How many chances?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hatchet

How many chances?

Post by Hatchet »

How many chances does one guy get to take a turkey? So far this year for me... three.
#1. Early season, left at noon to sneak down to the house for coffee, bathroom break and a sandwich. Was expecting a package so the daughter and I walked to mailbox. As we got back near the house I saw Mrs.Hatchet waving her arms like her hair was on fire. "The turkeys are up there" she squawked. A large group of turkeys were at the decoys, the Tom's were taking turns beating on the jake decoy. Four of them plus 6 hens. I grabbed my crossbow and started sneaking up back. Left without cover I hit the ground and started belly-crawling toward them. When I got about 30 yds from them I loaded an arrow with a Magnus bullhead and readied for the shot. When I squeezed the trigger I saw the arrow fly way over the Tom's head. Turkeys scattered in every direction. I had used the wrong triangle in the scope. Aim high miss high. End of chance #1

#2. Mid season, Hunting with Mrs.Hatchet a Jake comes to decoys and again I aim for the neck squeezed the trigger and shoot over the top of his head. This time Mrs.Hatchet has the Browning 12 gauge in the rest, "shoot" I whispered. "I can't" she whispers back "he's moving". "Shoot him" I whisper again. The shotgun roars turkey flops and she gets her first turkey. I was shooting freehand and flinched at the shot. End of chance #2

#3 Today, no blind, Mrs.Hatchet and I sitting on the ground camo, face paint, crossbow in the Dead shot rest softly calling we had only been out for 10 minutes here comes a nice Jake. At 8 yards as he passes behind a large beech tree I lean into the crossbow,ease the safety off. When he comes around the tree he notices that I have moved, and shoots straight up into the air about 15 feet. Flies over my hen decoy and hits the ground running into the thick newly green woods. Didn't even get a chance to shoot. End of chance #3

At his point I am thinking maybe I should give up chasing these birds till next year. Maybe take up something I could be successful at like basket weaving or knitting. But I know better than to try that. I am going to drag some more equipment into the woods and continue to try to fool a bird with a brain the size of a golf ball. Please wish me luck and if you get a laugh out of this story make it a good long hearty one.
Hatchet
deadeer

Re: How many chances?

Post by deadeer »

Shoot bro, that's nothing! I blew 7 or 8 chances this season. Was using shotgun, but it didnt make any difference. Had a boss at about 8yd. He needed 2 steps but decided otherwise. Had them at 57yds 3 times, 50yds once. Got out of setup twice and had them looking at me. Finally decided to shoot a jake on last day. First jake ever, and last jake ever. Not worth the hassle with such minimal meat yield and of course no prize of beard or spurs.

Hey, GOOD LUCK to you tho. Keep after them till your season is done. Quite a spell till deer season still.