The devil deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ODH

The devil deer

Post by ODH »

So it was a perfect evening to go to one of my favorite spots last evening. I hadn't hunted it yet as I was waiting for the right conditions. I threw the lone wolf on my back and grabbed the 308 short and got set up at 4 pm. The acorns were falling around me & I knew I was in for a good sit. At 4:29 I saw a large body moving on the hill below me. When I finally got to see the head it was a beautiful young 10 pt. I killed my buck on wednesday so I just sat there and watched. He came up the hill and fed away from me into the wind like most smart bucks do. A half hour later he was coming back on a trail that would put him at 10 yds. At 13 yds he looked up and stopped trying to figure me out. After what seemed like an eternity he came forward & picked up an acorn. Then he got to a spot where there was no cover between us and that was enough. He lazily loped down the hill.
At 6:44 I had a tickle in my throat and picked up my water bottle & took a swig. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a doe trotting down the same trail right to me. The deer stopped at 13 yds again & looked back. I lowered the bottle got my hand back on the bow & slid off the safety. I saw 2 tiny spikes about 1.5 inches long. Anything less than 3 in. here is considered antlerless. As I raised the bow he went on the move quickly. Finally after the 4th mouth bleat and very loudly he stopped at the far edge of my shooting lane at 22 yds. I quickly settled the crosshairs and tripped the trigger. I love the sound of a solid impact. The deer bolted forward and was down at 40 yds. Unfortunately he went down a very steep slope & into a multiflora rose tangle. I was shredded & exhausted by the time I got him out.
So this is my 44th year of bowhunting & it is the first time I had ever seen a buck with antlers less than 3 inches. A very unique deer and happy to have him. He will feed me well.
grouse

Re: The devil deer

Post by grouse »

Congratulations on your success! It sounds like you have about the same rules that we have here in Missouri. Where are you located! My season has gone a lot like yours. I shot a buck on opening morning, had a bigger buck broadside in front of me yesterday but I can't take another buck yet, then I shot a doe a little later in the morning.

Life is good isn't it.
axiom
350 SE
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Here is the pic. Congrats!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
ODH

Post by ODH »

Grouse, I am in Ohio. A deer here is considered antlerless if it does not have one antler at least 3 inches long. An antlered deer has to have at least 1 antler longer than 3 inches. There is no buck or doe designation. Thanks for posting the pic Riflemanz.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Unique Buck for sure!! But I bet he's gonna be mighty tasty!! And a great conversation piece!! :thumbup:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer nice tick toter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats, that will fill the freezer! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Congrats good eats and you still got a buck tag!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Look like fangs coming out of his head!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200