crossbow scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

crossbow scopes

Post by grouse »

What is going on with crossbow scopes? Every year my wife asks me for ideas for Christmas presents so I'm thinking about a new scope for my crossbow. The scope that came on my SE 350 works fine, but my deer rifles both have Leupolds and I know that there are clearer and nicer scopes out there. When I started my online research I investigated Leupold, Nikon and Redfield, brands I know and trust. It seems they all quit making crossbow scopes. Every seller says out of stock or discontinued. Does anyone know what's going on. Seems weird.
axiom
350 SE
Carnivorous

Re: crossbow scopes

Post by Carnivorous »

Leupold crossbones= discontinued
Nikon bolt = nikon stopped scope production
Redfield revenge= discontinued

Vortex jumped back in with the new crossfire 2 crossbow scope. Its not perfect but I like it!!

Then there is hawke. I personaly can't use any of the hawke scopes. The glass is blury to me but some like them.

Good luck!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

I use Leupold 1.5-5x20 scopes with heavy duplex on my crossbows. I have also used Leupold 1-4x20 shotgun scopes with heavy duplex.

I had Leupold crossbones scopes on all my crossbows, but switched back because I like the heavy duplex a lot better. I try to keep my shots at thirty yards and less. I sight in at 25 yards. Just a little high at 20 and a little low at 30.
Last edited by rmb721 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

What rmb721 says! Leupold heavy duplex rocks!
Al in Mi

Post by Al in Mi »

rmb721 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:42 pm
I use Leupold 1.5-5x20 scopes with heavy duplex on my crossbows. I have also used Leupold 1-4x20 shotgun scopes with heavy duplex.

I had Leupold crossbones scopes on all my crossbows, but switched back because I like the heavy duplex a lot better. I try to keep my shots ay thirty yards and less. I sight in at 25 yards. Just a little high at 20 and a little low at 30.

Question on those scopes

Does your impact change or stay the same going from 1x to 4x?
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The crossbones is my favorite hands down.
Why they no-make nomore is a total mystery
Bolt is good too.but no speed adjustment
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nikon Bolt is by far my favorite. Glass is great for that class of scopes, size fits the smaller bows so nice, and you get good at lining up the hash marks if you practice a bit, that's a plus! I just put one on my Matrix 380, and it's ready to hunt. Anything from Leupold is excellent too. Bushnell XLT is nice, and they too quit making it, nobody knows why for them either. You would think if you had a decent design that sold, you would make enough to sell, the design is paid for, and manufacturing tooling procured?? :eusa-deadhorse: I was in mismanagement for too many years! :lol: :lol: :eusa-violin:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... I actually have come full circle.... when I decided to put better glass on the cb’s I turned to the Luppy XBones ... both my boys have them on their M380... I have one on my NM335 that my BIL is using...I have one sitting around which I might just unload....

..... I then moved on to the Hawke XB 30 which I love also....

..... I recently bought a Vortex CF2 which has yet to see action....

.....I have the DeadZone on both AXES and love the scope .... so much that I bought a spare

...... I am now of the belief that for the type of hunting I do.... the stock scopes serve their purpose and there is no reason to drop extra coin on a better scope!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

Burris... would be all my hopes and dreams. :eusa-violin:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

Al in Mi wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:23 pm
rmb721 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:42 pm

I had Leupold crossbones scopes on all my crossbows, but switched back because I like the heavy duplex a lot better. I try to keep my shots ay thirty yards and less. I sight in at 25 yards. Just a little high at 20 and a little low at 30.

Question on those scopes

Does your impact change or stay the same going from 1x to 4x?
The point of impact stays the same at the crosshairs. At the points of the heavy duplex it would be different because the distance between the crosshair and duplex point changes when power is changed.
grouse

Post by grouse »

amythntr wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:11 pm
.... I actually have come full circle.... when I decided to put better glass on the cb’s I turned to the Luppy XBones ... both my boys have them on their M380... I have one on my NM335 that my BIL is using...I have one sitting around which I might just unload....

..... I then moved on to the Hawke XB 30 which I love also....

..... I recently bought a Vortex CF2 which has yet to see action....

.....I have the DeadZone on both AXES and love the scope .... so much that I bought a spare

...... I am now of the belief that for the type of hunting I do.... the stock scopes serve their purpose and there is no reason to drop extra coin on a better scope!
I essentially, agree with your line of reasoning. I currently have a DeadZone on my 350 and it works well and will never cost me a deer. My plan was to put the DeadZone on my Axiom and the new scope on the 350. The stock scope on the Axiom also worked fine but it is large and a bit clunky so the DeadZone would be an upgrade and I would have a nice new scope on the 350. I have to give my wife some gift idea or I will end up with a cashmere sweater that I will never wear.
axiom
350 SE
grouse

Post by grouse »

janesy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:27 pm
Burris... would be all my hopes and dreams. :eusa-violin:
Burris doesn't make a crossbow scope that I can find. I don't want a 4X scope for 20 yard shots.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

You're right, that's why it would be all my hopes and dreams if they did.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....unfortunately there are limited choices today in the more “expensive (better?) scopes” I don’t think you would be unhappy with the Hawke line of scopes I know I like the Hawke XB-30 and have it on the A420TD....I prefer this one over the Leupold XBones....I did buy the new Vortex CB scope thinking it made sense for shooting the A420TD but A. It’s is on the for sale block and B. The yardage numbers and crosshairs are too tiny fir my liking.... but how could one go wrong; an illuminated scope, with rings, scope flip caps, by a reputable company for under $200...

..... of course there is always the cashmere sweater... or maybe you can ask for cashmere socks and undies instead of the sweater!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I have been around the world with crossbow scopes. Lol

My #1 crossbow scope is still the crossbones. Always looking for one in good condition as a backup... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.