Justanuff CUB-POWED him!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JUSTANUFF

Re: Justanuff CUB-POWED him!!!!

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Hello to all! Yes a most memorable hunt and it's less than 10 minutes from my house is suburbia! Been hunting this private property for a number of years with my share of stolen stands and trespassers,duck and goose hunters. For the most part only hunted it on weekends on would see some nice deer having 2 dandys I unfortunately did not recover.This season was different having recently retired I spent more time preparing and more time in the tree.To attract and hopefully keep deer in the neighborhood I fashioned a licking branch tree some years back in an abandoned farm field 20 yards from my stand and keep it scented up with SMOKEYS deer scent ,preorbital gland scent and others.I have numerous cameras out and one right by this tree.I can tell you IT WORKS.The deer navigate to the tree throughout the season to check it out,especially as the rut approaches.I have some fantastic footage including the buck was lucky enough to shoot.
On to the hunt.I have been hunting hard! Mornings,midays,evenings,and all dayers.The ladder stand I erected is very comfy and has made a difference.This guy was very nocturnal.He would show up on various cameras on his small 8 acre parcel.I hunted the morning (OCT 30) and got in my tree by 6:15.The latest video I have of the buck was October 26 @ 6:05am by my "treecoy" licking branch tree.I sat till 11:15 seeing nothing!The local farmers were harvesting corn at the time which was an encouraging sight.Came back @ 3.45 and did a little grunting and bleeting.I had just got done looking at the time on my phone,5:15.Put it back in my pocket and I looked out into the field ahead and about 150yards out I see this deer and another nice buck!! I quickly put the binos on them confirming that this was the big boy I was after,They were walking north to south,towards a pond,,my stand is west of them.As I reached for my grunt call ,HE TURNED and headed in my direction!!!I put down the grunt call.I rested the Cub on the shooting rail and positioned my self for an anticipated shot,feeling the rush and the pounding of my heart! He is now 40 yards and closing towards the tree straight on,,AND THEN he decides to turn going north and pretty soon he will disappear out of my shot window! I put my 35 yard pin and him and stopped him with a verbal,Eh,Eh. He stopped and I squeezed of the triggertech and sent the 16.5 Gold Tip Laser II/Magnus Black Hornet and Thwaack.He went down!!! I spined him. Knowing he wasen't going anyplace to soon I got down out of my stand and reloaded and walked up to him thrashing like crazy and finished him off! Standing over him,I could hardly believe what had just gone down.As night fall began to set in,and the moon rise into the sky,I waited for my friend to come and help me drag him out.
The other thing I want to mention,life for me has been somewhat difficult having lost my wife of 45 years almost 3 years ago,and recently and suddenly loosing my Mom 2 days before Mothers day and caretaking for my 92 year old father,I needed a lift. As I was walking to my stand I said a prayer to the Lord and asked him if he could please make something happen tonight and send this deer my way. I know HE is always listening,but that night he answered me!
Last edited by JUSTANUFF on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Great story and hunt!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
roly

Post by roly »

Congrats. Really nice buck.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Great story and an awesome buck! I'm confident I've never seen a live one that big. He's a brute. Congrats!
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

JUSTANUFF wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:17 pm
Hello to all! Yes a most memorable hunt and it's less than 10 minutes from my house is suburbia! Been hunting this private property for a number of years with my share of stolen stands and trespassers,duck and goose hunters. For the most part only hunted it on weekends on would see some nice deer having 2 dandys I unfortunately did not recover.This season was different having recently retired I spent more time preparing and more time in the tree.To attract and hopefully keep deer in the neighborhood I fashioned a licking branch tree some years back in an abandoned farm field 20 yards from my stand and keep it scented up with Smitty's deer scent ,preorbital gland scent and others.I have numerous cameras out and one right by this tree.I can tell you IT WORKS.The deer navigate to the tree throughout the season to check it out,especially as the rut approaches.I have some fantastic footage including the buck was lucky enough to shoot.
On to the hunt.I have been hunting hard! Mornings,midays,evenings,and all dayers.The ladder stand I erected is very comfy and has made a difference.This guy was very nocturnal.He would show up on various cameras on his small 8 acre parcel.I hunted the morning (OCT 30) and got in my tree by 6:15.The latest video I have of the buck was October 26 @ 6:05am by my "treecoy" licking branch tree.I sat till 11:15 seeing nothing!The local farmers were harvesting corn at the time which was an encouraging sight.Came back @ 3.45 and did a little grunting and bleeting.I had just got done looking at the time on my phone,5:15.Put it back in my pocket and I looked out into the field ahead and about 150yards out I see this deer and another nice buck!! I quickly put the binos on them confirming that this was the big boy I was after,They were walking north to south,towards a pond,,my stand is west of them.As I reached for my grunt call ,HE TURNED and headed in my direction!!!I put down the grunt call.I rested the Cub on the shooting rail and positioned my self for an anticipated shot,feeling the rush and the pounding of my heart! He is now 40 yards and closing towards the tree straight on,,AND THEN he decides to turn going north and pretty soon he will disappear out of my shot window! I put my 35 yard pin and him and stopped him with a verbal,Eh,Eh. He stopped and I squeezed of the triggertech and sent the 16.5 Gold Tip Laser II/Magnus Black Hornet and Thwaack.He went down!!! I spined him. Knowing he wasen't going anyplace to soon I got down out of my stand and reloaded and walked up to him thrashing like crazy and finished him off! Standing over him,I could hardly believe what had just gone down.As night fall began to set in,and the moon rise into the sky,I waited for my friend to come and help me drag him out.
The other thing I want to mention,life for me has been somewhat difficult having lost my wife of 45 years almost 3 years ago,and recently and suddenly loosing my Mom 2 days before Mothers day and caretaking for my 92 year old father,I needed a lift. As I was walking to my stand I said a prayer to the Lord and asked him if he could please make something happen tonight and send this deer my way. I know HE is always listening,but that night he answered me!
Love my Super-Cub... Kills deer without fail..
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I had my Cub up for sale here a while back ago,its set up pretty nice. Sure glad I kept it!

it's "justanuff" for me!!
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

JUSTANUFF wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:17 am
I had my Cub up for sale here a while back ago,its set up pretty nice. Sure glad I kept it!

it's "justanuff" for me!!
May GOD always watch over you and yours. May HE grant you a peace and understanding that can ONLY come thru HIM. Thoughts and prayers for YOU and your DAD. Enjoy what GOD has given you!!
Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight thyself also in the LORD, and HE shall give thee the desires of thine heart." KJV

Congratulations Young Man!! Job well done. Reward well deserved!!
GOD Bless :angel: :angel:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

What a buck!! Congratulations. I remember when you had your Cub for sale. Didn't you shoot another great deer with it?
I also have a Cub. I've taken 3 mature buck with it, and all were pass throughs with Slick Tricks. In my opinion, it's a
perfect bow for whitetails. Again congratulations. What a buck of a lifetime!
Jim
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Love your story and congrats on a very nice buck with that Cub. Those Cubs and Vixens are so fun to shoot and have enough power to kill just about anything
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Wowzer !
Man thats as monster.
Congrats !
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I am would like to find a GRZ2 stock to fit to my Cub!
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Blessings like your big buck will come but sometimes not when you expect them.

Obviously your prayers were answered!!

Congratulations!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35