Sick Exomag

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerslayr

Sick Exomag

Post by deerslayr »

My exomag seems to have lost some power. I fired it yesterday twice and each time the arrow hit the ground after about thirty to forty yards. Tonight I took a shot at a forky with my game tracker attached and it hit the ground at 20 yards. Any advice?
If you can't take a good shot, don't take a shot.

Dan R.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Question - Did you leave it strung or cocked in a hot car?
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
deerslayr

Post by deerslayr »

Nope. Last week I took a shot with my game tracker on it to see how far it would go and it went about 100 yards. Then I fired it a couple more times into the ground after that when I was done hunting and on Sunday it just seemed weak.

Dan R.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Check your brace height, if its to low you lose a lot of distance.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
deerslayr

Post by deerslayr »

It was a little under an inch so last night I gave it a couple of twist and put it a little over an inch. I just don't understand what is going on every thing looks good and tight. Could it be caused by the string wearing out.

Dan R.

Post by Guest »

Have all the shots been with the gametracker in use?
wabi - nli
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I think Wabi is on the right track. Sounds like your tracker device is not functioning correctly. Try without it.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
deerslayr

Post by deerslayr »

The two shots that I took on Sunday were not with the game tracker and they both hit the ground at about 40 yards.

Dan R.
fletch

Post by fletch »

Try a new string and use the process of elimination. Hopefully that is all thats wrong.
deerslayr

Post by deerslayr »

Thanks for the advice, if you think of anything else please post it. Any way the good news is I finally got to take a shot today after two weeks of nothing. A doe passed me about six feet away at the same place where I shot the eight pointer as he walked by me. A forky that was chasing her went up the other side of the ravine and crossed right in front of me. Better luck tomorrow I hope and I don't think I will use the game tracker.

Dan R.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

deerslayr e-mail excalibur and see what they have to say about the problem.

If your string is set at the proper brace height, and your bolts are good it reads like your game tracker is hanging up...But you stated it also shot bad with out it. Are ya getting your bolts back against the string 100% :?:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Mark nli

Post by Mark nli »

Deerslayer, did the bolt travel at somewhat of a normal speed and then hit the ground??The next question is if it did are you shooting a scope??? It the bolt is fast but impacting low you may have a scope/mount failure?

Just a thought. I used to shoot a 2.5 power tasco pronghorn and it sounds like what happend to me.

Mark
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Is the string resting against the rail properly? Is the leaf retension spring holding down the arrow with enough tension? What kind of arrows/nocks are you using?
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Boltejector

Post by Boltejector »

I had the exact same thing happen on my Ten Point. There turned out to be a hairline crack in the limb near the pocket. What you described is nearly identical other than the Crossbow.
deerslayr

Post by deerslayr »

Thanks for all the help I have looked this crossbow over and over, everything looks good and tight. I put one in the bullseye at twenty yards and it sunk into my block crossbow target to about three inches from the fletch. So is it the crossbow or me? I’m feeling quite stupid at the moment. Anyway I will finish hunting this week without the game tracker because after shooting the target I feel confident that I have more than enough velocity and energy to get the job done. I’m going Pheasant hunting this weekend and heading out to Ohio the first of the week so it will have to wait awhile. Again thank you all very much for you help.

Dan R.