Lets talk back pack's.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Re: Lets talk back pack's.

Post by DuckHunt »

Boo wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 am
I am very gradually learning to do without some items.
Ain't that the truth. I start every season carrying too much in my backpack. I've ended some long seasons with a rifle carrying in nothing but my gun, shells and a knife. As the season goes on, my load gets lighter and lighter. I have to climb a steep hill to get up to my stands, so every pound counts when packing it in.

I use a Timber Hawk Big Basin Daypack and it can carry way more than I need to carry.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have a med. sized maul mart special that has 2 bigger pockets n 2 small ones.I tie extra clothing up on top. Pockets won't allow clothing inside. I only take what is needed on day hunts
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have a nice field n stream but its actually kinda heavy + dont need 8 pockets
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
roly

Post by roly »

I have four or five back packs, all different sizes.
Last year I went to a shoulder bag, the guys I hunt with call it the purse.

Even though it is quite large, it forces me to limit what I carry in.
I get teased about it, but it has become my favourite to use, my bow carries so much nicer( my back pack always felt like it was forcing the bow off my shoulder.)

Once in the stand I put the shoulder strap around my shooting rail and the bag hangs directly in front of me with easy access to what I need.
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

I have the Tenzing (i think thats the brand)
One shoulder pack. And it holds all my needed small items very happy with it actually .But no clothing..

I guess i could strap the outter layers to it.
But then i would have to do something with thoes if i needed in the pack. I guess i could put the major items in cargo pockets before i left camp. Then strap coat/bibs to pack when needed.

I may try this route this year and see how it works. Save that $$ for the new bow.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Well...I must confess. I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to taking things on a hunting trip. It matter not if it's across the State, cross country or down the road 5 miles from my house. :thumbup:
I have a duffel bag that gets loaded into my truck at the end of September. It carries everything but the spam sink in it!! I can literally live out of this bag for about a month. Clothes, sleeping bag, MRE's, ammo, extra knives, extra 1st aide equipment, paracord, a one man tent, you name it. Also in the storage under the back seat of my Tundra you will find an axe, full size, folding shovel, flares, 50 foot of rope, a come a long (ratchet hoist), at least 2 rolls of duct tape, and a file to sharpen the axe. :thumbup: :lol:

I then pack a small Remington day pack with things I MIGHT need during my sit. Rangefinder, water, snacks, toilet paper, wind detector, gloves for hunting and gloves for field dressing. Camo face mask/hood. Scent Killer Gold. And a good set of knives with a sharpening stone! Candles and waterproof matches.

Okay...I'm OCD....but handy to have around!!! :lol: :eusa-dance:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Wow AJ that's a general store.
I used to hunt from a designated hunting truck it was great. But l found my work truck much more suitable because of the endless tools and accessories in it.
Never know when your gonna need something. I got food extra clothes flashlights a generator,inverter,food.
Today l was fixing up stands and needed an alluminum brace.. .l had one cut in ten minutes with my saw including a bracket with screws and sprayed it green.
One cool thing l dont care if my work truck gets dirty or scratched.Plus work pays for my gas and maintenance.l have fixed many friends bows and crossbows and saved a hunting day for them by being prepared sometimes they just get soaked and need a jacket or a wingnut for their climber.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Dang AJ,
Thats impressive. It would not be a bad idea for most of us to have a survival or bug/out bag of some type.

I hunt close enough to the roads or camp that im ok. But it is better to be prepared than not.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 pm
Wow AJ that's a general store.
I used to hunt from a designated hunting truck it was great. But l found my work truck much more suitable because of the endless tools and accessories in it.
Never know when your gonna need something. I got food extra clothes flashlights a generator,inverter,food.
Today l was fixing up stands and needed an alluminum brace.. .l had one cut in ten minutes with my saw including a bracket with screws and sprayed it green.
One cool thing l dont care if my work truck gets dirty or scratched.Plus work pays for my gas and maintenance.l have fixed many friends bows and crossbows and saved a hunting day for them by being prepared sometimes they just get soaked and need a jacket or a wingnut for their climber.
F150, best backpack in the world! On private land where you can park within a few hundred yards of stand, I carry very little with me. So fanny pack is small.( and truck is close)😁
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hey Joe...
I learned a long time ago when I'd buy a new truck. I'd take it to the farm, run it thru the Mesquite trees :eusa-doh: bang it thru a few gates :wtf:, then let the cows and horses chew on the paint job :roll: , then spill coffee all over it so you and the truck smell the same :wink: except for the lingering smell of cow poop :think: then you're good to go!! Sorta "wear the new off" and then you don't have to worry about it!!! :thumbup: :lol:

Yeah...I keep so much junk in my truck my wife says I go to Lowe's once a week just to re-stock!! :D I've always lived by the adage, "Better to have and not need, than to need and NOT have"!!! :eusa-naughty:

My 3 son-in-laws will all agree, If I ain't got it, you probably don't really need it!! :mrgreen:

And Owl...I hunt 40 acres that's about 4 miles from my house. And I still carry all this stuff. I get to hunt, ( lucky me), 3 different places within 20 miles of me, family property. A total of about 300 acres. But I also hunt places 500 plus miles from me. And sometimes 40 miles to the closet town. I was also fortunate enough to go to "Combat Medic School" in my youth, so I'm pretty well equipped in case of an emergency.

My wife calls me a "crazy old goat" :lol: All I can say to that is "Bbbbaaaaa"!! :lol: :lol:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

:lol: AJ.

I am usealy only a few miles from a town.
But there are so many scenarios where a bag like that would save your life.

I may get a bag and put alot of that stuff on my Christmas list. I have been waiting to play with one of thoes Jet Boils anyway.

I was trying to get a couple buddys to do a minimalist hunt for a September weekend.

One man tent or hamic,bed roll. Mountain house MRE's and water and hunting gear. No takers tho.

I kid you not. There will be 5 of us this year and you will need a truck and trailer.
But boy we eat good. And have a nice comfy litte camp.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Owl Creek wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:53 pm
:lol: AJ.

I am usealy only a few miles from a town.
But there are so many scenarios where a bag like that would save your life.

I may get a bag and put alot of that stuff on my Christmas list. I have been waiting to play with one of thoes Jet Boils anyway.

I was trying to get a couple buddys to do a minimalist hunt for a September weekend.

One man tent or hamic,bed roll. Mountain house MRE's and water and hunting gear. No takers tho.

I kid you not. There will be 5 of us this year and you will need a truck and trailer.
But boy we eat good. And have a nice comfy litte camp.
Some of the Jetboil systems can be rather pricey!!! I have an OLD Coleman. Still works great. :thumbup:

I grew up in the "middle of nowhere", (my hometown does NOT, to this very day, have a single red light in it), so you learn pretty quick to make sure you have just about everything you need covered!! :wink: Also my past profession taught me "if ya ain't got it, you can't go back and get it the middle of a feces storm"!!!! :lol: :wink:
You know what they say, "a country boy can survive"!! :lol: Growing up in rural America was a blessing. I left here and went off to college, then to work in a LARGE Metro city. It was a "culture shock" to say the least. I retired after 27 years and the first thing I did was move back to where I came from!! :thumbup:

I remember one time when me and a buddy of mine got invited to go on a "hunting trip" with some guys we knew from a local bank, (big city folks), but we went anyway. They gave us directions to the ranch. We made the drive, they showed up in an RV equipped with A/C, satellite TV, room for 8 and a grill/smoker on a trailer behind it!
We slept on the ground, drank fire brewed coffee, ate MRE's and FRESH BACKSTRAP, and killed the only deer ( 2 bucks, 2 does), taken that week!! :lol:
Score one for the "Good Guys"!!! :thumbup:

AJ
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

I like your stories AJ.
Well we sleep it tents and cook on a gas 2 burner stove with flat iron griddles on Them Or the ol cast iron dutch oven.
But thats what we like.

I am more excited about this season than I have been for 15 or 20 years.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

janesy

Post by janesy »

I just down sized to one of those rear fanny backs with the shoulder straps. I too carry everything with me, and I'm trying to limit it to stuff I need immediately.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

I think I have it worked out.
All my essentials are in The pack I have.
Any extra clothes will be stap to my climber or my pack if the climber is already in the woods.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers