A Little Success Goes A Long Way

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUCKSHOT

A Little Success Goes A Long Way

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I finally had the Hunting Gods smile on me!
This isn't a story about the great illusive Buck but just a little adventure that will keep me interested!
I snuck out of work early yesterday to enjoy an afternoon sit in the treestand. The weather was overcast and some what damp but not really raining, so why not, it just felt like a good day to go.
I parked my truck and started getting my rigging out, the first thing I always do is cock my bow and load it just in case. I set my bow down and went to walk around the truck and something caught my eye, in the bush. I knew what it was immediately because it was so white! A little cottontail ran to within 10 yards of the front of my truck and just stopped and sat there. Humm, I could probably take him. I always have two judo points in my quiver and four slick tricks on me, I already had the broadhead loaded so I thought why not try him. Up with the bow and down with the rabbit, a nice clean shot at about 13yds. Hey thats a good start I thought, I put the rabbit in the truck and carried on.
About fifty yards down the trail something catches my eye again. This time a (we call them partridge) Hungarian Grouse presented itself. Well should I try again? Why not. I put my pack down and exchanged my slick for a judo. I brought the bow up and pulled the trigger, ohh release the safety dummy! I lined it up again and let loose! Wow, I hit it, it was flopping around all over and I thought I had it for sure,all of a sudden it just kind of rolled over and stood up, and started to walk away as if nothing happened. I began to cock the bow again and took my eye off the bird for a split second and lost sight of it. I retrieved my arrow and looked for the bird with no luck, there were all kinds of tail feathers stuck in the judo and laying on the ground. The way it was walkking I knew it was ok, but it arse must have been stinging!
Oh well, on my way again!
Another 30yds or so down the trail, all of a sudden another bird takes off, I looked at the spot and saw one still there. Just as I was thinking about trying it, it flew away, didn't want a stinging arse I guess!
Holy, lots of game around today!
I finally got set up further down the trail in my stand and had the pleasure of enjoying some piece and quiet for a couple of hours, but unfortunately did not see any deer! Oh well, beauty afternoon none the less.
After I had packed up and got back to the truck in the dark, I thought I would swing by a friends property whom I have permission to hunt, although it is thicker than the hubs of hell, it is a good spot for rabbits. Our friend has a cottage on one side of the road and land on the opposing side, we check on it all the time for him! Just as I was pulling up to his driveway I saw something move on the trail across the road. Holy cow, I couldn't believe my eyes, a nice six point casually stood up and looked at me approaching, he just stood there! I couldn't have been 20yds away. Of coarse after dark, a beautifull broadside view at 20 yds! Darn! I slowly opened the truck door and stepped out of the truck, shaking a bit, I slowly brought up my imaginary CBow and let him have a perfect double lunger, then he casually turned away and faded into the bush.
Holy Jumpin what a day! :wink:
Although I only bagged a Bunny, I thought this was a very encouraging and successfull afternoon!
I love Hunting with a Bow! :lol:
Enjoy the Harvest!