Where'd the AXE go? _ GOT ONE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Re: Where'd the AXE go?

Post by XB I GO »

Wyvern was great with me but cannot get the bow here on time. I just bought some bolts from them so I will continue to buy from them. I did find a shop with two 340's assembled and ready to go. They'll do the price I want. The guy said I can shoot it there and sight in at 20 yards if I want to. Its 200 miles from here so I talked someone into getting up early and making the trip with me. I hope my chauffer is up and ready, I plan to leave in a half hour. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks
Hatchet

Re: Where'd the AXE go?

Post by Hatchet »

Glad to see you figured out a way to make it happen XB. Good luck on your bear hunt. Everyone is looking forward to hearing the story.
Take care
Hatchet
XB I GO

Re: Where'd the AXE go? _ GOT ONE

Post by XB I GO »

Today was a good day! I got a Mag 340. The guy that took my call had it all assembled and ready to go when I got there ( a 3 hour drive). They did not have a single accessory though. No extra Quills, no extra string - the main two things I wanted. The lady there was either the manager or the owner. She talked to me and tried to find accessories but no luck. We got to talking and she couldn't get over the fact that I was going to be up in a tree on a bear hunt. She ended up "making" me buy a Hunter Safety System harness and a safety rope. She was obsessed over the whole tree thing. Anyway, she then went to work finding discounts. She even gave me a military discount for my Dad - so I walked out of the store handing her exactly $500 cash. :thumbup:
Since I only have the 3 Quill bolts I decided to try the BEZS I have a dozen of. They weigh 460 grains (that's 18" with a 110 gr insert and 150 gr tip). I set up the chronograph and it took me just 5 shots to dial the scope to bullseye at 20 yards. I shot a bag with 5 spots so I didn't break any bolt or ruin vanes. Then I shot a total of 20 BEZS. This bow is quiet and light compared to my M380. The velocity with the 460 gr is 303 FPS and repeated within 1 FPS for 6 shots. Then just to see how it would work, I put the 150 grain tip on the Quills. I shot the 3 at different spots. They all hit about 1 inch higher than the BEZS. I repeated it to make sure. The average velocity for 6 Quills that weigh 402 grains (stock with 150 gr tip) was 326 FPS. They were a little louder than the BEZS. Now that its sighted in and the BEZS and Quills are just about the same I put on the practice broadheads. Its a Sonic Bolt but with no sharpened edges. The BEZS hit the same exact spot. Funny thing though, the Quills actually hit an inch lower than the BEZS with the BH's on them. That'll work either way. :clap:
Now, I can't decide if I should use the BEZS or the Quills on the bear hunt this week. The BEZS have Luminock's so I might lean toward them and the extra 58 grains of weight. They're 23 FPS slower than the Quills but I am not going to tell the bears that.
I am going to switch the quiver plate around. The guy put it on so the bolts vanes face forward in front of the bow. I want it the other way along the bow and not sticking out. There's gotta be a hex head bit box around here somewhere!
Thanks for the tips and stuff! This worked out great and I'm set to get a bear. Now I have to make up missing church so I better get to the 7PM that starts in 15 minutes. See you guys later!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

:thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

XB I GO wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:45 pm
Today was a good day! I got a Mag 340. The guy that took my call had it all assembled and ready to go when I got there ( a 3 hour drive). They did not have a single accessory though. No extra Quills, no extra string - the main two things I wanted. The lady there was either the manager or the owner. She talked to me and tried to find accessories but no luck. We got to talking and she couldn't get over the fact that I was going to be up in a tree on a bear hunt. She ended up "making" me buy a Hunter Safety System harness and a safety rope. She was obsessed over the whole tree thing. Anyway, she then went to work finding discounts. She even gave me a military discount for my Dad - so I walked out of the store handing her exactly $500 cash. :thumbup:
Since I only have the 3 Quill bolts I decided to try the BEZS I have a dozen of. They weigh 460 grains (that's 18" with a 110 gr insert and 150 gr tip). I set up the chronograph and it took me just 5 shots to dial the scope to bullseye at 20 yards. I shot a bag with 5 spots so I didn't break any bolt or ruin vanes. Then I shot a total of 20 BEZS. This bow is quiet and light compared to my M380. The velocity with the 460 gr is 303 FPS and repeated within 1 FPS for 6 shots. Then just to see how it would work, I put the 150 grain tip on the Quills. I shot the 3 at different spots. They all hit about 1 inch higher than the BEZS. I repeated it to make sure. The average velocity for 6 Quills that weigh 402 grains (stock with 150 gr tip) was 326 FPS. They were a little louder than the BEZS. Now that its sighted in and the BEZS and Quills are just about the same I put on the practice broadheads. Its a Sonic Bolt but with no sharpened edges. The BEZS hit the same exact spot. Funny thing though, the Quills actually hit an inch lower than the BEZS with the BH's on them. That'll work either way. :clap:
Now, I can't decide if I should use the BEZS or the Quills on the bear hunt this week. The BEZS have Luminock's so I might lean toward them and the extra 58 grains of weight. They're 23 FPS slower than the Quills but I am not going to tell the bears that.
I am going to switch the quiver plate around. The guy put it on so the bolts vanes face forward in front of the bow. I want it the other way along the bow and not sticking out. There's gotta be a hex head bit box around here somewhere!
Thanks for the tips and stuff! This worked out great and I'm set to get a bear. Now I have to make up missing church so I better get to the 7PM that starts in 15 minutes. See you guys later!
She may very well have saved your life XB. She was a smart lady and sound like she genuinely cares for her customers, considering she basically gave you the harness for free. A young buck like yourself might bounce before you break, but you will break.

DO NOT CLIMB A TREE WITHOUT A HARNESS.

Good luck, looking forward to pics and stories.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Agree on the safety harness.
:clap:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings