They are back

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkaholic

They are back

Post by elkaholic »

:eusa-deadhorse: :eusa-deadhorse:

Wisconsin

Gun hunters and archery hunters want regulated seasons for crossbow hunting.

They say crossbow hunters have too many opportunities for taking the biggest bucks and during the rut.

Figures. But bet you money others in their group are using crossbows too!
Last edited by elkaholic on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ihunt

Re: They are back

Post by ihunt »

All they “the complainers” have to do is go get themselves a crossbow and enjoy what excalibur has to offer, problem solved.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

ihunt wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:34 am
All they “the complainers” have to do is go get themselves a crossbow and enjoy what excalibur has to offer, problem solved.
TRUE , they( the complainers ) have the same opportunity as anyone else :problem:
they just want to complain...... :eusa-deadhorse:

Dave :thumbdown:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Believe me they are NOT just complaining! They are back with bs data and board member support to change how crossbows will be allowed to hunt with in Wisconsin! Our crossbow season and rights are under attack once again! If you live in Wisconsin then make yourself be heard! Only way we will keep our season and rights to hunt with a crossbow.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck to you Badgers! It’s always something! I don’t remember the actual number but success rates among archers is like 10 percent based on licensing and success numbers. After allowing crossbow inclusion in Indiana this number has barely changed. We don’t have our own season just total inclusion. When compound bows finally got over 300 FPS the gun nuts went crazy too! Like said you have to get out and be heard!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
briarpatch

Post by briarpatch »

It's so sad to see hunters arguing among themselves when our sport is under attack from so many others. We should be uniting against common enemies rather than fighting within our ranks
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

They didn’t see crossbow popularity coming?
THE citizen-run Natural Re- sources Board that opened up crossbow hunting to people of all ages just six years ago now ap- pears to be backtracking, toying with the idea of shortening that deer-hunt season.
In the Outdoors
An advisory question to that effect, limiting the crossbow hunt to October and after the nine- day gun deer season, will be one of at least six questions related to potential changes in the deer hunting season framework.
invest in the high-tech shooting gear, only to then limit that op- portunity.
As written previously in this space, what did the state think would happen when they le- galized a more effective, more accurate weapon for taking deer with an arrow?
By Kurt Krueger
And once again, the deer- hunting world has to be asking what is wrong with the Depart- ment of Natural Resources (DNR) and its governing body.
When they made the initial decision from the ivory towers of Madison, hunters statewide were simply pushing to lower the crossbow age limit from 65 to 55.
Proponents were citing age and physical limitations involv- ing shoulders, arms and eyes as a reason for more aging hunters to be included in this exclusive group.
Public sentiment was barely in favor of that change when suddenly, it was determined that Wisconsin should join Michigan and other states that made the wholesale change to allow anyone to use a crossbow.
Under the tentative question that got approved for the spring hearings on April 13 in every county, the board noted that crossbows would still be able to be used by hunters over 60 and disabled hunters during the full archery season.
It’s a travesty that the state would allow and promote the use of more effective weaponry,

Crossbow hunters are suddenly too successful on bucks
in the November rut so the state is toying with the idea of limiting the crossbow season to October and after the
nine-day gun hunt for most. —Photo By The Author
end of the rut-hunting equation. And therefore, they get less of a chance at the very best buck hunting this state has to offer.
Michigan starts its gun-deer hunt on Nov. 15 every year and Minnesota is even earlier than that, while Wisconsin’s nine-day gun deer season opens some- where between Nov. 17 and Nov. 23.Our traditions are tied to an
opener on the weekend before Thanksgiving, and gobs of pro- posals to change that have al- ways failed over the years.
But the Natural Resources Board is still throwing out some other advisory ideas, including a question about adding 10 days to the end of the nine-day gun-deer hunt. The trouble is, that’s not go- ing to help gun hunters shoot more bucks because it comes too
late, after the rut is over.
Also, the agency that ex- tended the archery season to in- clude the Friday before the gun hunt opens and the entire nine- day gun hunt is now asking if maybe there should be a two- day or five-day no-hunt period before the gun-deer season.
That’s a little compromise in favor of rifle-toting hunters, set- tling the woods down before the big hunt and probably saving some bucks from archers in those final pre-hunt days.
It’s all advisory questions for now. Only time will tell on how the proposed crossbow restric- tions shake out.
Mark your calendars now for Monday, April 13, so you don’t forget to weigh in on the spring hearing question-

So suddenly hunters using crossbows are killing 10,000 more deer (51,000) than hunters using traditional archery equipment (41,000), and the state is somehow surprised by that development. They didn’t see that coming?
There’s a huge contradiction in messages being delivered by state officials. While they seem to want to maximize hunting op- portunity at every turn and they always want more antlerless deer taken, they now suggest the elimination of crossbow deer hunting in September?
Go figure. I’ve tried to under- stand the back and forth incon- sistencies of the DNR for decades, to no avail. This is the agency that pushed for the le- galization of deer baiting in 1980, only to switch gears and start pushing heavily for its elimination some 30 years later.
They are now proposing to eliminate most of November to the majority of crossbow hunters because of significantly higher buck-harvest rates than traditional archers.
So in reality, this question is about reducing the cross- bow-related buck harvest during the November breed- ing season — the rut — be- cause some feel too many bucks are being taken away from traditional archers and even gun-deer hunters.
That’s the core of the entire proposal, and with that, they should modify it to include September and October for the sake of antlerless deer opportu- nities. There’s not a lot of seri- ous buck hunting going on in September.
Exploding buck-harvest rates for crossbow hunters are the re- ality, but it certainly shouldn’t come as a surprise.
We’re talking about a weapon that’s often equipped with a high-power, lighted scope that’s easily capable of accurate shots out to 50 yards and beyond. And you don’t have to draw it with a deer standing in front of you, be- cause it’s pre-cocked to shoot at the pull of a trigger.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

We are always fighting over something here in Wi. Must be the cheese. :wtf: Make your voice heard at the Spring meeting. Be vigilant!!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:36 am
Good luck to you Badgers! It’s always something! I don’t remember the actual number but success rates among archers is like 10 percent based on licensing and success numbers. After allowing crossbow inclusion in Indiana this number has barely changed. We don’t have our own season just total inclusion. When compound bows finally got over 300 FPS the gun nuts went crazy too! Like said you have to get out and be heard!
Absolutely!! I remember a few years back here in Texas. People were moaning about crossbow hunters "being able to kill deer out to like 200 yards, just like a rifle". Some people are just ignorant of the facts. After TPWD did a field study, they found "No Difference" in the ability of a crossbow hunter to take game at longer ranges than a traditional vertical bow hunter. Crossbows are now under the same guidelines as "traditional archery" and are allowed in all Texas counties during "archery only season", except Grayson County up near Toledo Bend Lake. Grayson is the only county in Texas that does NOT have a firearms season for whitetail deer. During "rifle season" in Grayson county, you may use your crossbow at that time.
Grayson County produces HUGE bucks! :thumbup:

I'm sure that somewhere online is a copy of the study Texas Parks and Wildlife conducted. If I was a "Badger", I'd be looking or I'd be contacting TPWD by phone to see If I could wrangle up a copy of it!! Just my 2 cents worth!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

briarpatch wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:29 am
It's so sad to see hunters arguing among themselves when our sport is under attack from so many others. We should be uniting against common enemies rather than fighting within our ranks
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Even many years ago my traditional archery mentor friend said that a bow is a bow crossbow included.
Everyone can choose what they want due to their ability and confidence.
He said he would rather see a deer dead with a crossbow than one wounded with a stickbow. I never questioned this.
How true today also .
With civilization encroaching in l see the gun becoming more of a liability anyway.
Why cant these people just stop whining.
Same with politics ....l wont question your stupid cigarettes or your dope if you leave my guns and like hobbies alone. The world is too butt hurt...its crazy
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Post by grouse »

My uninformed guess is that crossbows will survive this challenge in Wisconsin. The numbers suggest that crossbows are pretty popular there with a lot of hunters having invested in crossbows and businesses taking advantage of the market. With no sound biological reason to limit crossbow hunting there isn't much logic to changing. People don't like to have things taken away from them and politicians know it. Many of the crossbow hunters are converted vertical bow hunters and thus the screaming whiners are a shrinking minority. Crossbow hunters should not be complacent, but I think they will prevail.
axiom
350 SE
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

papa bear1 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 pm
briarpatch wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:29 am
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
....very well said PB1....they are all a bunch of crybabies who are selfish and self centered....just the image that many of the "treehuggers" see us as!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I would threaten to join with the gun hunters and traditional stick shooters to have a separate season with limitations on the compound shooters. After that I'd threaten to join the gun hunters and compound shooters to make the traditional shooters pass a competency test before being allowed an archery license. And finally, I'd petition government to make all hunters pass a competency test, make them pay for said tests, and buy a separate license for every method they choose to hunt with...including muzzle loaders. After all, if we're going to be ridiculous, let's get completely ridiculous!!! :roll:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Sounds like a rough patch for crossbow hunters. I am truly sorry for you folks and would support anything I could do from across the country.

Am I understanding correctly that you can only use a crossbow in the designated crossbow season? Or can you use it in rifle and muzzleloader season but just not the specific archery season?