Reserving strings?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cumberlandxbow

Reserving strings?

Post by cumberlandxbow »

My micro 335 likes to eat servings. I had the latch polished which has helped some, but I am still having serving wear issues. The string is in good shape, i just need a new serving. Is there a type of serving material that i could have it reserved with that may last longer ? Any help would be appreciated.
Boo

Re: Reserving strings?

Post by Boo »

It's not the serving material, it's your latches. Use the same as what is on the string. Angel Majesty 0.036". Polish the latches yourself.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If you're still hunting I could send you a used string from my Axe that has a lot of life in the serving left, and you could send me your string to reserve. At the end of this you could keep mine, and yours until you get it fixed / figured out. Do not wax the center serving on my strings! I got a bit of time here & there so don't waffle on getting this offer.

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Thanks for posting I’m starting to have this problem, funny never had this issue before.

To add a question to this subject if I may? Don’t want to hijack this thread. Is there a gap between the string and rail and if so how much? Also, how do you rectify it?
Last edited by ihunt on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
janesy

Post by janesy »

ihunt wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:57 am
Thanks for posting I’m starting to have this problem, funny never had this issue before.

To add a question to this subject if I may don’t want to hijack this thread? Is there a gap between the string and rail and if so how much? Also, how do you rectify it?
No gap. Slight downward pressure actually. I'd be looking to your fasteners on the riser/rail, and the limb pockets bolts . They would have to be very loose before you saw a gap.
Have either of the limbs changed position?

Altho, on one of my micros, the string is slightly, as in paper thicknes, higher off the rail on one side than the other side. I had the rail machined to fit. I assume the machining is slightly off, but the bow functions flawlessly now for seasons, so I don't think about it.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

janesy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:02 am
ihunt wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:57 am

To add a question to this subject if I may don’t want to hijack this thread? Is there a gap between the string and rail and if so how much? Also, how do you rectify it?
No gap. Slight downward pressure actually. I'd be looking to your fasteners on the riser/rail, and the limb pockets bolts . They would have to be very loose before you saw a gap.
Have either of the limbs changed position?

Altho, on one of my micros, the string is slightly, as in paper thicknes, higher off the rail on one side than the other side. I had the rail machined to fit. I assume the machining is slightly off, but the bow functions flawlessly now for seasons, so I don't think about it.
I never had a gap but always questioned it. As I said, recently been having the serving string wear issue. 25 shots and serving worn to crap! Can I say crap? I will check all fasteners. Thanks janesy.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Boo

Post by Boo »

You guys may have a twisted limb. Personality is another story :wave:
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Boo wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:18 am
I don’t understand? A joke or for real?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
janesy

Post by janesy »

ihunt wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:10 am
I never had a gap but always questioned it. As I said, recently been having the serving string wear issue. 25 shots and serving worn to crap! Can I say crap? I will check all fasteners. Thanks janesy.
Oh I thought you had a gap all of a sudden.

I fought serving issues for a while. Even after polishing, sometimes that opens up small voids that were there before. So you can fix one problem and create another. Talk to Boo, he's shown me a lot about servings.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

ihunt wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:24 am
Boo wrote:
No he's serious, a twisted or mishapen limb would cause a gap, or too much down pressure. I'm my case it doesn't go away with swapping limbs. But as mentioned it doesn't make a difference.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

janesy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:29 am
ihunt wrote:
Boo wrote:
No he's serious, a twisted or mishapen limb would cause a gap, or too much down pressure. I'm my case it doesn't go away with swapping limbs. But as mentioned it doesn't make a difference.
Again thanks. I’m going to polish the latch myself during the winter. My strings are in very good condition (stock strings) can I or someone here can re-serve my strings?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
janesy

Post by janesy »

ihunt wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 am
janesy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:29 am
ihunt wrote:

Again thanks. I’m going to polish the latch myself during the winter. My strings are in very good condition (stock strings) can I or someone here can re-serve my strings?
I made my own jig, then learned from Don's direction and Videos to reserve myself. I've rusted up, but for a while there I was reserving all the time and was getting pretty good lol. It's not difficult to do.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
cumberlandxbow

Post by cumberlandxbow »

I had the latches polished as a warranty job thru excalibur. Ive had 2 sets of limbs (failure on a gen 1) and the same issue with both although much better since the latch polish. Owner of a local bow shop told me it is simply a function of draw weight and acute angle created by the narrow limbs....kind of a "just live with it" response. Maybe i should take another look at the latches on my own...
Boo

Post by Boo »

cumberlandxbow wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:26 pm
I had the latches polished as a warranty job thru excalibur. Ive had 2 sets of limbs (failure on a gen 1) and the same issue with both although much better since the latch polish. Owner of a local bow shop told me it is simply a function of draw weight and acute angle created by the narrow limbs....kind of a "just live with it" response. Maybe i should take another look at the latches on my own...
How many shots are you getting on a serving?
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I have had an excaliber crossbow for years and have always had serving wear just about no matter what. I just thought it was cheap material. I thankfully shot bows for years and have everything I need to reserve the string as its a constant thing lol Good luck and buy a string serving tool :eusa-deadhorse: