Which Broadheads??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntman

Which Broadheads??

Post by huntman »

I have been bow hunting only for a few years, I am using an excalibur exomag that i purchased last season. The bow is amazingly fast and accurate. I am using a fixed 100 grain broadhead (ultimate steel). The head looks rather small but does the trick. I have killed 2 bucks already. My only concern is that on the last kill the blood trail was somewhat minimun and the deer went 400 yards although being hit in the heart and lungs. Should i perhaps be using a mechanical head if so why? and which ones? THANKS
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

huntman everone too their own as to broadheads, I myself really like two so far and that is SlickTricks 4 blade fixed 100gr & 125gr. The other one I like the way it shoots but can not say as to kill power/blood trail is the Montec G5 3blade fixed 100gr.

The Montec G5 needs to be lined up with your flecthing/vanes to fly proper but is easy to sharpen and hits very close to field points.

I by choice stay away from mechanical's as it's in my mind that they will open early or will not open proper if I should make a angled shot. This may not happen, but I myself think it could so I stay with fixed broadheads..

If your fixed 100 grain broadhead (ultimate steel) is working for you then I would stick with it as my main broadhead for now, and try another style after the season is over. SlickTricks and Montec G5's have a 1 1/8" cutting Dia. But if the shot is not placed right the blood trail can sure be litte or none... :!: :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!

Post by Guest »

I've been bow hunting for about 13 years.

The last 5 with my trusty my Exocet.
I had really bad luck in my first year with xbow and using 100gr. Thunderheads.
I almost gave up on xbow and was going to go back to my vertical.
Then, I switched to mechanicals and haven't looked back.

I have shot three deer so far this year, two small (7 pt and 4 pt.) bucks and a dry doe.

All three deer were shot at a distance between 27 and 32 yds.
All three deer dropped within 30 yds of the hit location. And out of sight of my stand location.
All three deer were double lunged w/complete bolt pass through.
All three deer were given a minimum 1/2 hr. to completely expire.
All three were taken with the same Exocet AND the exact same broadhead!!!
I do mean the same exact broadhead, not the same type of broadhead.

I'm using 100gr. NAP mechanicals.
Other than cleaning the blade channel and making certain the blades were still sharp and weren't binding, i did nothing else to the mechanical.

I haven't tried any other mechanical and do give these a double-thumbs- up.
Whatever you choose, do give deer time to expire.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ayep I have heard that 100gr. NAP mechanicals are good broadheads and may try out one before the season is over. I just worry about a glancing shot or the blades opening before they should.. Only way to know is to try one. :wink:
Last edited by GaryL on Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
terry1

heads

Post by terry1 »

I have taken about 15 deer with my Exocet over the last few years with many different types of broadheads. The first 5 were with 2 blade fixed heads since I used them on my 40lb bow before going to the crossbow.Those deer were all down in 50 yards.I did not get a good bood trail once but I saw the deer fall over so it was not needed with twe 2 blade. This year I have been shooting muzzy 100gr 4blades on a gold tip bolt. My thought was if 4 blades fly well on my Exocet why not cut more with more blades it could not hurt anything. So far I have taken two nice bucks this season inclueding one gaint 7 by 7(14pt) which I made a bad gut shot on he still only went 125 yards I think I got some liver on the shot.I also have taken over a dozen wild hogs even reusing the same bolt/broadhead on a few no problem. Blood trail has been better over my two blades,but the 2 blade killed deer just as dead. the muzzys also fly perfect. I will most likey stay with a 4 blade of some type myself as long as they fly well it never hurts to leave a bigger hole. Sometimes you get two much or two many blades and then the combo does not shoot well so look out for that. In the end most any head should work if you are not getting good blood trails you may need to aim alittle lower in the chest that seems to give better blood than a mid line or above chest shot.

Post by Guest »

GaryL,

I shoot the 175lb Exocet with my NAP's.
As far as opening in flight...or not opening at all, i haven't experienced
this.
Same with your bolt glancing off deer concern.
Most of my shots are broadside quartering away. The sharpest angle i've taken....entry was just forward of diaghram, exit was just behind the off leg (crease area).
I've experimented with blade tension. You can do a fine adjustment on these mechanicals with the blade set-screw.
I'm not sure how scientific the adjustment is but there is a notable difference on how tightly or loosely these blades will open by playing with the set screw.
Also, manufacture recommends the semi-oval tension plate be replaced after 5 shots.

Give them a try, the result's i'm getting (entry/exit hole) makes for an easy to follow blood trail.
hunter elite

Post by hunter elite »

i use 100 grain nap spitfires out of my crossbow and have had great sucess with them
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

The last 4 bucks I've killed were with Wasp 100 grains SST hammers - fixed blade. The farthest I have trailed is 80 yards. The shortest 30 yards. The blood trails were good enough for a blind man to follow.

All but one was double lunged. That one was heart shot.

I too am leary of the mechanicals because of the possibilty of premature opening. If it was not for that I would be shooting Wasp JackHammers.

Sorry, but it is very hard to believe that a double lung shot deer would go 400 yards and leave very little blood. Double lung shot deer not only lose blood through the wound but also blow it out their nose and mouth.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Digger

Post by Digger »

I started using Slick Trick 4 bladed broadheads 3 seasons ago and the last 3 deer I have shot were all pass thrus and all fell within 80 yds.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I've been shooting 125 gr. Thunderheads from my Exomag since I purchased it 2.5 yrs ago. I'm 4 for 4 including a 10 pt buck.

Post by Guest »

There's no big trick to picking the best broadhead. Screw the one you like the looks of on an arrow, and shoot it at a target several times. If it groups well and hits where you are aiming, it's a good choice. If it groups poorly, or doesn't hit near where you're aiming try something else.
Now that you've determined it will hit where you're aiming, get it sharp! Not just smooth & shiney, but sharp! Scary sharp! and keep it that way! Check the broadhead(s) for sharpness every time you take one out of the quiver.
I've killed deer with Wasp JakHammers, SlickTricks, G-5 Montecs,.....
They all work as long as they're sharp and you put them where they need to go. And I like to take both lungs out, the deer don't go far if you put a sharp broadhead through both lungs!
wabi
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

I do like the Wasp Boss 100 grain although I find they are easy to dull. Shoot them into a broadhead target once and they seem to be too dull.

I may switch back to the Wasp hammer 100 grain exclusively for next year.

As mentioned above I am leary of mechanicals because it is something else that could go wrong...and especially out of a brute like the Exomax.

Mike

Post by Guest »

Woody Williams wrote: Sorry, but it is very hard to believe that a double lung shot deer would go 400 yards and leave very little blood. Double lung shot deer not only lose blood through the wound but also blow it out their nose and mouth.
Believe it Woody. The buck was shot at 34 yards (yardage pro) arrow went completely through and recovered at 102 yards from where I shot. The buck was found 45 mins after shooting at 400 yards from my stand. The blood trail was very little in MOST spots but a little larger in others. Bizzare but true!
huntman

Post by huntman »

Anonymous wrote:
Woody Williams wrote: Sorry, but it is very hard to believe that a double lung shot deer would go 400 yards and leave very little blood. Double lung shot deer not only lose blood through the wound but also blow it out their nose and mouth.
Believe it Woody. The buck was shot at 34 yards (yardage pro) arrow went completely through and recovered at 102 yards from where I shot. The buck was found 45 mins after shooting at 400 yards from my stand. The blood trail was very little in MOST spots but a little larger in others. Bizzare but true!
sorry guys this is my post. I forgot to sign in.
bj

Post by bj »

i took a manitoulin buck last year and much the same scenerio...this was a double lung shot, complete pass thru and the animal went well in excess of 300 yards...it took six of us, approx. 2 hours to recover him as the blood trail was extremely sparse...the shot was made with a slick trick 100 that tore a massive hole upon exit ??????

Wayne......