Why we buy Excalibur recurve crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cibby

Why we buy Excalibur recurve crossbows

Post by Cibby »

I have shot a Excalibur Grizzly for 5 years. I know its not the top of the line or the fastest bow. My hunting partner were both 66 finally gave up his compound this summer and bought a crossbow. He bought a Killer Instinct Ripper 415. Plenty fast, shot good, sighted in easy. He was putting bolts right in the kill zone at 50 yards the first week he had it. The second week he had it the limbs cracked both of them. Now its been gone for 3 weeks. He has no idea when it will be back who knows in Minn. if there at full staff at KI or how backed up they are. He"s back struggling with his compound. I wouldn't trust going into archery season in PA with one of these bows. I'll just go on with my Griz. Easy to change strings which I swap on and off like changing my boots. You can have your high speed cables and cams I'LL just go on with my Griz which has taken 3 nice bucks and 2 spring gobblers in 5 years.
Jack Pine

Re: Why we buy Excalibur recurve crossbows

Post by Jack Pine »

:thumbup:
I became a treehugger the day my climber slipped.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Yep!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Couldn't agree more.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
janesy

Post by janesy »

When in doubt... Go Simple!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
TCX

Post by TCX »

janesy wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:07 pm
When in doubt... Go Simple!
x2 I agree.
Matrix 310- XX75 18" 2215
Ibex SMF- XX75 20" 2216
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

Couple other high speed wheel and cam fun things you need to do...I looked at my friends manual after 2 years you are required to bring it to dealer or send it to Killer Instinct for inspection of string, cables and cams. After 3 years you are required by warranty to take it to dealer or send it in to have strings and cables replaced. In 5 years all I have done to Griz is tighten quiver mounts and changed strings that were not even worn. I just changed string color. They tried to sell me one when I was there I shot there new 2020 Boss 405 it was faster than mine but bolt was 50 grains lighter...no wonder limbs crack. I noticed after I shot it serving that wraps around cam was coming apart. I told him this bow won't last a season with that serving and handed it back. Forgot about this one..a guy I worked with for 25 years has a nice Bulldog Excal. Last summer he bought a Ravin close to $2000 . When he was shooting it at 60 yards I was impressed. Guess which bow he finished the season with? The Excal Bulldog. He hunted one day in the snow and cold with the Ravin and something got ice in it he said and when he shot it at the end of his hunt the cam wheel cracked. Had to send it back in. Only took 3 months and he had it back. Not impressed with all this speed light bolts and fancy new compound crossbows at all.
artifact

Post by artifact »

KISS rule!
Reason I bought an Excalibur crossbow, as well as many others.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

You have to understand why the Military has a acronym they call K.I.S.S.. Keep It Simple, Stupid!!! Kinda like, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!! :thumbup:

I'm over 60, shot a lot of different vertical bows back in my youth. All cam bows. always "tinkering" with the dang things to get them to shoot correctly. Several years ago I switched to a crossbow, by necessity, both shoulders were shot. I looked at all the pulley crossbows. I have a buddy who is a Mission/Matthews distributor. I shot them. I looked at Ten Point, Ravin, and heaven help me, Barnett even. I spent probably a year mulling over every option.

It came down to the basics. dependability. accuracy, ease of maintenance, and trustworthiness. I looked at warranties, service requirements, ease of self repair. No company came close to what Excalibur had to offer.
I've had mine for several years now. Only thing I've ever done was replace the string. Simply cause Boo made me "an offer I couldn't refuse" :lol: :lol:
He had the colors I wanted and the reputation to back up his work. Kinda like Excalibur!! :thumbup:

It's like the commercial says...Simply The Best.

JMHO

AJ
Last edited by AJ01 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
curious

Post by curious »

Simplicity with accuracy :thumbup:
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40, HHA Tetra XB
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 strings
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have owned two compound crossbows in my life . One was a Horton which I sold asap and went to Excalibur been using Excalibur ever since .The second one is a Parker Stingray fishing crossbow which I still have and use as Excalibur does not make a fishing crossbow .
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

When i entered into the crossbow world I was still trying to hold on to Vertical Compound bows. I had some injuries that only worsened as I got older, and tried to go too long the old way, but I researched the schnakle out of crossbows, and found this forum. I watched video hunts over & over on Excalibur's website, and thought about how much I like simple! These models, and at that time no matrix was used in the hunting Videos on their site! The big dog was the Equinox model, and there will kills shots with lighter poundage models as well, and I was impressed! I bought an SMF Ibex, the went to a Vortex, then into the Matrix models, and in, and out of Micro models. I have three, and owned many more, every one was worth their weight in venison! So I buy them for their reputation first off. If you have an issue, you're taken care of! These folks answer the phone, and emails. I have never been stalled by Excalibur for any issue, next would be fellowship. Here, you will get an answer on anything that comes up, and some comic relief! You're never left hanging for too long, and you always get more than one opinion. I trust these guys, and it starts at the bottom in business, these guys represent the bottom! :lol:
Durability. I threw a bow thirty feet or more in a thick tangle when I tripped, the Excalibur fared much better than I did.
Maintenance. Most stuff you can do at home without special tools,etc. If you have to do it, someone probably already did it, so here is a good resource.
This place is chock full of good people, and a couple "wackos" too. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The crossbow competition is very nasty almost like our politics.
Excalibur has to get a little nasty and use the phrase
"Maby this hunting season you will get your training wheels removed" and try it.
Go after the more traditional hunter your never gonna win over the gadgeteer crowd in my opinion but can get to the real hunter type.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I've been on the compound side of the xbox world with two Strker Solutions... Great bows, but a PITA when you had to change cables out. You have to pull the axle to change the cable..

My Excaliburs, in 20 seconds I can have a new string on or adjust my brace height.... Simplicity at it's best!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
DaleyIL

Post by DaleyIL »

I'm looking for a backup xbow...i see reasonable prices on Vortex, Equinox, Phoenix n vixen that are online
I just bought a Assassin 420 TD..but very serious in locating one of the older excaliburs for a backup.

I hunt whitetail from tree stands n 50 yds is probably the farthest i wound have a shot

Thmx