Re Dot sights

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

canoe13

Re Dot sights

Post by canoe13 »

So in trying to have the lightest bow possible I am looking for a decent red dot sight. I want one with a choice of reticle ( not just a single dot or three dots lined up) that would sit low on the scope rail for a low line of sight.
And I can't spend a lot of money (under $200) Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
xcaliber

Re: Re Dot sights

Post by xcaliber »

Well, I have tried a few over the years, then went back to magnification scopes for the last 20 years, or so. I recently got a shotgun for turkey hunting, new to the sport this spring, hopefully. Anyway, I wanted a small, light, and quick sight for the gun, and decided on the Burris Fast Fire II. Liked it so much I bought a Fast Fire III for my .243 Handgun for deer hunting. The latter uses the longer cover, it's a sun shade. The other cover is just to protect the lens surfaces for transport, etc. They are not interchangeable. The differences are the Fast Fire II has to be removed from the mount to change batteries. And the FF II has on, or off only for the red dot, it's auto brightness, the FF III you can change battery without removing the sight, and it has a four function switch, auto, dim, brighter, and brightest. It will cost you a bit more also, since it's the newer model. You can get the FF II with a Pica tiny mount for under $200. but just under. Both are 4 moa dot I believe. If you want a selection of reticles, and colors you'll have to get another brand. I had the tube style Bushnell Trophy Dot, and it cost like $150 several years back, had it on .50 muzzle loader for 4 years, it was rock solid. My buddy bought the gun but I had to leave the RD on it. Reason I jumped on this post, I'm considering putting one on my Matrix 380, and zeroing at 30 yards. I don't think you'll find anything lighter in this price range, and forever Burris coverage, no questions asked!
Image[url=https://postimg.cc/rKjgbwWB]Image

Image [url=https://postimg.cc/G8DqSPJK]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you use the CVA handgun for deer hunting? I use a TC Contender carbine but might want to try handgun hunting. And I know that the CVA costs less than another Contender barrel.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I will hunt with it this year. I have had it for a couple years, but never got to hunt with it. There are several caliber choices in this model, I chose the .243 for deer sized game. It's a real good shooter, I have the muzzle Loader in .50 cal too! I have hunted with it twice, but have not shot a deer yet with it!

Image[url=https://postimg.cc/F1FLZ04N]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

200$ is a good budget but dont know of red dots with different reticles unless its the cheapest imports on ebay that i wouldnt trust. i have tried quite a few. the Bushnell TRS25 is a good budget red dot but the 3moa size dot for me was a little on the big size and covered too much of the target. its still a good choice 0-30 yards but the Romeo 5 Sig Sauer for little over 100$ has the smaller 2moa dot and the glass is clearer. 50,000 hrs battery life and great warranty/ Vortex has a similar Crossfire red dot for 149$ as well as Tru GLO is the same as the Sig with just a different label. i like the mounts better on the Vortex and they also have a great warranty. they are both super light weight. if you can spend a little more 250-280$ the Leupold Red Dot is better glass and smaller 1 moa dot. the only thing is that it weighs more that the other 2. there is also a Nikon red dot i have and you can find those for 150$ but its my understanding there optics division is no longer in business so i dont know about warranty issues. no perfect scope for everyone but worth a try.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I suggest looking for one with a 3 MOA dot or less. I used a Vortex Venom 3MOA Reflex Sight successfully but moved to a Trijicon SRO 1MOA which is ideal for precise shooting and offering a larger sight window .
A 2 MOA is ideally between the two if you can find one, they are offered but not sure in your price range.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Greetings. I have used, and still continue to do so, The Tru-Glo Multi-Dot sights. The kind I use have the adjustable Descending dots. The further apart the dots are, depends on what speed setting that you use. Have been using them for ten years. Original one broke last season. Unfortunately, Tru-Glo stopped making them. You can still find them on ebay, and Amazon had them, the last time I checked... Yea. They are budget priced, but I can honestly say that I have had NO accuracy issues, at all with them. All shot into 4" circles, out to 50yds., max. With 40 being my limit, anyhow. Good enough for Deer Hunting... Good luck
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
jdmax

Post by jdmax »

Ultra dot. I use the match dot from them on everything from crossbow, shotgun,muzzleloader and a 45-70 pistol. Thousands of rounds combined and never a hiccup.
JDMAX
Normous

Post by Normous »

jdmax wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am
Ultra dot. I use the match dot from them on everything from crossbow, shotgun,muzzleloader and a 45-70 pistol. Thousands of rounds combined and never a hiccup.
JDMAX
The Ultra Dot Match has a desirable feature, the ability to adjust MOA dot size from 2, 4, 6 and 8 MOA. All in at 4.8 oz I see.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
jdmax

Post by jdmax »

Normous wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:03 pm
jdmax wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am
JDMAX
The Ultra Dot Match has a desirable feature, the ability to adjust MOA dot size from 2, 4, 6 and 8 MOA. All in at 4.8 oz I see.
All of this and 11 brightness settings, and great battery life. They truly are awesome. This is one of the top choices for big bore handgun hunters. This biggest problem I have seen with red dots is the starburst effect of the dot. The main thing to do is match the brightness with the daylight. Turn them as low as possible in low light. Some don't have enough different settings and will be too bright and wash out the target in low light. Not a problem with the ultra dots.
JDMAX