Disaster moose hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dodgethis

Re: Disaster moose hunt

Post by Dodgethis »

Hi guys, thanks for the kind word. Sadly, the moose season is over for me this year. It will need to go next year. What also sucked is I was 4 on 4 in the last 4 year moose hunting and the Micro issue cost me my streak. But there are worse issue than that.

As for the limb issue, I have received my RMA number and I have sent the broken limbs picture. But so far, I have not received an update since from Excalibur. Not sure if they need me to send the riser or not.

According to some comment, the newly manufacture limbs are much better and should hold up better. It this only true if the riser is modified like a GEN 2?

Thanks,
Excalibur Micro 335
Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 16" Ramcat
Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 18" Magnus bullhead
janesy

Post by janesy »

Dodgethis wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am
According to some comment, the newly manufacture limbs are much better and should hold up better. It this only true if the riser is modified like a GEN 2?

Thanks,
Lots of people are running the original limbs in many configurations and 99% will never see an issue. Altho it seems in later September, every year, this is not the case.

But Yes, it can only be logical to suggest that the new limbs will be better suited in a modified, or better a later machined riser(gen 2 or 3 as we call it, Excalibur does not refer to them that way).
Excalibur has made many changes over the past 5 years to the risers as well as the limbs, to evolve and solve problems as they appear. So using the newest available offerings will most certainly solve your problem.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Sorry to hear this unreal case of bad luck! WOW! Hope you get a big one next season.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I know this doents help now but when I have a hunt more than 2hrs from home I bring 2.

2 bows or 2 guns. Murphy has a sore spot for me so id rather be prepared than to be sol!!

:)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

X2 l was gonna say back up bow too but didnt want to rub salt.
Same thing here l always got an extra bow n gun in the truck
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Dodgethis wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:47 pm
I have read that they might want to modify the riser to reduce the angle. But if they do this, my 335 will become a 315. Can any of you guys confirmed this? I am not interested at all in losing speed.
Wow, that's some awful luck.

I eventually had a failure a couple years back on my Gen 1 Micro 335 that worked fine for a few seasons. They had me send in the whole front riser assembly and shipped me a new one. It did appear that my power stroke got shorter with the new riser, so you would expect that it would have a drop in speed. That wasn't what I experienced. Even with the shorter stroke, which was still stout to pull back, I'm still getting the advertised speed. I'm not sure how they did it (stronger limbs?), but they did. It has killed a few deer since then with no issues.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Tateder

Post by Tateder »

Hello. Below is my experience with cracked limbs that I posted a few years ago. Haven’t had problems since but getting 315 FPS “replacements” that I had to pay for shipping for twice isn’t exactly satisfying. Although, no one from Excalibur ever told me they were slower limbs and I’ve never tested the speed. Just guessing from target shooting and what I’ve read online.

I am on my 3rd set of limbs for my micro 335. Last winter, I noticed small cracks in one of the limbs. It seemed to perform fine and I hunted with it the rest of the season. It was still under warranty and the cracks bothered me so I contacted support. Dawn helped me via email. I had to send my limbs in and when they got them, they sent a new set out. When I got the new set, the camo didn’t match my bow at all. When I went to put a string on it to sight in this summer, we had nothing but problems getting the limbs compressed enough. We eventually got it and sighted in. While in my blind opening weekend, the limbs started making horrible, loud creaking noises while on my lap. I eventually set it down and took cover while it loudly snapped over about 3-4 minutes. I emailed Dawn right away. She replied early morning Monday. This time, I was able to get new ones sent right away before I sent the broken one in. I got them 2 days later. This set looks MUCH better than the last replacement. Camo matches better and it came with a string on, bumpers, and a stirrup all on the riser. Happy to have this set and feel like I won’t have any more problems. Not happy to have to pay for shipping twice and having to site in again but at least it looks good again and they threw in the string this time.

I wonder if these cracked limbs is more of a problem with the micro than the other models. My bow is babied and not shot very much. Never dropped, left outside, or anything rough. Hopefully I was just unlucky.
Dodgethis

Post by Dodgethis »

While in my blind opening weekend, the limbs started making horrible, loud creaking noises while on my lap. I eventually set it down and took cover while it loudly snapped over about 3-4 minutes.
This is exactly my experience. An initial crack / delamination and it kept cracking and snapping more over 2-3 min before snapping in half. The other thing I noticed is on the limbs that were on the crossbow for a while, there is a crack on the underside on the edge of the riser. The crack goes the entire length of the limb. It is about 1/8 deep. This is one of the limbs that add a big crack / delamination that I uncock before it fail in half. Not sure if you guys can see this from the picture.

Thanks,
Excalibur Micro 335
Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 16" Ramcat
Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 18" Magnus bullhead
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

gen 1 riser is a nice riser i would not send it in. limbs well i have a set that shoot 320fps
set that is on bow shoots 334fps..my back up gen 1 shoots 334fps..funny thing i sent in a set of limbs
that camo was chipping off but they shot 344fps..maybe the $200 limbs are a better grade?...black
micro 335 gen 1 shot 343fps at least mine did..350 grain is ok for cronograph work for hunting i use 400grains
big deference on the bow..i feel for ya i went through it with mega 405 to the point were i switched to mission 400
that lost speed didnt not stay tuned for one season..ended up back here..i did hunt up in vermont this weekend
with one micro 335 no spear limbs and no problems (400 grain with a Flemish string ).
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Very sorry to hear this story. It must have been very disheartening to have this happen on your moose hunt. I had a limb fracture on my Bulldog 440 while in my tree stand last week and I hiked back to my truck very depressed. It's difficult to hunt when you loose confidence in your equipment.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical