Tree stand bruises

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Tree stand bruises

Post by longbow joe »

Dont know about you guys but it just seems like everytime l go put up a new treestand l end up with a cut bruises and all the time sore.
Yesterday me and bro trecked two ladderstands deep into the swamp machete in some of the way ...involves cutting shooting lanes. ..fingers bleed from saw..giant stickers in neck and arms ..hebe jeeby spiders.
Had to drill a hole with an improvised dull 1/4 bit..another cut. Got my finger crushed trying to "dance " the ladder in place. Not to mention my sore back from falling multiple times over logs.
Glad to be at work today l can handle glass cuts lol.
Forgot to mention the stickers impeded in my scalp.
Boy l hope these things produce a buck because l sure as heck ain't dragging a doe outta there.
The silver lining is that l saw a giant rub in the area that l shot swamp buck two years ago.
I hope my bro gets em when I'm far away at work ....l will come and congrats him when l get home and hear all about the drag lolol.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Re: Tree stand bruises

Post by flinthead »

I feel ya bro... I had my 12 year old daughter helping me put up a two man ladder a couple of weeks ago. She stood on the bottom rung while I fought getting it up... lol!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

It's amazing how something so awkward, flimsy, wobbly and genuinely death defying can become so sturdy and supportive.
After you've dragged yourself to the end of your last drop of energy to get it in place. Then it's crooked, so you do it again.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Or you gotta move it because you under estimate the deer are outta range
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Yup
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I used climbing stands for years, and they present their own physical reminders of just how old you are! :lol: :lol:
This year we put up three stands that we purchased at the end of the season last year, got them from Walmart for $99. each, the Real Tree two man ladder stands with the claw system I think it is called. You can secure them from the ground then strap the top for stability. Best stand I ever put up!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

I scored two gorilla ladder stands of the local classifieds last year. Unbelievably sturdy, but easy twice as heavy as the BPS special you get on sale.
These are lifetime units
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:43 pm
It's amazing how something so awkward, flimsy, wobbly and genuinely death defying can become so sturdy and supportive.
After you've dragged yourself to the end of your last drop of energy to get it in place. Then it's crooked, so you do it again.
This is the exact reason you have sons and son-in-laws that are strong and like to hunt!!!
You simply show THEM where to hang the stands, then you go hunt!!!! :eusa-popcorn: :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

When l was 20 l used to elevate my 150 pound body like a squirrel 20 ft ... in a tiny 16x20 baker mighty might treestand
Just hugging the tree no aid.
Now I have a old trailhawk climber much bigger.. and l weigh 159 pounds and still hug the tree....but it's not squirrel like anymore it's kinda laborious ...l guess it makes me feel good to still do it. Funny l dont remember getting sore arms back then.
After having permanent stands it seems much less fun.
I hate carrying them in.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:33 am
This year we put up three stands that we purchased at the end of the season last year, got them from Walmart for $99. each, the Real Tree two man ladder stands with the claw system I think it is called. You can secure them from the ground then strap the top for stability. Best stand I ever put up!
I picked up one with a similar deal and I have to agree, they are very sturdy and much less death defying to put up. My daughter did have one complaint as it replaced her favorite stand. The claw system causes the stand to set 4-5 inches farther away from the tree than typical, so it makes it difficult to use the tree as a backrest. But otherwise, I'm a fan.

I'm normally a sweaty grass clipping covered mess after the day I complete the trail clearing and stand hanging/prepping session.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

We set up a second tripod stand in the thick pines. Why ??
I was like you can't see anything in any direction, but not my land so up it goes.
Nobody even hunted out of it last yr.

So we ending up moving to a spot 60 yrds uphill along the oak ridge on edge of pines.
Took st a nd off legs and manhandled the thing , twice . Got it set up , cut shooting lanes. Put up a licking stick. Setup camera.

Smoked a big body 7 pointer , last week. That was hitting the licking branch. Sure glad he didn't drop one on over in those thick pines.

Now its his go too stand.

Too bad we didn't just put it up there the first time
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I took down and moved two lock on's this year and it seems the older I get the longer and harder it is to get it done. I hope with all that work ya'll can bag a big buck there and then all that hard work will be worth it. The best of luck to you.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Maybe I'm lucky there aren't any trees big enough or tall enough for a ladder stand! Sounds like work!