year-old buck.

During a typical deer season, hunters take about 20 percent of the button bucks, 50 percent of the 1.5-year-old (yearling) bucks, and 20 to 25 percent of the does 1.5 years of age and older. With this pattern we would expect the deer population to remain stable, with about 35 percent of the fall population being 6 months old, 12 percent of the population consisting of yearling bucks, and 9 percent of the population being bucks age 2.5 years and older (adult).

And the last two percentages tells us that about one in five deer would have a visible set of antlers. If that idea is the “normal” deer population, we can determine what will happen if we changed the harvest by deer hunters- what effect would cutting button buck harvest in half—from 20 percent to 10 percent—have on overall deer numbers and the number of adult bucks?

The model shows that after several years of reduced button buck harvest, the fall deer population would still be stable but it would be 3 percent larger than the “normal” population due to a 12 percent increase in the number of adult bucks. So, cutting button buck harvest in half would result in a small increase in the number of adult bucks. On the other hand, if we reduced yearling buck harvest by half, after a few years we could see a 50 percent increase in the number of adult bucks, a significantly greater impact than achieved by a reduction in the button buck harvest. Another factor is that button bucks have to survive one more year than yearling bucks before they become adults and around here the odds are against them especially when they start to wander far which means crossing a lot of roads. There is also almost no coyote or mountain lion hunting since we're in the City, so a deer by himself is much more vulnerable than a group of deer.

Thanks for asking!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!
wabi
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Sounds like you have it all figured out .
Well see what next year brings for you.
Wasn't trying to be jerky but without all the statistics a dead buck is one less that's gonna be there next year that's the way l see it.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

I believe the idea was to remove that particular button buck because of his unusual characteristics.

I wonder how your statistics match up to the harvest numbers in South Carolina. I am not sure our statistics are watched that closely. They are trying to encourage hunters here to let younger bucks walk. And have implemented a tag system for all deer and bonus tags are for "4 pts to a side" only. Hopefully that will let the remaining bucks get larger
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Funny l have read a lot about a spike never being more than a spike yada... yadda.
A 20 acre woodlot that l hunt in had a very distinct buck for one he was a spike with a very noticeable limp from an incident with a car and had a missing patch of fur on his right side.l watched the lowly spike grow into a 13 point buck that l shot in 2010 so dont assume that a spike will never grow because l have seen it first hand.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/hJB944cw]Image
I'm very glad l had the patience and discipline to let this Lowely spike grow up to be one of my biggest trophies
To date l have still not shot a buck yet this season
because l choose to let them grow another year and I'm fine with that.
I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do for everyone because l think every deer is a trophy.
I'm just making the point that sometimes being a little patient definitely has some rewards if you give it a chance. And you are at the point where you want to really shoot something a little bigger than you have previously .
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

longbow joe wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:10 am
[url=https://postimg.cc/hJB944cw]Image
I'm very glad l had the patience and discipline to let this Lowely spike grow up to be one of my biggest trophies
To date l have still not shot a buck yet this season
because l choose to let them grow another year and I'm fine with that.
I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do for everyone because l think every deer is a trophy.
I'm just making the point that sometimes being a little patient definitely has some rewards if you give it a chance. And you are at the point where you want to really shoot something a little bigger than you have previously .
How many years did it take to go from spike to that?
Nice looking deer. Almost no one around me lets a deer walk. I try to let them walk but I'm not sure it helps
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

4 1/2 my best guess. I didn't pay much attention to him until he was 9 points .He had a twin that my friend shot was l year older made him look small,also started as a spike. Good food in the area definitely helped with o hunting pressure it was only 2 of us hunting the woodlot.