I'm shooting 461's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

I'm shooting 461's

Post by xcaliber »

What you shooting? I built up some 20" Zombies for the Vortex, Black Eagle rear aluminum nocks, 110 grains of brass in the snout, and NAP 3" Hellfire Shrink on vanes. 100 grain heads, planning to use the SWAT Hybrids as a fixed head. Could go up to 486. :eusa-popcorn:
Should be smooth shooting, and pretty quiet. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hatchet

Re: I'm shooting 461's

Post by Hatchet »

I use Dragon Claw arrows from Wyvern. This winter I plan on building my first arrows. How do the shrink vanes hold up for you?
Take care
Hatchet
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

They hold up nicely in my opinion, but I always seem to make 4 custom bolts in August for the season. I verify those with my broadhead of choice, then they go into the quiver. I will shoot all eight that i made, then take the best 4. Then I strip the other 4, and go from there. I shoot the snot out of the other ones all summer long, not aiming at the same spot!!! :think:
I have gotten lazy to be honest, and prefer to build to weight, or just under when the season approaches.
The shrink on vanes are a bit pricey in my opinion, but they perform great, and if you don't have any free time to speak of, well worth the price! :thumbup:
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:32 pm
What you shooting? I built up some 20" Zombies for the Vortex, Black Eagle rear aluminum nocks, 110 grains of brass in the snout, and NAP 3" Hellfire Shrink on vanes. 100 grain heads, planning to use the SWAT Hybrids as a fixed head. Could go up to 486. :eusa-popcorn:
in my experience with using nap shrinks wraps they are great to begin with but after a couple 3 years they become brittle and vanes tear off.. my nephew had an instance where the entire wrap/vanes came off partially plugged exit hole restricting blood loss. i ended up re-fletching 2 dozen arrows for us both

sorry dan i quoted wrong post :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Deaf jeff on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Hatchet wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:20 pm
I use Dragon Claw arrows from Wyvern. This winter I plan on building my first arrows. How do the shrink vanes hold up for you?
Take care
Hatchet
in my experience with using nap shrinks wraps they are great to begin with but after a couple 3 years they become brittle and vanes tear off.. my nephew had an instance where the entire wrap/vanes came off partially plugged exit hole restricting blood loss. i ended up re-fletching 2 dozen arrows for us both
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:40 pm
xcaliber wrote:
:think: Never heard of that, never saw that. I will say that you can make better. I make up the final arrows in my quiver to hunt with, it's a good habit! :thumbup:
[url=https://postimg.cc/VJPm3X03]Image
[url=https://postimg.cc/0z66jbLC]Image
If I miss, nobody else to blame!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:48 pm
Deaf jeff wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:40 pm
xcaliber wrote:
:think: Never heard of that, never saw that. I will say that you can make better. I make up the final arrows in my quiver to hunt with, it's a good habit! :thumbup:
[url=https://postimg.cc/VJPm3X03]Image
[url=https://postimg.cc/0z66jbLC]Image
If I miss, nobody else to blame!
was just stating our experience with them. im a newbie of sorts for making arrows(thanks for your advice to get me going down that road) but i have determined from my personal and my families use that gluing directly to the shaft is more durable(prep is the key). they dont look nearly as cool with arrows made with wraps tho :thumbup:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I encourage every hunter to do everything they can to produce the results they seek. :thumbup: :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Stock 20" zombie /110 brass/125 swat and 100 also.
Very happy with them...they are more accurate than l will ever be lol.
9 doe and 2 bucks longest ran 70 yards l wasn't looking for a new broadhead l was happy with mine but I'm very
Pleased with the swat and zombie combo this year 👌
I got one more doe tag saving it for the after Christmas bordom time
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Either 18 or 20 inch Zombie Slayers in the 0.001 series. Blazer Vanes and luminocks. 110 grain inserts. 125 Grain G5s. Somewhere around 430 to 450 grains depending on whether it's the 18s or 20s. Knock on wood but everything ever shot at with those combos has died fast (300 lb bear and a spike this fall plus a whack of others in past years) - big game certified from 7 yards to 53 yards by yours truly.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I will make up 4 for the next season, then decide on 100, or 125 grain heads. The SWAT collar makes that real EZ! :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Dan how much do the alluminum nocks weigh.
Are they close to a luminock.
Never really had a problem with the plastic but I'm not unwilling to try something different.
I just think the extra 25 grains with the swat make the bow quieter and aids in pennitration a tad.
For my 30 yard hunting shots l never see a whole lot more drop to even demand a scope adjustment even from my vixen with the two ways of weight or no weight.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.