How often do you practice?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

How often do you practice?

Post by grouse »

Our archery season starts September 15. Tomorrow I'll go up to our farm to begin to get ready. I'll clear brush around stands, re-install seats where needed and trim the limbs that have grown in the way in the spring and summer. At some point I'll get my crossbow and target out and take some shots at 20, 30 and maybe 40 yards. Possibly, I'll take a few more shots the day before the season opens and that will probably be it until I take a shot at a deer or turkey.

I wonder if my approach is typical or unusual. It seems that many of the people who post on this site shoot a lot more than I do (I haven't shot a crossbow since last fall). The few times that I do shoot I pound the bullseye at the ranges I'm comfortable shooting when hunting. Practice is necessary to become proficient, but it becomes boring to me after a few shots when I'm hitting where I aim.

How often do you shoot?
axiom
350 SE
xcaliber

Re: How often do you practice?

Post by xcaliber »

I shoot as often as possible. I really don’t shoot the crossbows during the winter, but as soon as spring rolls around I’m out again, hunting guns as well. I shoot hand guns in the winter and do my tinkering then as well.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TCX

Post by TCX »

I don't miss many days of shooting even in the winter.
I just enjoy shooting a arrow whither it's a compound, recurve or crossbow. :thumbup:
Matrix 310- XX75 18" 2215
Ibex SMF- XX75 20" 2216
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

After I get it out and know its sighted in , I try to do things differently.

Shoot offhand at unknown ranges. This is for those trips where a big buck might just popup.!

Shoot different angles ,at different ranges.

Even ,if your right handed, shoot the opposite. Quite often that big buck,or doe, is standing where I least expect or would like to shoot.
If crossbow is sighted in, its good to know I can make a good kill shot using my left eye instead of my dominate right eye.

Though lately I'm shooting with both eyes open !
Great for dot scopes and handguns ! Takes practice !
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

With a couple new bows (one today), this year I've shot a lot more than normal. I normally shoot a dozen or so shots maybe every other month. This year I'm sneaking up on 500 arrows fired. The day ain't over, so I'll probably reach that plateau today.

elkaholic has some good tips. I have a hang-on stand in a tree in my back yard that provides the best practice ever. You get to practice the entire hunt sequence from the tethered climb up, cocking/recocking/uncocking in the tree, raising and lowering the bow, and a lot of free handed shooting. Everyone loves a rest, but sometimes you get a deer at an angle where you're on your own. Back behind you toward your dominant hand side is a real fun one to practice. Directly behind the tree is fun too. You quickly learn that size (bow and tree) does matter. :lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I can shoot 20 yards in my back yard without being seen! If I shoot at my other backyard spot and the neighbors complain I'm toast... lol

I try to hit the 20 yard spot once per week!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I'm one of the "lucky ones". I have a range out by my shop where I can shoot out to 60 yards. Years ago I marked the fence with yardages starting at 20 and then moving in 10 year increments, moved out to 60. I can pull out the bows and shoot anytime of day, or night. Hunting hogs or exotics is legal at night in Texas. And it's a blast!!! :thumbup:

I try to shoot some at least twice a month. I will confess, I shoot more as deer season grows closer. I will also shoot from a ladder stand in my backyard. I will also shoot off the second floor deck on my shop. Different angles, different distances. About 2 weeks before season, I stop shooting, completely!! If I ain't got it down by then, I'm not going to. :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

I mainly shoot to confirm that everything is functioning correctly and scope is dead on. My excalibur is a killing machine but I still love the sight of a homemade wooden bow and arrow with my own flint knapped arrowhead hitting the mark. Still dream of living in primitive times and what it took to survive.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Altho recently, due to time constraints with work I haven't shot much at all. But I usually shoot often. I have many areas to shoot available, including 15Y in my basement with the lighted Chrony setup. I can get 2yard and 30 yard in my backyard, but it's not allowed because of a by-law(so I never do that :wink: ) But after short order the inside shooting sessions really just turn I to trigger control, because at 15 yards... Shooting Excaliburs can get boring for lack of a better term :lol: . They literally hit the exact POA every single time. Which led to me mix matching parts and building my own concoctions just to see what they would do it we a chrony. And would t you know it, they still hit The same hole at 15y no matter what riser you slap on there
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I can shoot 30 yards at home . Once a week l take the bows and bag and shoot up to 60 yards down the road.
I usually take an old black n decker workmate portable bench and kneel and also shoot offhand.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I practice at home my range is any yardage I want. I practice every day . But not this year due to health issues been out 2 maybe 3 times . bear season is open Sept 8 not ready .
Art-Man

Post by Art-Man »

I practice every time I shoot a deer. other than that I shot only when I change something on my setup or once before the season to make sure scope is still on.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....practicing for me is finding 3 hours of time.....driving 40 minutes to the range I belong to 15 minutes to unload and set everything up, about an hour of shooting at various distances from 20- 50 yards and making any necessary adjustments, 15 minutes to load everything back in the truck and a 40 minute drive home....

.....nothing like living in The People's Republic of N.J.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

When I lived in Phoenix, shooting my compound
20 30 40 even 50 a shot or 2

30 was length of back yard to gate

40 was out past the carport thru the gate

50 was the middle of the street, length of drive , under carport and thru the gate!

Neighbors never said a thing.
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

I. stop shooting after archery deer season close in mid November. Start again in early April for May 1st spring gobbler season which ends May 31st. Start again in mid July for archery deer season. Shoot a couple times a week till mid September then about 4 times a week for October 3rd deer opener.
I shoot a lot in September with broadheads and from a treestand.