Fawns first year

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PRB

Fawns first year

Post by PRB »

Do male(buck) fawns, that were born in spring/summer, grow antlers(spikes) in the fall of that same year ?
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

they are "button bucks" in the fall.....little nubbies on their heads, not antlers.

Mike
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Red Label wrote:they are "button bucks" in the fall.....little nubbies on their heads, not antlers.

Mike
I have shot a couple of those things over the years thinking they were medium does. Now I look really carefully before shooting.let three go by my stand tonight only to have a big doe sitting by my car when I left the woods (no it was past legal and I had uncocked my bow :roll:
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks guys. There was a couple of guys talking about it at work. One said what RL said, and the other said that they grow short single spike antlers theyre first year. So after that I wasnt sure, and thought I would go to the place where I knew I could find out...The rest of the story !!! Thanks
tcthomas

Post by tcthomas »

Its actually both. Some male fawns can sport short spikes their first fall.

Tim
PRB

Post by PRB »

Well I did some more google research and found that both are correct. It seems that it depends on the maturity of the doe, nutrition, time of year born, and several other factors such as geographical regions. I just put the string back on my Vixen. I think I'll go out tomorrow morning and see if I can put a stop to one of these bucks antler growth :lol: