One Stick Saddle Hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: One Stick Saddle Hunting

Post by janesy »

We watched a demo at 2020 ATA, maybe Jeff and I?

It didn't look to bad as long as you had the strap on foot rest that you basically stand on and lean back. The guys leaning off spurs looked too nutty for me.

So honest question, how old do you have to be to think something is a young man's game? Cause I certainly thought that was a young man's game.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Back in The day the standard baker treestand and the tiny baker mighty mite was the bomb...I still climb using the tree hug method but its not as easy being 55.
I have a trailhawk climber now. Just a sturdier version of the 40 year old baker.
The stand without a climbing aid is very light.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Remember my first hug and climb stand, homemade.
Shimmed up about 11 ft or so. New to tree stands so I got tired after a couple hrs.
Made a big mistake, I sat down.

You guessed it, couldn't get back up.
Had the piece of tie cord , so I lowered my bow.

It took some doing but I managed to twist around so I could hang off and drop the last 4 ft to the ground.

It took a few yrs but it finally fell down and I hauled it away.

Some lessons are learned the hard way.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Instead of using a ladder, you might look at the Stepp Ladder idea. It'll get you up the tree pretty safely and is light.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I'm looking at videos, and getting ideas of what I can do to make it as easy as possible. I think without the saddle of choice, and just to try it I would be in for about $150. The items would be something I could sell and recoup some of that money, and or I have some young guys in our little group of hunters that would maybe adopt this with some good instruction. This is a hobby type endeavor, not yet something I would take to the woods yet.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I'm liking this one the most for simplicity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZvYu4NjkXg
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I hope you find what you are looking for, Dan.

I watched the video you posted. I was thinking, heck, if he's giving up pretty much every advantage technology offers, I could do better than that. Just give me 30 feet of kevlar cord and I'll tie it around my waist. I'll shinney up to whatever height I want. Then I'll pull up and mount the saddle or seat, and then pull up the rest of the stuff.

I could do it. I'd only have to lose 40 pounds and forty years,

To heck with technology. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It does offer mobility with little weight. I’m going to slowly get the equipment and try it low levels until I get comfortable enough to get up a bit. I have plenty of time to learn the ropes, pun intended. There are saddle attachments that allow you to recline, and get comfortable. More to come folks, if nothing else it will be good exercise.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

This looks interesting too. I'm looking for some light weight edge to hunt public land if we lose our place. This will work for you young guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkAMZo5ggI
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:59 pm
This looks interesting too. I'm looking for some light weight edge to hunt public land if we lose our place. This will work for you young guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkAMZo5ggI
"Young Guys" being the correct terminology in this sentence!!!! :lol: :wink: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I’m a bit busy currently but will be looking into this. I have a climber platform that might work great with a few modifications to lighten it up! :eusa-dance: :eusa-popcorn:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

This is the saddle I'm buying, and then I'm getting a custom piece made, more to come. I figure if this is too much, I'll know when I'm practicing, plan B would be to take this turkey hunting, but keep my feet on the ground. I have been shooting around trees my whole hunting life!
https://www.trophyline.com/collections/tree-saddles/products/covert-lite-saddle-kit
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Update, I’m waiting on a few items to arrive and this morning got a call from Backwoods Mobile Gear. They are making my Aider and want to make sure they understand my setup, what a great company!!! Anyway I’m approaching this in a few ways and feel pretty confident I’m going to have a great end result. I’m going to name drop a lot when finished after making a few videos. I’m hoping to help hunters get into this and to support companies that work with their customers to realize their final setup. This will be fun! Stay tuned folks!
rj242

Post by rj242 »

I am 56 yr old, and in fair shape. I too am on the pursuit for a lighter setup (summit climbers for 35 plus years). I purchased the ultimate 1 stick from Eastern Woods Outdoors (I think that was the name). It didn't arrive until after last deer season. I have practiced climbing several trees with the one stick, and I find it not very difficult. Rappelling down is a piece of cake. The madrock safeguard is what I use. I like it a lot better than sticks, steps etc.

I have Shikar sticks, WE steps, Naider/Swaider for sale, I prefer the ultimate 1 stick. I have also purchased a JX3 saddle, Cruzr XC, and I have a Overwatch Transformer saddle that should be here Saturday. The transformer is a two panel saddle, that I hope it is more comfortable than the XC. The JX3 is a comfortable saddle, and I like it a lot, but it weighs 13lbs. I did make a few hunts last year out of the Cruzr, but I used the sticks and WE steps to climb with. I also bought the Tetherd platform XL, but I hope to be able to sell it, as Eastern Woods has a new platform that can be added to the 1 stick, hopefully I wont need the XL platform.

I don't know anyone around my way that hunts from a saddle. All my friends are gun shy of the idea. So I have had to enter this venture by myself and buy things that I thought would work for me. I feel that it will be safer for me, as I don't like to use a harness with my Summit Viper. Hunting with a saddle and 1 sticking, you are always tethered to the tree. It is different, and has its own set of challenges, but I am going to overcome them.

Lastly, I strongly encourage you to learn as much as possible about climbing with your equipment safely. I have watched a ton of videos. I recommend watching Staggs in the Wild, "Even a 13 yr old can 1 stick".

I plan on selling the stuff that I don't like. Anyway, best of luck!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Glad to hear that you’re enjoying this. I didn’t get to practice for reasons related to health. I have a ton of stuff to try, and three techniques I want to try before going forward. I’m going to make a few videos this fall hopefully when the ticks are done and my tags are full. PM me if just want to shoot the chit. I have ideas that I may never try.

Dan