We all like to think we have free will and make our own decisions in life, but in actual fact, we are programmed at an early age by social conditioning.
Social conditioning is a set of rules and behavior dictated to us by society. It’s very easy to see how we as individuals can be conditioned in this way.
No one wants to stand out when they are younger. We all want to fit in. If you are different, you are bullied, ridiculed and ostracised from popular groups.
We soon learn to fall in line with whatever everyone is doing, saying, wearing, wanting, even believing. So how does it start and who conditions us?
The thing is, this kind of conditioning begins as soon as we are born. Parents immediately reinforce gender differences. Parents tell girls to behave in a quiet and polite manner and boys must not cry.
Teachers take on the baton and steer boys towards scientific subjects such as maths and physics. On the other hand, girls are pushed to creative topics. Our newly qualified graduates head out into the workplace.
Adverts bombard them with messages on what to wear, what to look like and who they should like. This constant drip-feeding of nudging and reinforcing the right responses actually affects our behavior without us really knowing.
So what can you do to break free from conditioning?
- Don’t be afraid to question or confront people about their behavior.
- If you see something you don’t agree with – say so.
- Don’t surround yourself with like-minded people. You’ll only reinforce your own views.
- Watch media from different sources. If you only ever read one newspaper, switch to another.
- Do your own thing! Live by your own rules. So what if you don’t earn a lot of money? Do what makes you happy!
- Finally, recognize when your behaviors or beliefs are a result of social conditioning and work to change them.
- Above all else, don't listen to politicians who are self-serving and who's sole objective is to fulfill their own needs at any cost.
Therefore I would think now, more than ever, is the time to think for ourselves, LEST WE BECOME SHEEPLE.
Just some food for thought!