The dreaded dry fire...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FlyingAce

The dreaded dry fire...

Post by FlyingAce »

I know that dry firing is one of the worst things that you can do to a crossbow, or any other bow for that matter, but why? I assume that it will do something, adversely, to an assembly, right?
Jim Mace

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." Gen. George S. Patton

Flying Ace Enterprises Inc.
[url]http://www.flyingaceinc.com[/url]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ayep thats a ImageImage as it could cause your limbs to split. Some one with a higher mathematical skill can explain why :roll: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
FlyingAce

Post by FlyingAce »

Thanks GaryL
Jim Mace

wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Hi flyingace just checked out your website very glad to see your back to doing what you love to do!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ayep FlyingAce thats a neat site ya got there..Keep at it reads like you can do what ever you set out to do..Thats the only way a day at a time. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

In a dry fire, any energy that would have otherwise been transferred to the projectile now gets transferred to the limbs as 100% SHOCK.

that's why the heavier the arrow you shoot, the more efficient and quiet your bow becomes.

Bill T covers all this in his video I think.

Mike
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Red Label wrote:In a dry fire, any energy that would have otherwise been transferred to the projectile now gets transferred to the limbs as 100% SHOCK.

that's why the heavier the arrow you shoot, the more efficient and quiet your bow becomes.

Bill T covers all this in his video I think.

Mike
Thanks Red Label...I had a memmory lapse and could not figure out how to put it...Saved by the forum members again.. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
JD Jones

dry fire

Post by JD Jones »

Just tossing it out for the general knowlege. I once saw a feller dry fire a laminated recurve bow he'd made himself. Wood core, horn inner and glued senew belly. Yep, it did. came to pieces, and the wood core twisted.
He was a sad, sad man.
JD
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse.
bogger

dry fire

Post by bogger »

i was talking to a guy who was at a spostsman show with a horton rep. they dtry fired the bow 40 times with no signs of cracks or other damage. i dry fired my exomag string sliprd through my fingers uncocking it ,i knew i should have taken off my glove . ouchhh! richard
GaryL

Re: dry fire

Post by GaryL »

bogger wrote:i was talking to a guy who was at a spostsman show with a horton rep. they dtry fired the bow 40 times with no signs of cracks or other damage. i dry fired my exomag string sliprd through my fingers uncocking it ,i knew i should have taken off my glove . ouchhh! richard
Well they were doing something you could not see, as I have seen horton limbs explode/split from a dryfire and split from too light of bolt :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
FlyingAce

Thanks all...

Post by FlyingAce »

Thanks for taking a look at my web site. It is a work in progress, so please check back every now and then.

Again, thanks for the dry fire information. I took archery back when I was in the Boy Scouts, and I could not remember how "bad" a dry fire was to the integrity of the bow.
Jim Mace