will it fit??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

will it fit??

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Going to be getting a Marlin 336 for my grandson soon and hoping to pair it with a Vortex 3-9x50 Crossfire 2 and a DNZ mount with high rings.Don't know if it will fit yet. Has anybody tried this or should I drop down to a 40 mm? I like the v brite reticle so if all else fails, I could put the 50mm and my gun and give him my old scope! :eusa-whistle:
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
bobcattrapper

Re: will it fit??

Post by bobcattrapper »

Put another scope on it. His cheek weld will be too high. Those are brush guns anyway and the smaller compact the better. 2x7x32.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

bobcattrapper wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:12 pm
Put another scope on it. His cheek weld will be too high. Those are brush guns anyway and the smaller compact the better. 2x7x32.
Yep, unless you're going to be shooting out into fields, that's way more scope than is practical. I have 3x9x40 on my .44 magnum rifle, and never moved it from all the way down when hunting.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I'll say this...if you put a scope with a 50mm objective on a lever action, your asking to get smacked by the stock! :shock:
Your cheek weld is way off from where it needs to be. And the recoil generated by a 30.30 round from a lever can be quite a shock to a youngster.
Vortex, Nikon and a host of other manufacturers make some very good low profiles in either 1.5-4 or 2x7 configurations which in my humble opinion would better match that rifle. :wave:

And if you're just asking opinions, and you haven't purchased the rifle as of yet, I'd look into a Model 7 Remington in 7mm-08. Less recoil, better rifle, and as he progresses in his hunting career, you can put that combo to use in many situation from whitetail to antelope.
Once again, just my humble opinion!! :D

Andy
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!