Fawn encounter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Fawn encounter

Post by grouse »

My wife and I drove up to the town near our farm last Saturday to pick up the meat of a hog we had butchered and bring it back to our suburban home. For the trip back, I decided to take a shortcut over a paved county road. As we neared a hilltop a doe and tiny fawn (tiny as in probably born that morning) stepped out onto the road, I slowed down and the doe ran back to the roadside but the fawn laid down on the road as flat as it could and stayed motionless. It was a dangerous spot because we couldn't see vehicles coming from beyond the nearby hilltop. I turned the flashers on and my wife jumped out and ran to the side of the fawn and clapped her hands and yelled to try to get the fawn to run toward where the doe had gone. The fawn remained motionless. Rita (my wife) then scooped the fawn up and carried it to some tall grass near where we had last seen the doe and set it down, where it laid still. About that time a pickup truck sped by.

We drove off, hoping for the best. Some non hunters might think it strange for someone who might kill that deer in the future to be concerned about its welfare. I'm sure no one reading this needs an explanation.

One last off topic comment. A consequence of the coronavirus has been a surplus of hogs because of processing plants being forced to close. Farmers have been killing their hogs and burying them because there is no place to take them. We were able to buy a hog for $.50 lb. (live weight) and have it taken to a small, local butcher shop (the kind that processes deer) to be processed. Our final cost including ham, bacon, sausage, chops, roasts, ribs etc. came to $2.07 lb. You would be helping a farmer out and getting some good meat at a bargain price if you want to do this.
axiom
350 SE
Normous

Re: Fawn encounter

Post by Normous »

Good Karma.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hey Grouse...
You're right I think all of us on here get it! If you love the outdoors, you love everything about it. Anti's will never get the "big picture".
If it wasn't for the fawns, or the turkey poults, then there would be no tomorrow, or next season for us, or our kids and grandkids.
We as hunters, outdoorsmen and outdoors ladies :D, get the BIG PICTURE!! GOD gave us enough sense to be able to see past the ends of our noses!! :wink:

And yes, even here locals are selling hogs pretty dang cheap. Do you local farmers a favor, BUY THIER HOGS!!! :mrgreen:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Jack Pine

Post by Jack Pine »

grouse wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:34 am
My wife and I drove up to the town near our farm last Saturday to pick up the meat of a hog we had butchered and bring it back to our suburban home. For the trip back, I decided to take a shortcut over a paved county road. As we neared a hilltop a doe and tiny fawn (tiny as in probably born that morning) stepped out onto the road, I slowed down and the doe ran back to the roadside but the fawn laid down on the road as flat as it could and stayed motionless. It was a dangerous spot because we couldn't see vehicles coming from beyond the nearby hilltop. I turned the flashers on and my wife jumped out and ran to the side of the fawn and clapped her hands and yelled to try to get the fawn to run toward where the doe had gone. The fawn remained motionless. Rita (my wife) then scooped the fawn up and carried it to some tall grass near where we had last seen the doe and set it down, where it laid still. About that time a pickup truck sped by.

We drove off, hoping for the best. Some non hunters might think it strange for someone who might kill that deer in the future to be concerned about its welfare. I'm sure no one reading this needs an explanation.

One last off topic comment. A consequence of the coronavirus has been a surplus of hogs because of processing plants being forced to close. Farmers have been killing their hogs and burying them because there is no place to take them. We were able to buy a hog for $.50 lb. (live weight) and have it taken to a small, local butcher shop (the kind that processes deer) to be processed. Our final cost including ham, bacon, sausage, chops, roasts, ribs etc. came to $2.07 lb. You would be helping a farmer out and getting some good meat at a bargain price if you want to do this.
Friend of mine had the identical thing happen; so much so that I thought he was posting at first. Sent me this pic.

Which I could not post for some reason?
I became a treehugger the day my climber slipped.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

It was nice of you and your wife to save that fawn from almost certain death beside the road. That could be a young hunters first kill, or feed a mans family during hard times.

My oldest daughter got me into raising pigs. She would enter the Pig Scramble at our state fairs and catch them for us. At last count she had caught over a half dozen in 4 years. She is to old to participate now but her little sister has already caught one. If you do the math we have home-raised a ton of pork from those little piglets.
Our pig pen is never empty for very long.
Take care
Hatchet
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

we have a friend who raises pigs and we are on a list but the butcher shops are backed up and we may have to try one ourselves
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

This one was likely born the same morning of the photo. Based on the few photos I got, walking was still a new thing.
It's easy to forget how small they are when they are born.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Great pic DuckHunt!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Rolled a fawn under our 4x4 ., Just missed the doe.

Pulled over and stopped. Doe came back. Fawn having trouble getting up on asphalt. After a few trys it managed to hobble off .

Small spot of blood on road , but little guy was up on all fours.enough to make it into the woods. Hip looked a bit road rash.

Not much I could do ! ?

Its that time of yr. No visible damage , not even on the plastic bumper skirt.

So in the evenings , I'm driving under the speed limit. Slowing down !

I didnt really see it. Just felt a thunk so I'm guessing a tiny guy few days old.