Food Plots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sam In Northern ont

Food Plots

Post by Sam In Northern ont »

I took a nice 8 point buck just a few miles out of town the other day. We have very few deer here i found a spot with acouple of deer trails, and was wondering about a small food plot for next year. I was wondering if any of you guys played around with this i was thinking on planting clover or alfalfa what are your thoughts. Thanx Sam
wabi....

Post by wabi.... »

Sam,
I (we) have been planting small food plots for a few years now just to get an idea of what does well here in Ohio, and what the deer like. So far soyabeans & corn have attracted the most deer, but they are very seasonal & short lived. We're going to try clover & alfalfa mixed next year, but add a small plot of beans or corn to draw them to the area. Hopefully the clover & alfalfa will keep them coming back! I also have a feeder out, but when other foods are available it sees little use from the deer. I keep it in operation though, for the late season possibility that use will increase. I'll probably keep it going until spring, even after season ends. It makes a good place to spend evenings, even if I'm not hunting.
wabi
Sam In Northern ont

Thanx Wabi. The little food plot that i will plant is in a forested area their is no other planted food around. Iam not quite sure what they are eating in the woods. I was very surprized when this 8 pointer walked in to my stand.We have never had much for deer in our area our little town was just a buzzing when i put my buck up in my moose pole. Where i bought my seed the fellow said that clover does best. Thats why i thought iwould ask the guys on this forum. Should be agood little hobby for the spring. Thanx Sam
PRB

Post by PRB »

I have about 1/4 acre planted from these people. They are very nice to work with and ask questions. Good luck and hope this helps http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Sam In Northern ont

Thanx Piney river buck just emailed them for a free sample & video
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I have a small food plot going in the township of Uxbridge 30 km north of Toronto. This is the first year I have used it but it seems to hold deer to the property. I use Bishop's Wildlife Forage Mix and it grows well in the soil I have here. If you type Bishop's seeds into your search engine I'm sure the web-site will pop up. Bishop's in a Canadian company out of Belleville Ont. The only thing I would caution you about is it does not work well in fallow fields. Make sure you till the soil, it will make all the difference. Good luck with it. I think it will be far more effective where you are as they don't have corn and apples and such to eat.
JD Jones

deer feed

Post by JD Jones »

Here in Wyoming I have experiance with both clover and alfalfa. The deer are mulies, but I doubt that matters much.
I've watched deer come up to the front of our house night after night to eat clover, lived out in the hills at that point, and ranchers around here have fencing around their alfalfa stacks to prevent some of the deer and elk munching out on the winter hay.
JD
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse.
Sam In Northern ont

Thanx for the input guys. Sounds like alfalfa & clover are in. Sam
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Keep a few things in mined here on Plots.

Seeds are Climate controlled , witch means some will not grow in the colder climates.
Alfalfa is not great after freeze up as deer quit eating it.This Does not mean they will not walk through it.

Blending seeds as Bishops , are mixed to work through out the season. The only problem is the lack of Clover. Winter Turnup is great for late season visits.

Take an area about 20x30 with a dark soal , clear it off, or round it up to kill all grasses, Clean to the dirt, Broadcast the area keeping the outside side line 2 feet from edge as most plants will grow out away from the Middle. Light is a must , 1/2 or better of daylight/Sun will do.

Rake over the area to set the seed,

By starting the Plot late, as some say to plant after the snow leaves , is a little misleading.

Your plot only needs 2 -2 1/2 months of growth to be effective.

You do not need the plot to grow 3 feet high , as this only makes plants woody to the animals, tender low new growth will produce better for the hunter.

I always plant 3/4 of the plot in Fall forage with Winter turnup and a 1/4 in mixed Red and White Clover, this gives the deer a choice of what they want. I always reseed every 2 years.

This Post has gave me an Idea and I will take picks of a plot I have now, as the deer have it ripped up allready. I live in a farming area with all crops planted around me and the deer still come and work the plot.

I will make a Plot How too Thread on my sight for everyone to get ideas.
This is my 6th year in plots and feel I have it down to a great detail now.
The deer I shot in October was shot on the same plot as I will take Pic's and I have another buck that has taken over the area all ready.

Allways keep in mined , where there is Does in the rut the bucks will not be far off :wink: ...BT
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Sam In Northern ont

Great advice Adrian their is another local guy here who is also hunting not to far from me. He is also going to put a food plot in we will help each other out , it was bishops seed the same one you mentioned. Thanx Sam