Micro Suppressor 400TD = Power in excess

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Micro Suppressor 400TD = Power in excess

Post by DuckHunt »

After tossing almost 350 shots I've finally settled on a broadhead for the upcoming season for my 400TD. I was looking for something that was bulletproof that could withstand the fierce launch. Although I found some fold-back style blades that would stay closed on launch and not break on entry, I wasn't too fond of the resulting small entrance holes. That leaves a few rear deploying heads. Ultimately I settled on the TruGlo Titaniam X 4-blade mentioned by Sew. Its 5/8 x 7/8 on launch, and rear deploys to 1"x1-3/4" on impact. Borrowing an idea from Bcxbow, I couldn't help but wonder how it would fly and what type of penetration I would get if I took the small blades off the front and replaced them with a 2nd larger rear set. He was shooting turkey, but I'm looking for whitetails. With a larger set of blades up front, the weight bumps up to ~105 grains.

Here is a photo with the standard blades up front, and a rear set put on front instead. Since the front was only designed for the smaller blades, the ferrule isn't cut to allow the larger blades to fully collapes. They ride at 1" closed instead of 7/8" closed like the rear set.
Here is a photo with the blades deployed in normal configuration, and with a set of large blades up front as well.

My first concern was with penetration. With a 1-3/4 x 1-3/4 four blade head, would I get enough penetration for a consistent pass through. I figured the best way to tell is to shoot it into a target, then measure and compare the penetration to that of a 1" fixed broadhead shot into the same target. Knowing that my Blob target is a little firm for the test, I opted to use my Block Black Crossbow Target. I already knew from previous experience that the Block was barely enough for the 400TD with field tips, but this is a big cutting mechanical. To get a good test, I turned the Block sideways where I would have 16" of depth to shoot into.

Well, the accuracy is certainly not an issue. And, well, penetration is not a problem if you don't mind excess. :shock: There's fletching in there somewhere.
The broadhead itself made a full pass through of the 16" deep target. You can see it sticking out on the left.
Needless to say, a follow up shot with a 1" fixed broadhead to compare the penetration against was not necessary. :lol:

This Micro 400TD is a beast. 64 days until deer season!
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Bcxbow

Re: Micro Suppressor 400TD = Power in excess

Post by Bcxbow »

My findings as well DH and I will be shooting the titanium x in the 1 3/4 x 1 3/4” configuration for deer this season and maybe have one arra in the quiver with small blades up front just in case a hog strolls by.
Good choice and good test :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Looks devastating! And if you know your geometry, 4 right angle triangles are very easy to separate from all directions, meaning that it would be nearly impossible for that wound not to stay open. Not something that can be applied to a 3 blade head.

That's 400TD is just awesome
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

@duckhunt nice report!

With the 400TD, how often did you have to adjust the Takedown adjuster screw? That's quite a number of shots you have through it already.

Were Innerloc Carnage in the list of broadheads you tested? All 3 of us Excal shooters in my family use them now, and they're amazing. No premature opening and field tip POI and consistency and rear deployment as well. But our fastest one is shooting about 320 fps. So if you had tested them I was curious how they handled your more explosive launch.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I haven't had to adjust my takedown adjustment screw at all. Everything goes together just as snug as it did on day one. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Those Innerloc Carnage look interesting. They were definitely thinking outside the box on the design. I would be interested to see if the wrap keeps the blades contained on the fierce launch from 325# limbs. From what I've found, with the right arrow it wouldn't matter because it would still fly well.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: