What weight Broadhead for better penetration?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: What weight Broadhead for better penetration?

Post by nchunterkw »

Riflemanz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:38 am
My last 2 deer taken I used a 20" Black Eagle Executioner arrow, 110gr insert, 100gr 3 blade rocket hammerhead BH, 421grs total and both arrows sailed thru the deer and only God know's where they ended up. Just couldn't find them.
Lots of good setups out there (like yours). I have been shooting some Executioners I have had lying around this year. They are fine...I just like the stiffer ZSs a little better. And I'm only shooting 16" arrows from my Micro. Killed 7 so far...5 with t16" EX, 92gr brass and 150gr Slick Trick. Had one odd deflection inside the deer. Deer was 25y and pretty broadside...maybe not perfectly but close. I hit it a tad fwd of my aim point and hit the near shoulder. Arrow was lodges at a 45degree angle in the hind qtr. Again deer was broadside. It certainly wasn't almost facing me like it woudl have had to be for that arrow to end up where it did. My thought is it deflected off the shoulder. Could be the shaft or more likely the long smooth ferrule of the slick trick. There is not much chisel point on the 150. But shaft flex could have played a role. ANyway...dead deer.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><