Way out there...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Way out there...

Post by DuckHunt »

Last week I made a trip down to Arkansas to visit family and I took my Micro 400TD because I knew we'd toss a few arrows as entertainment during a fish fry. My brother has a small pond on his property that I was interested in shooting across. I figured it to be about a 75 yard shot which is a bit farther than I've ever attempted. Before I embarrassed myself, I figured a little practice might be useful. A quick trip to the local park in search of 100 yards of open space was a bust. I quickly came to realize that 100 yards is a heck of a long way. :lol: I broke out my Micro 350 with a TACT-100 scope and went diagonal across my back yard and was able to find 72 yards of space. The 2nd shot I fired (2 yards makes a difference) hit the 2" circle I had stuck on the heart of a 3D target. That would have to do.

At my brothers house we tossed a couple dozen arrows with his Axe/Mag and it was everything I expected it to be. All the way out to 60 yards it proved to be quite accurate. Once I got my speed adjusted on the Micro 400TD, it was way more accurate at distance that I was expecting for novices shooters at those distances. After a few test shots at 80 yards, I was ready to stretch it back to 100 yards.

Here are the results of three shots at 100 yards.

The group may not seem too impressive to some, but those three shots were fired by three different shooters each firing their first shot ever at that distance. One of the shooters had not fired a crossbow before that day. It became evident to all, that with a little practice and the proper setup that the accuracy potential of these bows is exceptional.

The lake? Well, it may be 75 yards across. But from the shaded tables we were shooting from it was 110 yards to the far end. Since the TACT-100 only has aim points to 100 yards, some guesstimation of the holdover was required. I failed. I sailed the first arrow just over the target and it promptly hit the angled bank behind it and disappeared under the grass. :shock: Yep, it was still moving plenty fast enough to bury itself. Undeterred, my second shot hit the 4x4 square in the center.

After tossing a few arrows at those distances, typical bow hunting distances are a piece of cake.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
GrassyKnoll

Re: Way out there...

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Nice shooting...definatley fun to stretch it out.. :thumbup:
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I expect you'll be shooting in the Boofest 100 next summer. :thumbup:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

DuckHunt wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm
Last week I made a trip down to Arkansas to visit family and I took my Micro 400TD because I knew we'd toss a few arrows as entertainment during a fish fry. My brother has a small pond on his property that I was interested in shooting across. I figured it to be about a 75 yard shot which is a bit farther than I've ever attempted. Before I embarrassed myself, I figured a little practice might be useful. A quick trip to the local park in search of 100 yards of open space was a bust. I quickly came to realize that 100 yards is a heck of a long way. :lol: I broke out my Micro 350 with a TACT-100 scope and went diagonal across my back yard and was able to find 72 yards of space. The 2nd shot I fired (2 yards makes a difference) hit the 2" circle I had stuck on the heart of a 3D target. That would have to do.

At my brothers house we tossed a couple dozen arrows with his Axe/Mag and it was everything I expected it to be. All the way out to 60 yards it proved to be quite accurate. Once I got my speed adjusted on the Micro 400TD, it was way more accurate at distance that I was expecting for novices shooters at those distances. After a few test shots at 80 yards, I was ready to stretch it back to 100 yards.

Here are the results of three shots at 100 yards.

The group may not seem too impressive to some, but those three shots were fired by three different shooters each firing their first shot ever at that distance. One of the shooters had not fired a crossbow before that day. It became evident to all, that with a little practice and the proper setup that the accuracy potential of these bows is exceptional.

The lake? Well, it may be 75 yards across. But from the shaded tables we were shooting from it was 110 yards to the far end. Since the TACT-100 only has aim points to 100 yards, some guesstimation of the holdover was required. I failed. I sailed the first arrow just over the target and it promptly hit the angled bank behind it and disappeared under the grass. :shock: Yep, it was still moving plenty fast enough to bury itself. Undeterred, my second shot hit the 4x4 square in the center.

After tossing a few arrows at those distances, typical bow hunting distances are a piece of cake.
....freehand or off of a rest?....even off of a rest it is some mighty fine shooting!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

amythntr wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:15 pm
....freehand or off of a rest?....even off of a rest it is some mighty fine shooting!
Oh certainly off a rest. I'd be happy to hit the target at all at that distance shooting free handed.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Real nice 100 y groups. :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family