Red dot scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ankh

Red dot scopes

Post by Ankh »

Anyone use a red dot? Thoughts, recommendations, pros/cons.
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
Ferguson Outfitters

Re: Red dot scopes

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I tried an Eotech XBow, that particular rig now has a Nikon Bolt.

It sounds all cool at first but a little magnification and brightness in low light works better for me.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:31 am

It sounds all cool at first but a little magnification and brightness in low light works better for me.
Yep, helps miss those pesky branches and twigs!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

I use a truglow open optic red dot. Xbow scope. On my ghost 350.

4 illuminated dots. Red or green.

Has a speed selection also.

I really like it because I can shoot with both eyes open.

Downfall ,it doesn't like rain , snow. Rain messes up the hologram image of the dots . With snow it can get packed full.

Very accurate and easy to sight in. Normally 20 30 40 50.

I sighted in 30 40 50 60. And easily hit bullseyes from a rest.

My model is discontinued but some still around.
Ferguson Outfitters

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:36 pm
Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:31 am

Yep, helps miss those pesky branches and twigs!
You would think so but I took a shot last year on a buck at 14 yards from the ground and I did not see a yuca type plant about a yard from the deer while trying a new mechanical out. It clipped the plant, opened the head and deflected the arrow to the right so instead of cross lung, I got one lung and out the flank area. If I’d had a fixed blade it most likely been a quicker kill.

That ended my mechanical days
Normous

Post by Normous »

Now your talking my language. I have been a fan of good glass scopes for a long time but last year decided to match a pistol competition Reflex Red Dot to my hunting style which under tight cover requires fast both eyes open target acquisition.

The Trijicon 1 MOA SRO features a 1.6 oz platform, clear glass, a large sight window and easily performs at legal shooting time.

Next is the KAHLES HELIA RD, featuring a large window, clear glass and a 2 MOA dot. Included also is a Picatinny mount, a cover, and the brightness controls are very easy to use. Kahles is the worlds oldest optic manufacturer and has been owned by Swarovski for 45 years.
This reflex dot was intended for fast acquisition European running boar hunting. This sight is excellent!!

Both sights sit atop fast shooting crossbow platforms and no holdover required to 30 y.

At the end of the day , I appreciate handling a lighter crossbow platform instead of a added one pound +/- scope which I don't need at reasonable game distances.

I use a rain guard / Anti fog solution to keep my optic clear during bad weather - PECA brand.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Ferguson Outfitters

I’m just an oddball. Twenty years with red dots in the military and I find Ghost rings faster than the red dot. I even took my aimpoint off my leveraction. One of my leveraction, the 2.5 Leupold is faster and a better option.

I thought the red dot would lend itself better for HD but I find ghost rings with a laser better and faster.

Its really an individual choice.