Meat Grinders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PRB

Meat Grinders

Post by PRB »

I give up. I have looked at several web sites and cant seem to decide on a hand grinder or electric. I do NOT want to go have it processed. I want to do it myself. Anyone with experience and opinion welcome...please. :cry:
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
JD Jones

meat grinder

Post by JD Jones »

:lol: Openion and experiance I got. Just nothing to grind :cry: .
I have always prefered a good heavy cast iron grinder powered by me.
Need a couple of plates too, one for burger and sausage, the other for chili.
Seem to remember a good un at Lehmans lehmans.com a hardware store that caters to the Amish (and everybody else that needs a good tool or lamp, ect)..sorry about the plug, ain't my store :oops: . Honest.
By hand takes longer, but I kinda like it. Same as I like making my own chili powder, and chili while the canned stuff is right out there.
JD
old poop who is into simple
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse.
Wannabeamember

Post by Wannabeamember »

I still have my hand grinder and its too much work in my opinion. I use
an electric OSTER, which cost about $100. new. It makes quick work and is easy to assemble & clean when finished.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks for the help. I'm still looking at several different types, makes, and models. I think I like the "motor ready grinders". Has anyone use one of these or know of someone that does ? http://www.alliedkenco.com/grinders/gri ... _ready.htm
PRB

Post by PRB »

I've been doing alot of research today and I think I found a pretty good deal on an electric grinder. Free shipping ends tomorrow. 450 watt motor w/good price. 5 yr motor warranty. Thought I'd share it incase someone else might be intrested. I think I'm going to give it a try. I just have to get it approved by the boss...I mean I havnt decided yet :lol: http://store.yahoo.com/factorydirect2/wamegr2.html
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Pineyriverbuck wrote:I've been doing alot of research today and I think I found a pretty good deal on an electric grinder. Free shipping ends tomorrow. 450 watt motor w/good price. 5 yr motor warranty. Thought I'd share it incase someone else might be intrested. I think I'm going to give it a try. I just have to get it approved by the boss...I mean I havnt decided yet :lol: http://store.yahoo.com/factorydirect2/wamegr2.html
Sure Pineyriverbuck we understand Image :twisted: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!

Post by Guest »

PRB,
I've got one of the small electric grinders, and it does fine as long as you don't get in a hurry and overload it. Cut the meat into small chunks (1 or 1 1/2" squares) and feed it slowly. I also have a hand grinder as a backup. If you check out yard sales or eBay you should be able to pick one up for just a few $.
A small electric slicer is a big help, too. Plus it has a lot of uses in the spam if you keep it handy. I use mine for slicing bread, summer sausage, lunch meat, and leftover deer roasts. Slice it thin like the deli does roast beef and you'd be hard pressed to know it was wild game!
wabi
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks guest. How long does it take you to process 1 deer aprox. ? Thanks for understanding Gary :roll:

Post by Guest »

PRB,
It's usually an all evening event. Probably 3 or 4 hours from start to finish (clean-up). I have a large wooden top (a section of old maple bowling lane) bench with a meat wrapping paper roll mounted on one end, in my shop (an old blacksmith shop). The shop is unheated, but I have a woodstove, so when I'm ready to start processing I build a fire and stick a coffee pot on the stove :wink:
I hang the deer and cut the bone free sections of meat and lay them on the bench to work with (assuming it's cold enough to have the meat well chilled) From there it's simply a matter of slicing steaks, seperating roasts, slicing jerky meat, and cutting everything to be ground into small chunks. Once the jerky meat, steaks, and roasts are wrapped, I start grinding the burger. I grind it all, then portion it out and wrap it. Then the fun part of cleaning up :lol:
If it's too warm to hang the deer for a day or two, I take it to the processor instead of doing it myself. It's just no fun to try to cut up and package fresh warm meat!
wabi (the guest)

Post by Guest »

my brothers and I usually cut up 1 or 2 elk or moose every year id recomend an electric grinder as big as you can afford at least 1/2 to 1 horse power
if you can find a butcher supply store you can find used or reconditioned
grinders and if you can find a cutlet machine that is best thing we ever
bought
BUCKSHOT

Just a thought

Post by BUCKSHOT »

My parents make Italian sausage all the time with pork, and they have a small electric grinder. It works good but the hopper is small and they have to run the meat through twice. It's great when you start to stuff the casing because it is easy to keep up with!
A friend of mine at work but a heavy duuty super-duper 1 1/2 hp grinder.
It works really great, he can do about ten lb of pork in less than 5 minutes. The problem is that it is too powerfull to stuff casing without a lot of practise and he needs to get his wife to help him. All the sausage is done in less time than it takes to clean the unit!
Sounds like middle of the road is the way to go! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
bogger

Post by bogger »

since i use my grinder to make $$ i spent a bit more , its about 30 years old and runs on 220. not sure of the hp. but i tell you if your going to be doing it and also sausage making is a verry fun hoby its worth the $$ i can load the hopper up with about 50 lb of trimmings and almoast will grind it as fast as you can put it in. last year i rented a small grinder to do some hb for some costomers $%#& thing was crap and i went out and bought one .