first rabbit hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cardinalsfanforever

first rabbit hunt

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

https://i.postimg.cc/wTfgyr15/IMG-1428.jpgimg][/img]. their first rabbit hunt. had to walk almost 2 mile to find these 3. just not here like they used to be. DNR says loss of habitat is mostly at fault. since the deer population increased, the coyotes are thicker and so are hawks, eagles. when I was a kid we used to limit out in an afternoon, easy. but these guys got a taste of it and loved it. may have to look into a beagle now.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Boo

Re: first rabbit hunt

Post by Boo »

It’s been a while since I’ve hunted them but it was pretty exciting! It is hard to beat hunting over a beagle for rabbits. We’re the boys using a shotgun?

Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cardinalsfanforever

yes, 20 ga
Cardinalsfanforever

Dad is gonna cook some wild game diner tomorrow. he said they had some doves in the freezer to grill. fried rabbit with gravy and some doves wrapped in bacon grilled, mmmhhmmmm!!
grouse

Post by grouse »

This brings back good memories. I used to love rabbit hunting. Missouri used to be a great rabbit hunting state but we seem to have far fewer rabbits than we used to. I used to hunt them in the fields around the warehouses and factories in the suburbs of St.Louis and I killed as many as 7 in one day with my Hoyt recurve. The two beagles I've had in my life were great dogs and a joy to hunt with. We did a timber stand improvement on my farm a few years ago along with edge feathering. This created lots of small brushpiles and what looks like good rabbit habitat to me but, I still don't see many rabbits or or many rabbit tracks when it snows.

Small game hunting is good fun and good exercise but there doesn't seem to be as much small game as there used to be.
axiom
350 SE
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nice! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Here in New Brunswick, Canada we do not have rabbits. We have Varying Hares, although we always referred to them as rabbits. When I was a kid I used to snare them or shoot them with a 22 and before I was old enough to have a proper hunting license I used one of those higher speed pellet guns from about 1960 something.
Times have changed, I remember I was 12 or 13 and shooting a rabbit with my pellet gun walking home and the police drove by me rabbit and gun in hand. The cops waved ant me, I waved back and they kept driving. If a young lad did that today guns would have been drawn and a young lad might be shot. The world is so screwed up.
My grandmother used to be so proud of me when I brought them to her for rabbit pie. Mmm she was a great cook.
I love to see young people out enjoying hunting and fishing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe_hare
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Great hunt! When i was growing up my brother and I used a whamo sling shots with marbles to kill rabbits. They always hid under my neighbors tool shed and we would shoot them there. Great fun. The good ole days!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
2019 Bulldog 440

Post by 2019 Bulldog 440 »

I had rabbit problems at my old townhouse and we had a wooden fence so I would practice outside. This rabbit came across the lawn like nothing was going on and I had my Bulldog 440 and I shot at it with a fixed BH and I almost sliced the rabbit in half. When it was hit, it’s rear legs kicked up and then ran maybe a few feet and died immediately. I did not make rabbit soup or anything. I was merely trying to maintain the rabbits and this one was brazen enough to come into my yard while I was outside practicing.

Too bad this forum says the file size is too big or I would post the photos. The rabbits guts were hanging out. Kinda gross but I gave it a proper burial and I haven’t had rabbit issue since. Lol.
Own:
2019 Bulldog 440 MOBUC
2020 MAG 340 Kryptec Raid
Wish:
to have the rest of the newer 2020 Excalibur crossbow’s with QLT. :eusa-violin:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Use www.postimage.org to post pics.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger