how much for butchering

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chessy

how much for butchering

Post by chessy »

how much do you guys pay in ontario for butchering .....
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D :D Chessy it varies.....there's a guy near me that charges as follows:
Up to 200lbs.....$50.00
200lbs & over...$75.00
Skinning..........$25.00

Don't know how good a job he's done..haven't used him, yet :cry: but the local bow shop recommends him! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I know a fella that does it for around $70.00.. Thats just the basic.. He will charge a little more for any custom cuts.. ( Sausage,Jerky etc)

Not to far from Port either chessy,, let me know if you need his number

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

I have a guy that will skin and cut/package for $50.00 but he has no cooler so I only use him in the late season when it's cold enough in his garage for them to hang a while.

My other guy with a cooler charges $60.00.

Mike
ed martin

Post by ed martin »

look up scott saddler he's just out side roseneath, i think it's 705-924-2723, but call 411 warkworth #. He's 45$ to cut and wrap a deer. He also makes kick ass sausage of all kinds. I've used him for years. ps. he's a hat 4 hide depo also.

Post by Guest »

Nothing, except my own time

Hey guys,

I used to think butchering a deer required a great deal of experience and equipment....no so!

Then again, i never thought i was capable of killing a deer (with bow/xbow), tracking, gutting etc.....alone!

Butchering a deer is not as hard as one might think.
SO you no, i wouldn't know the difference between a wing steak and a loin steak....is there a difference????

I start my butchering with a skinning knife (same one i use for gutting), a filet knife and a hand saw.

Hanging from the neck or antlers, i start by cutting off the legs at elbow(front) and knees (back).
I then skin out the legs and seperate hide.
After that, my skinning goes from neck down to hind qtrs...... i never skin from the back end ( i find i get too much hair on my meat).

Once i have the deer skinned, i use my filet knife and with one swipe take each shoulder off.

After the shoulders, i filet out the back straps.
With my hand saw, i cut through the back bone and take my hind qtrs.

The last process is carving out the neck and peripheral meat around the ribs.

I know have two shoulders (roasts)
Two back straps (boneless steaks)
Two hind qtrs (roasts)
Peripheral meats (grinding)

I use a good meat saw to turn those shoulders/hind qtrs. into roasts.
A solid 8" knife to turn the back strap into medallion size steaks.
And electric meat grinder t turn that peripheral meat into sausage.
An electric freezer bag sealer
And most of all, the satisfaction of having done all myself from tree stand
to table fair.

Give it a try
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

guest,

I did my first deer this year. It took some time, but I'm sure with experience I will get better. I did all boneless cuts; small roasts, steaks/chops, stew cubes, kabob cubes(different area), and have some that I will grind and make into sausages or burgers. If you don't have a lot of money to burn, learn to do it yourself. I had only two pages with pictures to use as referance, and think I did an ok job.
TAC

Post by TAC »

I paid $64 (including tax) and that also included the skinning of my deer. I had it done at an abattoir in Trout Creek. I think the name is Northern Meat Packers.

Todd
PRB

Post by PRB »

I dont know how much extra to ship to Canada but I thought someone might be intrested. I did alot of price shopping and warranty, ect...and it seems like a fairly good deal. Good luck http://store.yahoo.com/factorydirect2/wamegr2.html
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
stump

Post by stump »

Scheel's in Pakenham charge $45 to cut and wrap, plus $12 to skin. Scotch Corners charges $50 and $15. Greely General Store charges $45 to cut and wrap, but don't skin. There are several others but the price is about the same.
I butchered one this year and it wasn't nearly as difficult as I'd thought it would be, however, if it's warm out, I'd take it to a butcher with a cooler and let it hang for a couple of days.
bogger

Post by bogger »

hello guys. im a butcher and have been charging $30. a deer. but ill have to put the price up next year. its a small price to pay if you want nice uniform chops cut on the saw, but its very easy to do your self. before i bought my band saw i did mine all bonless off the tailgate of the truck and even now i never do mine on the saw all bonless. i get alot of satisfaction from the hunt right down to meat procesing. i just did a batch of honey garlic sausage yumm!!! my only regrets is i got my first deer this year with my 243. opening day at 9:30 , id rather cut meat during rifle season and spent the rest of the fall with my exomag.. good luck hunting and keep up the butchering. richard
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

My brother's and I butcher our own deer. We work together as a team and can get a deer done in 6 hours or so. All boneless cuts.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded

Post by Guest »

bogger wrote:hello guys. im a butcher and have been charging $30. a deer. but ill have to put the price up next year. its a small price to pay if you want nice uniform chops cut on the saw, but its very easy to do your self. before i bought my band saw i did mine all bonless off the tailgate of the truck and even now i never do mine on the saw all bonless. i get alot of satisfaction from the hunt right down to meat procesing. i just did a batch of honey garlic sausage yumm!!! my only regrets is i got my first deer this year with my 243. opening day at 9:30 , id rather cut meat during rifle season and spent the rest of the fall with my exomag.. good luck hunting and keep up the butchering. richard

:) Would you share your recipe for the honey garlic sausages??? :wink:
Brampton Mike 8)
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:shock: :shock: Opps that was me above...i'm at work & forgot that i'm not automatically logged on as I am at home!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
xboman

butchering and packaging your own

Post by xboman »

Guys,

Butchering and packaging your own deer is quite a rewarding experience.
2 guys can completely butcher and package a deer (1 deer) in 4 to 4½ hrs.

All you should have left is the meat meant for hamburg, sausages, jerky or pepperettes....that's all we pay the butcher for (because of the equipment & lining required).

Here is the simple process:

1.Hang deer by both hind legs

2.remove hide (if not already done)

3.check for hairs on carcass and clean properly

4.using a sawsall or cutall saw cut deer in half along backbone

5.then we like to cut the half deer in 3 sections:
-section 1: shoulder section up to the neck
-section 2: ribcage section to the start of the hind quarters (backstraps here)
section 3: is the hind quarters which are the last ones left still hanging by the legs

Procedure followed is do section 1 first then the other remaining shoulder
Next is the ribcage/backstraps section (1 ribcage at the time)
Then it's on to the hind
You will be left with 2 big bowls of meat chunks good for sausages etc.....They are put in tough freezer bags and brought to local butcher to be taken care of by him.
Lastly the steaks which were layed out on plates are then packaged with the help of a vacum sealer machine ... Voilà.

Our 1st attempt was somewhat of a clumsy affair. Just like hunting though, with experience and practice one gets better with time.
Most of that butchering morning is spent reminiscing about our past hunting expeditions and I actually look forward to it.
To me it's a fitting closer to my deer hunting season.

I leave you with this:

Of all the pleasure I enjoy
In serving friends good food
I must admit the greatest thing
That always lifts my mood

Is when I hear them all exclaiming
As they smile with bliss
"I never knew that venison
Could ever taste like this!"

-Deer Tales and Pen Feathers (1975)

xboman