Need some Advice on What Crossbow to Buy??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

10Ring

Re: Need some Advice on What Crossbow to Buy??

Post by 10Ring »

underdog wrote:the Exomax is a nice bow but it just seems that recurve is old and outdated because of the recurve.
Any advice would be great!!!
Looks can be deceiving.

From 1996 to 2003 I was heavily involved in 3D shooting and helping to run the events at our local club. 3D has "collapsed" in this end of the Niagara Region and I am back into trap shooting.

However, I did a lot of "high volume" shooting for a number of years where the number of bolts shot ranged in the 1,000's/year.

IMHO, folks can buy what they like but for my own use, I will only consider the Excalibur recurve. The reason is logical and experienced based, described in the lengthy narative that follows......

My bias towards Excalibur recurve crossbows has been documented in the past on the forum, a lot. This is based on what I describe as reliability. The reliability ensures that the accuracy will be retained and the point of impact will not shift due to some tuning problem related to cable, string and cam system issues.

The reliability issue is mainly one of string and cable wear on compounds, vert or crossbow. Shoot them just for hunting and occasional practice and they are just fine, they will last for years. Generally when they are shot through a full season of 3D shooting where with practice and the actual shoots, the archer may shoot hundreds of shots/week and the likelihood of problems increases. There are a number of highly stressed, small moving parts like cams, axles, bushings etc.

Some shooters will get a longer life out of their compound strings and cables and that?s great, but the trend in this volume of shooting is that there will likely be something that causes some grief. If you don't mind the occasional problem and are good at dealing with them then the compound could be just the ticket for you.

My personal 23 years of experience with compound verts and many observations of other problems at shoots indicate that a string, cable or serving failure that will put you out of action is very likely. At our February 2002 3D shoot we had three shooters who had to quit part way through the shoot due to string/cable failures they could not repair in the field. These were two vert compounds and an Excal. Paradox.

I am able to change a string, in the field in minutes and the recurve crossbow will retain the exact same point of impact, there is absolutely no need to sight in again. To me, this is very important for my enjoyment of shooting.

As for accuracy, they will shoot better than most of us can hold. On a day with no wind, when I am in my best form, I can hit a playing card at 50 yards offhand; I STRESS, this is strictly target shooting/3D/Practice type stuff, I do not advocate for one second shooting at live game at this range. Off the bench on a 20 yard indoor range you can shoot a bolt from my Vixen into a fresh target, go up pull the bolt, cock and load it again and shooting it into the same hole.

The advantages of the Excalibur, aside from the limb/string system and accuracy we like to expound on, are;

1. IMHO Best trigger in the business, all models share this trigger.

2. Top release latch mechanism which allows the use of flat base nocks, no cock fletch required, no special nocks. All models share this feature. The Horton doen't have this.

3. Aluminum deck on all models, not just the most expensive models.

4. Components are often improved but the critical dimensions match existing models, i.e. you could retrofit a 1994 manufacture Exocet with a machined riser and or limbs with Mag Tips. Some models in other brands become obsolete, i.e. steel cable assemblies can no longer be obtained for some models, you have to find a shop that can still make up steel cables.

5. Simple, solid scope mount system.

6. There are three separate scope models, you can chose one that works with your crossbow and it's velocity/trajectory.

7. They address any question very quickly, at least more quickly, thoroughly and accurately than any vert archer manufacturer I have delt with in the past 20 years.

8. Good line of simple, proven accessories that work well with the crossbow.

9. Repairs seldom required, if they are needed, Excal. works with the owner and makes sure it is made right.
10Ring
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

I agree with all that 10 Ring has said. I have been shooting xbows for over THIRTY YEARS. You name it, I have shot it-Jayhawk, Hank Roberts, Early Barnetts, WHAMO, Saxon, San Marino, DACO, CRISBOW, DAVE BENEDICT, Horton (three decades worth), modern Barnetts, Hunter/Tenpoint, AUSBOW, Pennypacker, Ward Style Trackless, Bailey Style Trackless, PSE, Parker, Swissbow.

Excalibur is the only one I hunt with. Its the only one I recommend to those who want to hunt with a crossbow who come to my shop. Its the bow I have won 4 out of the last five Ohio state Indoor titles with (the other one I used a 1200 dollar AUSBOW)
Digger

Post by Digger »

Underdog, I have had 3 Vixens, 3 wolverines,an Exocet, a Paradox and an Emag over the last dozen years and found all had uncanny accuracy and reliability. the Paradox shoots at a shade over 340 fps, while the Emag shoots at 330 fps. Which ever Excalibur you buy you can't go wrong. No one on this forum has sold their Excal because they didn't like it or was inaccurate, they sell to upgrade their xbows.
A few reasons to go Excal.

Digger

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
underdog

Post by underdog »

Thanks everyone for your excellent response!!!

My decision has been made clear!!!

George
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

If your still thinking of a Paradox, I beleive the Bow Shop in Waterloo had a used one there about a month ago. Give George a call or drop in there.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I went through the same thought process a year and a half ago. I looked at : Ten Point, Great Lakes, Horton, Barnett, and Excalibur. I was leaning towards a compound bow myself for the more compact size. In all fairness," the compact size", was about the only feature compounds had over the Excalibur recurves.

Here's what I discovered:

Accuracy is nothing less than superb with the Excalibur recurve. The trigger is simply one of the best in the business. Not some cheap, high poundage antiquated device. You will notice Excaliburs will handle almost any broadhead quite well, while some compounds only do well with mechanicals. Also, there are no wheels to tune; a further improvement to accuracy.

Weight and balance is much better with the recurve. It handles like a fine over and under shotgun.

On an accidental "dry fire" or if a string breaks, I can change the string on the spot in a manner of a few minutes. With a compound, the hunt is over and the high cost of cables, wheels, and possibly cracked and broken limbs may be in order. Not to mention a trip back to the store to the bowpress and possibly being out of commission for many weeks if parts are not on hand.

Warranty service is a priority at Excalibur. I've experienced it over a scope. Within a few days a new one was at my door. No hassles, no fuss.

As you can see, my focus was on accuracy and reliability. On these basic features, there is no equal. Excalibur was, and is, still above the rest. I decided on the Exomag and would buy one again in a heart beat.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

Pretty much everything has been said but i will say the excalibur is the most accurate crossbow built or competition shooters wouldn't be using them.It's rare to see any other brand name at the shoots at least in my area anyway and they sure don't take any hardware home.I have tried the horton's and they are smaller to carry but thats a big price to pay for acurracy and reliability.I shoot a Vixen for 3d and deer huntin and love it.Plenty of power.
underdog

Post by underdog »

Thanks everyone!!!
I ordered a brand nex Exomax today and i pick it up Thursday

The decision got easier because of your expeience's and knowledge!!!

i will talk to you all as soon as i get to the field and get trying it!!!

Thanks agaian
George from kitchener
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Image went with the BIG DADDY of all cross bows :!: better be doing some push-up's and heavy arm lifts between now and when ya pick it up... :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!

Post by Guest »

No Doubt Gary!!!

It should be a great bow!!!
Thanks again for all your info.
George
Evan

Post by Evan »

I had a Maxpoint (same as Paradox) which I converted to an Exomag. My experience ... you can't go wrong with an Excalibur recurve!!!

Evan
ed martin

Post by ed martin »

underdog, I shot my first x-bow deer this year at 20 yds and got a compleat pass through, never did find the arrow.That was with my exocet. y spend all your $ on a few extra fps.(that u don't need)? :wink:
A.W

Post by A.W »

Excalibur after sales service.....Second to none.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.

Post by Guest »

i fugured that iw ould go for the gold Ed!!!
besides not my money,wifes money!!(Ha Ha)
No its my Birthday so she is contributing,and i like that one.
thanks again to everyone!!!
George
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

You would think we forum members get a commision from every sale the way we "sell" them :lol: :lol: .

Except for a troll awhile back, I think there are very few, who once go with an Excalibur, are ever disappointed. Underdog, welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new hunting partner. It won't be long before you make your first "sale"! :D