Excalibur TrailBlazers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: Excalibur TrailBlazers

Post by janesy »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:56 pm
ThanksJanesy l tried to get em for Turkey but no good .lm not surprised about the accuracy at all the xact is just dead on for me in all my bows.
I think I'm gonna shoot the magnus black hornet in the vixen 2 this year and also try the trailblazer in my others l like the wide cut for Turkey .
Honestly out of the 8 doe and buck killed with the smaller xact cut all were dead within 75 yards max . They are gonna be awesomely a little better.
Even with the vixen l got full penetration with the xact.
They probably have the sharpest tip of any expandable head l have including the spitfires.They have a wider cut than my rothaar snuffer that l used in my longbows and that's wide!
The A420 I was playing with was used to take 3 deer last fall all with the same arrow and same X-Act Broadhead. I've always like the X-act, I out one through 5/8 ply a dozen times back in 2015 before it bent. These look to be as durable if more, without the collar to give out
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Great review Chris, I think there will be a lot of freezers filled with this head. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
RobD

Post by RobD »

Thanks for the write-up. I still have a pack of X-Act that I haven't tried yet, and Magnus Black Hornet SerRazors in 125gr that are waiting on the Zombies right now (no bows had an opportunity on deer last season). I'll probably pass on the 2" TrailBlazers due to the lower horsepower of the Micro 360. I noticed how everybody advertises their bows as "tested up to (obnoxious fps) speeds", but they never say "best for bows of 350fps or faster", or "needs 24KE or more at impact". A guy buying an Axe340 isn't going to have much luck with the latest 5" 8-blade mechanical* at 40 yards.

* - This is a made-up head, please don't ask me where you can buy one.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
janesy

Post by janesy »

RobD wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:48 am
Thanks for the write-up. I still have a pack of X-Act that I haven't tried yet, and Magnus Black Hornet SerRazors in 125gr that are waiting on the Zombies right now (no bows had an opportunity on deer last season). I'll probably pass on the 2" TrailBlazers due to the lower horsepower of the Micro 360. I noticed how everybody advertises their bows as "tested up to (obnoxious fps) speeds", but they never say "best for bows of 350fps or faster", or "needs 24KE or more at impact". A guy buying an Axe340 isn't going to have much luck with the latest 5" 8-blade mechanical* at 40 yards.

* - This is a made-up head, please don't ask me where you can buy one.
Your 360 has tons of power to move 2" mechanical. My 370 was buried 8"-10" into the Reinhardt

Deer and Bear I have full confidence with my axe using the 2" head
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
RobD

Post by RobD »

I wasn't implying that my 360s were wimps. I guess the point I wanted to make is that the manufacturers are great at telling us how fast they have tested the meachanical heads, but they don't give us the range of bow (speed or KE) that they are good to pair with.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout

janesy

Post by janesy »

RobD wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:26 am
I wasn't implying that my 360s were wimps. I guess the point I wanted to make is that the manufacturers are great at telling us how fast they have tested the meachanical heads, but they don't give us the range of bow (speed or KE) that they are good to pair with.
Good point, would be nice to know the minimum requirements as well
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
curious

Post by curious »

I picked up a pack at the weekend to try them out they look well made. I'm liking the cliploc system as well.
I will get out to the range this week and try them out.
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40, HHA Tetra XB
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

curious wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:27 pm
I picked up a pack at the weekend to try them out they look well made. I'm liking the cliploc system as well.
I will get out to the range this week and try them out.
I think your be quite happy Frank. Probably going to glue one closed and use it as a practice head, but it's anything like the baby X-act, it won't need a practice head
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
curious

Post by curious »

I hope so Chris, I've spun them on my spinner and they are looking very good. If they can match my Wasps I will be happy. I will be shooting into my 18 1 :thumbup:
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40, HHA Tetra XB
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 strings
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I didn't realize they would be available in 100 grain. I wonder how they pared down the weight from the 150 grain version? Aluminum alloy?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hi5 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:34 pm
I didn't realize they would be available in 100 grain. I wonder how they pared down the weight from the 150 grain version? Aluminum alloy?
Aluminum for the 100Gr.
Stainless for the 150gr

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
RobD

Post by RobD »

Jabsey - so you are using the 150gr, since that is the one in your hand? Have you glued one and tried it yet? That is the one I am leaning towards for my 360TD. With my Zombies that would put it at 450gr or a little more with a Lumenok. I have not tried that heavy of an arrow yet in the Micros.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout

janesy

Post by janesy »

RobD wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:52 am
Jabsey - so you are using the 150gr, since that is the one in your hand? Have you glued one and tried it yet? That is the one I am leaning towards for my 360TD. With my Zombies that would put it at 450gr or a little more with a Lumenok. I have not tried that heavy of an arrow yet in the Micros.
No, I'm using the 100grn. I took that pic earlier this year.
My arrow setup from my AXE340 for black bear was 448 all in , 15.5" and it was very accurate and hit hard. 308 fps was far more than enough for a complete passthough and buried to the fletching in the ground. Heaviest arrow I've shot. For moose this fall I'm going to go up to 125 fixed on the same arrow

Haven't glued one, but I will soon, too much work
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
RobD

Post by RobD »

I am only shooting Michigan whitetails, not bears. I will put a 150gr field point on an arrow and hear how it hits at the 40 & 50 yard markers. I don't want it so heavy that blade deployment and pass-through capability becomes questionable.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout

Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

My question may be dumb, but please bear with me. What does gluing open the blades on a mechanical broadhead prove? Other guys have mentioned that before, but I hesitated to announce my ignorance by asking the question.

Arrow flight of a deployed broadhead should not be the same as an undeployed broadhead, wouldn't you think?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.