AXE 340.... Very Pleased!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Re: AXE 340.... Very Pleased!

Post by Farmer »

I am looking at the Axe myself ,since my cervical fusion my Y25 and M380 are more than I can handle ... An axe withe the new cranking device ( Don says they are awesome ) are on my to buy list for this falls hunting season
Last edited by Farmer on Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Again you won't be disappointed . Of course you will be buying the renamed model .
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Farmer wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:23 am
I am looking at the Axe myself ,since my cervical fusion my Y25 and M380 are more than I can handle ... An axe withe the new cranking device ( on says they are awesome ) are on my to buy list for this falls hunting season
Just FYI: The effort needed to cock Excaliburs depends on the limbs they come with. When I was shopping for the Axe, I went to BassPro and used a cocking aid to cock it, and I had no problem. So I decided to purchase one. Unfortunately they didn't have the Dealer Only model, so I ordered the Kryptec from elsewhere. To my surprise, when it arrived, I could not cock it no matter how much I shorten the rope. So I got the crank.

Since, I could cock my M380 without a crank, and preferring to use the cocking aid, I would periodically try to cock my Axe without the crank. With time, determination and perseverance, although it wasn't easy, I was also able to cock the Axe.

Later, when I replaced the limbs on both my M380 and Axe, to my surprise, I found the M380, due to the beefier limbs, harder to cock, however the Axe for some reason became easier.

Therefore, I suggest when buying an Excalibur that one should try cocking the one they intend to purchase.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Hard to get anywhere around here to try one Comfy , Covid Restrictions messing things up ..
2019 Bulldog 440

Post by 2019 Bulldog 440 »

I love my Mag 340 in Kryptec Raid Camo. It looks like how a crossbow is supposed to look. I have not had a chance to shoot it since I purchased it but I have some stock Proflight 16.5” bolts along with 150GN BH’s and some Dragon Claws with lumenok which weigh the same. I only shoot lumenoks which are a bit more expensive but that’s what I like. This crossbow will perform at its best soon. I also paired it up with a set of pink custom stri ngs which looks a little weird but it’s ok for me. I don’t think the animals are going to care about the esthetics.
Own:
2019 Bulldog 440 MOBUC
2020 MAG 340 Kryptec Raid
Wish:
to have the rest of the newer 2020 Excalibur crossbow’s with QLT. :eusa-violin:
curious

Post by curious »

The Axe is a great bow I have the Kryptek Raid and love the bow. I removed the air brakes and ravs and replaced the excalibur bumpers with Dr. Stirrup bumpers. As far as I can tell no difference in noise or vibration. :eusa-dance:
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40, HHA Tetra XB
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 strings
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Funny, after reading all the other posts I am kind of opposite. I have a hard time cocking the M380 but I can cock my Mag340 with no problem. I am using the Dr. Stirrup 4X4 cocking rope adjusted to the right length for each. I don't need no stinking crank....lol
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

XB I GO wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:57 pm
Funny, after reading all the other posts I am kind of opposite. I have a hard time cocking the M380 but I can cock my Mag340 with no problem. I am using the Dr. Stirrup 4X4 cocking rope adjusted to the right length for each. I don't need no stinking crank....lol
I visited an archery shop last week. While they were putting new cables/string on my compound bow, I got a chance to cock & shoot the Mag 340. I will add that I have never shot a crossbow before.

I went in wanting to try the Mag 340 and a model of the Ten Point. The owner of the archery shop had a well-earned bias towards Mission crossbows even though he was very well stocked with Ravin & Ten Point crossbows. He had a model of the Mag 340 & the Twinstrike on hand. I held off visiting them until they were restocked with some Excalibur crossbows. I get lifetime free cables/string (every two years for my compound bow, but actually change them every 3-4 years or so), & they had ordered the cables/string for me.

The Mission Sub-1 XR (rate 410 fps) was very easy to cock/decock. The 80% let off made rope cocking quite simple. Mission's decocking with a rope is also quite slick. It can be done quite safely/easily with both hands. Mission seems more focused on accuracy over speed. Cable/string can be changed without a press. Their warranty is second to none. Good pluses that Excalibur also has. He claimed Mission crossbows were quieter then the other brands he sold (Ten Point, Ravin, & Excalibur) If they had to use a crossbow, both the owner & his tech guy working on my compound bow would shoot a Mathews. For what it's worth, they spend the most time fixing a crossbow brand they don't sell (Barnett).

Despite their bias, I tried the Mission Sub-1 XR ($1,800) side by side the Excalibur Mag 340 ($700). I was not comparing apples to apples at all here. The Mag 340 require a bit more heft to cock, but the pull was shorter which helped some. Even the owner admitted the new Mag 340 was quieter than he expected when I shot. Both had good triggers. Obviously, the Mission is faster, but I didn't notice an extreme difference while shooting in a 20 yard inside range.

I left being impressed with both crossbows. For $699, the Mag 340 was a nice package. I don't live very far from where Mission crossbows are made. If I was spending $1,500-2,000 for a crossbow, they would be on my shopping list. If I am spending less than $1,000 on a crossbow, I feel the Mag 340 would make me quite happy, too.

I am not willing to hang up my compound for good, but I see a new crossbow in my future some day. Just sharing my first experience with crossbows. My interest in the Mag 340 led me here.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

PM sent
W.M.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I love my axe "Temagami Edition" I'll be using it again this year for Black Bear
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme