Blood trailing in the rain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: Blood trailing in the rain

Post by longbow joe »

I wont hunt in the rain normally but during the rut (Halloween to end of November)l will be out in any conditions during a rain l will be more careful about shot placement that's all. Now light rain and torrential rain are two different animals no deers gonna move in a torrential rain unless spooked
A good lung hit deer should leave enough blood to trail in the rain assuming that you dont wait too long.
Honestly l got two of my biggest bucks during and better yet after storms and rain events.
Most savvy hunters know the way deer will move right after a storm even during the drizzly down side to a storm that's one of my favorite times to be out.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am
I wont hunt in the rain normally but during the rut (Halloween to end of November)l will be out in any conditions during a rain l will be more careful about shot placement that's all. Now light rain and torrential rain are two different animals no deers gonna move in a torrential rain unless spooked
A good lung hit deer should leave enough blood to trail in the rain assuming that you dont wait too long.
Honestly l got two of my biggest bucks during and better yet after storms and rain events.
Most savvy hunters know the way deer will move right after a storm even during the drizzly down side to a storm that's one of my favorite times to be out.
I agree Joe, I have had excellent results waiting out the rain in a blind as a cold front moves thru especially and then hold on and get ready for action.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Hi5 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:45 pm
Another thing to consider is whether you are hunting during an electrical storm.

If you are, remember that if you are sitting in a tree stand, you are sitting on metal. If it's a ladder stand, that metal reaches right to the ground. In either case, that's a heck of a lot like sitting right on top of a lightning rod. Another thing to keep in mind is that even though the thunder may sound to be far away, lightning can strike a long, long, ways from where the last bolt struck.

I second what xcalibur said about a dog trained to track blood. I'd rather take a chance on getting a ticket for hunting with a dog than allow a wounded animal to suffer and waste because tracking became impossible.
I ran into a case where I knew my Golden could find a deer that I tracked for hours without luck. Knew it would be piece of cake for the dog to find.
So I called the MNR and asked for permission as a long shot.
Surprise ! after talking directly to the CO for the area I hunt which I also just had contact with a week earlier during an in the field hunters compliance check I was given conditional permission to use the dog.
However important NOTE ! was told I was not to have my Crossbow with me while doing so.
Everything worked out well. Recovery was quick and easy in fact once the dog was put on the blood trail it was hard to keep up . Nothing beats a good nose on dog already familiar with hunting (Birds) and has been trained to follow scent.
So is does not hurt to ask as it was in my case.
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

There's two products on the market that are wonderful tracking aids.

The first is Bluestar blood tracking spray. It makes the blood glow blue in the dark. You don't need a light, just spray and follow the trail as it glows.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bluestar+blood+tracking+spray&oq=bluestar+blood+tracking

The second product is a handy tool with multiple uses. It is Leupold LTO-Tracker thermal unit. I use this thing for everything, day or night! For example, going from the truck into the woods, going into a bedding area, "shining" for antler's at night in the summer shows bucks' head gear because of the blood flow in velvet, in fall it shows deer laying in the bean or hay fields that a spotlight misses, I also use it in predator country to "see" in the dark to know if anything is trailing me, and it can be used hours after a deer is down and is still hot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=leupold+lto+tracker
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Another thing that works is hydrogen peroxide, it will foam up when it contacts blood, and it’s not crazy expensive.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
grouse

Post by grouse »

colouredchameleon wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 am
Hi5 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:45 pm
Another thing to consider is whether you are hunting during an electrical storm.

If you are, remember that if you are sitting in a tree stand, you are sitting on metal. If it's a ladder stand, that metal reaches right to the ground. In either case, that's a heck of a lot like sitting right on top of a lightning rod. Another thing to keep in mind is that even though the thunder may sound to be far away, lightning can strike a long, long, ways from where the last bolt struck.

I second what xcalibur said about a dog trained to track blood. I'd rather take a chance on getting a ticket for hunting with a dog than allow a wounded animal to suffer and waste because tracking became impossible.
I ran into a case where I knew my Golden could find a deer that I tracked for hours without luck. Knew it would be piece of cake for the dog to find.
So I called the MNR and asked for permission as a long shot.
Surprise ! after talking directly to the CO for the area I hunt which I also just had contact with a week earlier during an in the field hunters compliance check I was given conditional permission to use the dog.
However important NOTE ! was told I was not to have my Crossbow with me while doing so.
Everything worked out well. Recovery was quick and easy in fact once the dog was put on the blood trail it was hard to keep up . Nothing beats a good nose on dog already familiar with hunting (Birds) and has been trained to follow scent.
So is does not hurt to ask as it was in my case.
As long as you are not carrying a weapon why would you need permission to use a dog to track a hit deer? Why would that ever be illegal?
axiom
350 SE
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

[/quote]
As long as you are not carrying a weapon why would you need permission to use a dog to track a hit deer? Why would that ever be illegal?
[/quote]

Answer
COPIED DIRECTLY FROM MNR REGs

"Note: Use of dogs is not permitted during the Bows Only seasons. Landowner’s written permission is required in WMUs 43A, 43B and 44. Contact the local MNRF District office for more information on the Bows Only seasons in WMUs 82C and 93C."

Hope that clarifies it better. That is not to say where your from it is not different. But it is better to confirm if it is or is not allowed and what are the rules that apply when thinking of using dogs to track. I say always better to get it straight from the horse mouth so to speak Local MNR CO.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

When i was young & had good set of eyes, plus limited time to hunt. I would hunt in the rain if i had too. Remember forget the rule of waiting ! If its raining start your recovery quickly. As i have gotten older my eyes are not good, i trained my 4 furbabies to blood trail. That i knowed of they have never scent chased tick toters. That does not mean they don't pick up the scent while trailing & use it to find the deer. Now i would say that blood has a heavy smell to it & they zero in on it. Best of luck n skill young man
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Rain = no blood trail. Get a good tracking hound and even than don't leave it long as the rain will eventually eliminate the scent trail as well.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

grouse wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Welcome to Bantario. In general it is legal to use a dog for recovery in Ontario as long as the dog is registered/licenced as a hunting dog in Ontario. My walker is registered and has recovered more than a few for various people that know me.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Never really had a problem. Get a good shot and it won't go far. If your uncomfortable hunting in the rain, I'd probably wouldn't do it. Even when I see my deer go down, I always start where it was shot. I've killed deer that only bleed a little bit where it died so I practice to follow the deer sign. Kicked up dirt, over turned leaves, running deer tracks etc. I'm by no means an expert but I do try to learn something new every time I go hunting so school is always in session and I believe I've been held back a few times! :eusa-whistle:
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:25 am
Never really had a problem. Get a good shot and it won't go far. If your uncomfortable hunting in the rain, I'd probably wouldn't do it. Even when I see my deer go down, I always start where it was shot. I've killed deer that only bleed a little bit where it died so I practice to follow the deer sign. Kicked up dirt, over turned leaves, running deer tracks etc. I'm by no means an expert but I do try to learn something new every time I go hunting so school is always in session and I believe I've been held back a few times! :eusa-whistle:
Great advice right here! Always follow the trail even if you see the deer go down as there is lot to learn. I have been hunting with a new hunter his year and he has taken 2 deer so far. It's been great. On his last one, he said he made a good shot and we had a good blood trail to follow. The deer only went a total of maybe 90yds, and at about 60 yds we saw it. But I encouraged him to follow the trail anyways.....and it got weird. The deer obviously stopped for a bit at that 60 yd location, as there was a decent blood spot, and then it continued...but the blood was much less that before and at this point the deer started zigzagging. It was good practice to see what they can do and is info he now has that he can use on another track when he is still tracking and hasn't found the deer yet. His shot ended up being more forward in the shoulder than behind it - but since he is shooting 600gr arrows (vert bow and he is an Ashby fan too) he had a complete pass thru.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I live in a Rain Forest.
If I didn't hunt in the rain, that would severely limit the number of times i could get out.
Be damn sure of your shot!

Sadly, I have yet to get out this season due to many many difficulties.
Hope to rectify that soon...

Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

IronNoggin wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:03 pm
I live in a Rain Forest.
If I didn't hunt in the rain, that would severely limit the number of times i could get out.
Be damn sure of your shot!

Sadly, I have yet to get out this season due to many many difficulties.
Hope to rectify that soon...

Nog
The temperate rain forest islands of the Pacific Northwest, a great place to live and hunt!