Coons = denied, Coon proof bear bait

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Coons = denied, Coon proof bear bait

Post by Species8472 »

A week ago i put out a prototype coon proof bear bait. I call it the "Pinata" as the bears will be batting it around like a pinata. Basically its a 55 gallon drum that can be lifted so the bottom is up to 5 feet off the ground. It will also prevent the bears from moving a shaker barrel on a lead to somewhere behind the anchor tree where they can hide.

Used the Zodiac to conduct the operation as the locale is 5k+ from the nearest ATV access.

The finished product:

Did the whole thing with a 6 foot step which was a tad shorter than ideal but i managed. Had to use the "this not a step" part a few too many times and also had to hoist myself off the ladder onto the beams to put up the support strap and drill/bolt the cross piece that the pulley hangs from:

You can just seen the ladder 3 or 4 feet below the beam to the left of my left foot. I brought a 6-pack with me for the day but after one beer quickly decided to switch to water as walking/working/drilling/bolting while up on the 4x4s was perhaps a little sketchy.

The view from about 50 yards down the shooting lane:

All bolts and threaded rod are 5/8 inch, support strap is rated for 1000 lbs working load and 3000 lbs break strength, shackle/clevis and eyebolt are all forged and rated for 2000+lbs, cable is 3/16 inch and winch is rated for 2000 lbs. Main beams and clamp are 4x4 cedar. Once the clamp was set i also added 6x 3/8 inch by 10 inch long lag bolts (3 through the 4x4 on each side of the trunk) to prevent any rotation of the clamp. The weak link in the whole works is the pulley - it is only rated for 700 lbs. May have to change that if the bears get too aggressive.

Went out to check the prototype bait yesterday. Only had one set of coon visits and all the pics looked like this:

I also put a new camera up as my existing cameras don't take video (7 year old bullet proof reconyx that i splurged on after getting sick of replacing 100 to 200 dollar cameras every 2 or 3 years. I have 2 of them and they both work the same as new and have taken upmteen 1000 pics in all seasons). So next update will hopefully include video.

Momma and the 3 cubs are back and should be pretty entertaining on video. Here is how the cubs looked in spring:

And now:

Momma is decent size as well. For reference the bottom of the barrel is 40 inches off the ground:

This is my target bear:

I also discovered that the bait is so dense and sticky that it does not gravity feed at all resulting in 80% stuck up in the barrel and the bears not being able to get at it. I greatly enlarged the access holes and hopefully the bears will be able to work it enough to solve the problem. Did not have my sawzall with me so improvised with a hole saw on the drill:

Also had one acrobat that i think was a pine marten but not sure. On the barrel:

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Coons = denied, Coon proof bear bait

Post by Doe Master »

I guess time will tell if it is truly coon proof .
They are crafty creatures who if food is involved will do almost anything . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

That is a dandy shooter!! :thumbup:
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Yes sit nice bear!

Great idea and good work!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

As long as one of them doesn't figure out that he can climb the tree. walk out on the frame, and then drop down onto the barrel....(don't remember seeing a barrel lid.)
Cuz if he figures it out, he'll tell everybody else.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Hi5 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:41 pm
As long as one of them doesn't figure out that he can climb the tree. walk out on the frame, and then drop down onto the barrel....(don't remember seeing a barrel lid.)
Cuz if he figures it out, he'll tell everybody else.
There is a barrel lid. He would have to hang upside from the top edge of the barrel to get to the holes.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Good stuff!

It seems you have things well thought out.

Might not want to leave your ladder behind, though. They are pretty darned resourceful.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Pretty slick setup! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Just to clarify . I think it is a slick set up .
I was only joking saying that raccoons are very determined . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Normous

Post by Normous »

I was expecting to see a dock sized pad to stimulate and whole family of bears right up great grampa papa boar. Nice jungle gym!

Cheers, I be watching this...arrow a big one to fit a bigger boat :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Whelen. Nuff said.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

janesy wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm
Whelen. Nuff said.
^^This