Disaster moose hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dodgethis

Disaster moose hunt

Post by Dodgethis »

I just got back from my moose hunt. Opening day was last Saturday. I arrived Friday afternoon. I bring out my micro 335 to validate all is still good before the hunt. I shot a few bolts and on the 5th shot, while cocked, I heard a big cracked. One of the limbs developed a big crack. I said to myself, this is no problem. I get my spare limbs and I do the swap. Test a few shots, and all is good. The next morning is opening day for moose in Quebec. I am in my stand and before 2 hours of hunting, a bull is below my stand. As I grab my Micro 335 to shoot, I heard a big crack! The right limb delaminated about 6 inches long roughly ¼ of the thickness near the riser connection. Disaster! The moose took off and within 2 minutes, the limb snap in half. Brand new limb! I hurry back to my trailer to get the other limb, the used one that looked OK and do the swap. Hurry back to my stand and try to call the bull back in. Luckily he comes back. But before he gets in range, the used limb snap in half!!! What is going on? I try to find a local shop that has micro limbs in stock, but no luck. I had to pack and go home. I used to love my Micro, but now I am not certain what to think about this. I take really good care of my equipment, I have spare limbs and strings. I stress test all my limbs at home before going on a hunt, by cocking them 4 to 6 hours. I had my Micro since 2015 and had 3 sets of limbs failure. Am I doing something wrong? Each set of limbs excluding the spare ones had only 100 to 200 shoots. Here is the picture of the broken limbs.

I have opened an RMA request with Excalibur. I have read that they might want to modify the riser to reduce the angle. But if they do this, my 335 will become a 315. Can any of you guys confirmed this? I am not interested at all in losing speed.

Thank you,
Excalibur Micro 335
Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 16" Ramcat
Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 18" Magnus bullhead
Carnivorous

Re: Disaster moose hunt

Post by Carnivorous »

I don't know what to say. Sorry to hear about your troubles...

:(
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Crazy, this riser was modded well from the factory, it even had the spacers added.
I bet it was pretty exciting having a moose under you tho!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:01 pm
I don't know what to say. Sorry to hear about your troubles...

:(
Me too, I am astonished! Before the limbs were improved I saw that same thing happen to Anthony at a Boofest. But since the limbs were improved I haven’t seen broken limbs nearly so often. I had a few Micros and had a problem with one bow and that was completely my fault. Hope the rest of your hunting season goes well!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Geeze....sorry
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

That really is a bum deal you got with all of those limbs. I gather from what you are saying that the limbs you had on hand, including the spares, were all from the era that had the bad limbs though. So when you receive your new replacement sets from Excalibur they should be of current build quality and shouldn't break on you. Hopefully they rush ship you the limbs so your whole moose season is not waisted and you can get back out there.
Last edited by Stab 'em on Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, from what I've read on The Excalibur Facebook page, a solution to the limb failures seems to have been found. Apparently, the limbs that are being produce now, along with some new hardware should resolve the problem.

Follow link for more info:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/19409440808/permalink/10159259319910809/
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

that is the worse luck !
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Your asking this "small" area to do such a violent bend and massive stress it's a wonder how they accomplished it to begin with.
I have a micro the original and its been trouble free but I simply prefer the other wider ones for this reason...a few more inces of limb never hurt no one but the peace of mind is golden.
My little sapphire with the stock extender is only 18 fps slower than my micro 335 and a tad wider with the matrix limbs but actually feels more compact for some reason l honestly like it better than the micro to be honest.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Sorry to hear this happening to you, hopefully your moose hunting season isn’t over for you knowing that you have to drive some distance and maybe time off.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Sorry to hear about your problems! That would really be a pisser to say the least!!! I too shoot a Micro, had a limb develop a small splinter a year or so ago. Excalibur jump right on it. I'm sure Dawn and the folks at Excal will make it right.
Good luck and I hope your next hunt ends way better!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That stinx! Sorry to hear of your horrible luck, and hope to hear better news from you soon.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Wow if all of that happened to me in that short period of time I think I would be wondering if it was safe to climb down the tree. I’m sure Excalibur will get you fixed up to your satisfaction and hope you have better luck going forward.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
grouse

Post by grouse »

Excalibur will replace your broken limbs but they can't replace the opportunity you lost. I feel for you, it must be very disturbing. You live in Quebec and will have the chance to hunt moose again. Most of us will never get to to go after such a magnificent animal and we're a little jealous of you for that. We'll all be happy to read about your successful hunt next time, and we will be glad to see that your bad luck is behind you.
axiom
350 SE
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Wow! That really sucks! I would certainly be pissed with such equipment failures no matter which “brand” of manufacture. You did well to showcase your situation for all to see. I know these incidents happen at a low percentage of the number of bows out there but this was the perfect storm of failures for you.
I sincerely hope your next outing, if any, is more fruitful!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360