Need some Advice on What Crossbow to Buy??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

underdog

Need some Advice on What Crossbow to Buy??

Post by underdog »

I have been hunting for years and i used to own a Horton Exp Crossbow.
i have been out of xBow hunting for a while and plan to get back into it asap.I have looked at several bows over the last few days and i am so undecided.I am sort of leaning towards another horton(legend xl 175) but
i know that the exomax is supposed to be the greatest bow ever.Ilike the compound type and keep leaning that way, smaller more compact and i also like the looks of it, that said the Exomax is a nice bow but it just seems that recurve is old and outdated because of the recurve.
Any advice would be great!!!
George from Kitchener!!!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

underdog as you will be the one using it get what you like, no arm twisting here.... :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Digger

Post by Digger »

If you like compound xbows and you like excalibur You may find a archery shop around that still has a Paradox in stock. They stopped making them this year, but they are a good xbow. I love mine.

Digger

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
underdog

Post by underdog »

Thanks Gary
i know i am the one going to use it, I just want to get the best for the buck.I have not been able to find any test comparison"s to see which one preforms better!!
Thanks
George
underdog

Post by underdog »

Thanks Digger

I do have a friend that has a Paradox,Nice Bow!!!
I was told that they are not making that any more because of some problems with the compound part and the Manufacturer (bear/Jennings)i believe has gone Broke!!!
What is that long black part on the far side of your bow???
Thanks
George
Digger

Post by Digger »

Bear Archery is now making their F series xbow and looks pretty much like their Maxpoint. Same weight 175 lb., same speed 340 fps, same limbs. Bear Archery is still in busness. They just dont need competion from themdelves. See their ads in Horizontal Crossbow magazine.

Digger

http://www.fredbearoutdoors.com/products/crossbow.tpl

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
underdog

Post by underdog »

Thanks digger!!
That info about them going under came right from Excalibur i think.
TThe guy who i might buy the Exomax was there today and asked if there is any Paradox left.They told him there was none available through them.
He then said about possible problems and the chapter 11 with the limbs!!
i am just concerned that i will pay $1100 for an exomax when i can get the same performance from a horton around$700. But i would like the best!!! Thanks for all your help again!!!
George
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

That looks like the same stock and all Digger...I still want the Pardox :!: :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

underdog wrote:Thanks digger!!
That info about them going under came right from Excalibur i think.
TThe guy who i might buy the Exomax was there today and asked if there is any Paradox left.They told him there was none available through them.
He then said about possible problems and the chapter 11 with the limbs!!
i am just concerned that i will pay $1100 for an exomax when i can get the same performance from a horton around$700. But i would like the best!!! Thanks for all your help again!!!
George
Not putting Horton down underdog, but think this one over...If you should happen to hit your string or cable while out hunting with your broadhead and cut the string...you day is done, not so with Excalibur just put a new string on..How about the cams :?: I have seen them lock up..not so with a recurve, and performance is with the shooter and the bow not just the bow. On the other hand 1100.00 vs 700.00 I would also be doing a little
Image :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
underdog

Post by underdog »

Thanks gary!!!
What kind of bow do you have???
do you know how the exomax and the paradox would differ from each other in duarbility,flat shooting,noise??
Thanks
George
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I have all the Excalibur models but one, I still have a Pardox to get :shock: Digger can answer your question better as he has both..The Pardox and Exomag. I did have a TenPoint Stealth X2 which my youngest Son now has (WILDWINDOM) and my oldest Son just purchased a TenPoint Q4 today :oops: Tried talking him into a Exomag but he's a wheel man. :wink:
Last edited by GaryL on Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

BooBooo :oops:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
underdog

Post by underdog »

Thanks Gary!!!

I am Just confused on what is the best buy!! It is a big investment, but either way both bows will work!!! i know there was a recall on the 175's from Horton but they are supposed to have fixed that problem.
i just do not want to be dissapointed with either bow!!
I am sort of a wheel guy myself i guess, they look smart and seem to work great,but the guy who sells the Excalibur here where i live says he has one(Exomax) and swears buy it not at it!!! They are the fastest bow out there supposedly, but are they the hardest hitting?? i do not know!!!
i have ordered one for thursday, My friend who has the paradox will sell me his but it is a year old and he wants around $700-$800 for the complete package. $300 dollars more i can get a new Exomax with everything but no Wheels!!! Confused!! :?: :idea: :?: :?:
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

They have not fixed the problem as yet...they are working on it and advised my son today NOT to buy one as they are all on recall. That is what he started to buy and called Horton about it, I told him to get Excalibur or if he had to have wheels go TenPoint which he did. Take your time, think it out.. But you will not go wrong with a Excalibur..
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Underdog,

An Excalibur outdated because it is a recurve? Absolutley not! Guaranteed accuracy, 3" or better at 20yards with broadheads(you can expect better, as in same hole better). Plenty of power and kinetic energy, pass throughs seem to be the norm(better blood trail). Outstanding service; I heard of a guy who was out bear hunting, dry fired his bow resulting in either a cracked limb(rare even with a dry fire) or just uncertainty as to whether or not it was safe to continue. He had a week left of hunting. He called Excalibur and they sent him replacement limbs via same day courier(in exchange for the damaged ones to make sure it was not a manufacturing problem), and was back hunting the same day! Ease of string changes. And the best of all......the guys here on the forum! If you have a question someone here will have an answer.

Since I began shooting an Excalibur(last year), I have doubts as to whether or not I would use a powderburner on big-game again, and I love a good old lever action or bolt action for walking around in the woods. There's just something about using a crossbow that makes me leave the other stuff at home. The only exception would be is if I was to get another .45-70.