The Longhorn

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

The Longhorn

Post by XB I GO »

Some I already posted once that we might do this. My Dad's friend saw a rogue longhorn with no brand on his huge ranch. The fence was down for a while and this thing showed up there. It has been there a while and seems to run from the trucks. The rancher was going to get rid of it next week anyway one way or another. The workers said the longhorn goes to two water tanks and hangs out in one shady wooded section of the ranch. The ranch is between El Paso and New Mexico and has cattle, pronghorn, whitetail, mule deer and hogs. I don't know exactly how big but we drove down the main ranch road for like 20 minutes going 15-20 miles per hour and didn't get all the way to the other side. We spent 3 days looking for this longhorn. My Dad would drop my brother off at one waterhole and me at another and then wait at the ranch. My brother had his M380 and I had the Mag340. I did see antelope and deer but no cows. My brother saw cows but no longhorn or other stuff. On the third day I saw the longhorn coming but he stopped way out and didnt like something and walked off. What I didn't know was that he went to my brothers waterhole. At 20 yards the Excalibur Kid said he hit what he thought was a heart shot and burried the bolt to the vanes. The longhorn took a drink and walked away. It took my Dad more than a half an hour to get us both and we looked for blood but there was none. We drove the truck the way it went but couldnt find it. The rancher was gone but one of the workers said to set up in a fence break just before the wooded shady spot and stay at the other water hole. He thought if the longhorn could walk fine it would go to one of them. The shady spot is almost a half mile one way and the water is not quite as far in another direction. I went to the woods and my brother went to the water hole. This was like an hour later after the first shot. Well Excalibur Kid got lucky again and the longhorn showed up at the water hole where I was before Dad picked me up. He shot another one and text that it hit the middle of shoulder and came right out the other side, but the longhorn just walked off again. My Dad drove up on a rise to see if it was going to come to me at the shady spot. He couldnt find it . He called the worker and he went out and called back to sit at the end of a barbed wire fence and that the longhorn was walking down it. My brother was closer so Dad got him and drove him down to the end where the fence turns. The longhorn would be coming from the other direction towards my brother. Dad then got me and we drove back real slow. After another 15 minutes my brother called and said he took a lung shot and could hear the air coming out but the bolt was stuck in up to the vanes. Dad hurried out there and we got my brother and drove down the fenceline until we saw the longhorn. It was standing there for about 5 minutes then it lay down. After another 5 minutes it went on its side and put its head on the ground. We waited about 10 more minutes but it was still. We drove up and it was finished. It was a very long process from the first shot. My brother stayed there and I went with Dad to get a front loader. Dad drove the front loader back and I drove his truck. It took a long time because the front loader only goes like 15 miles and hour. We could not get the longhorn in the bucket. We ended up putting a strap around it and hooking the strap to the bucket an then lifting it up hanging from the bucket. We called the butcher shop and they said cut its throat and hang it upside down from the bucket so we did. When we got back we lowered it into the back of a pickup. Then we cut the head off. The butcher shop was another 45 minutes away. He guessed it was around 900 pounds but not sure. He said it is about the healthiest meat there is and we ordered all the cuts plus jerky, snack sticks, summer sausage, hamburger and salami.
gerald strine

Re: The Longhorn

Post by gerald strine »

That is one tuff bull thanks for the story.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

All right! Congrats to the whole crew. Sounds like a great group effort. Lots of good eating right there.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats to the whole bunch! Not too many can say they took a longhorn with a crossbow. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

That's a story you will remember forever XBow. Congrats to you guys and thanks for sharing it with us.
Take care
Hatchet
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Way to go guy’s, sounds like it was quite an adventure. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats to all of you
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to y'all on the big longhorn. Not just an every year hunt there fer sure
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats! Pretty cool hunt!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

That's a good clean kill right there, with no huge adrenaline dump into the meat. Congratulations.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

That is quite the hunt!! Be hard to top that!!
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thats awsome some real good eating... and if deer meat tasted that good...l would shoot every one .Congrats on the big kill!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Great Job!! :thumbup: You guys will always remember the Longhorn!!!
I don't know where you are located in Texas, but Jernigan's Taxidermy does a great job of Longhorn mounts. He's the guy selling al the BBQ places their Longhorns.

Once more...GREAT JOB!! :clap: :clap:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Wow! He’s a monster! Congrats on bringing that rogue to the freezer. I can only imagine the size of those tenderloins, back straps and sirloins! :thumbup:
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

The Game Warden called from the meat processor. He said my brother put the wrong license info on the order form. When he figured out he's 14 years old he said "Don't worry about it". We did figure out there are two or three #'s on the license and he just put the wrong one. Game Warden asked where we got it because that processor can only take hunted animals right now, whatever that means. He told the story and the Game Warden said he wasn't aware of anyone missing a longhorn. He said around 13 miles away there were some cattle let loose on the road. A trailer broke down in the middle of summer heat and it was more than an hour to where they could get new tires so they let the cattle loose instead of risking them dying in the trailer. He thinks they only rounded up a few of them when the trailer was finally fixed a whole day later. The timing makes sense, so that's probably where it came from in the first place. The Game Warden said "good shooting and save me some hamburgers". My brother was nervous but I got a laugh out of it.