One Stick Saddle Hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

One Stick Saddle Hunting

Post by xcaliber »

Anyone doing this? I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube lately and it looks like a great way to be mobile without carrying a climber on your back. I don't mind spending a bit of money to try it, but I'm not wanting to invest into it to a point I have to mortgage the house. Maybe I'm thinking ahead, but we may not have permission to hunt where we are currently next year which puts me back to having to rely on some degree of mobility.
Looking mainly for carabiner / rope / and release options to repel down, also a good light ladder section, ladder aide, and saddle. Just thinking stage currently folks, but advice from those that use this technique sure would be helpful.

Thanks!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flightattendant100

Re: One Stick Saddle Hunting

Post by flightattendant100 »

Are you outa you Bleeping Mind? Me thinks that is for the much younger than my 65 yo butte. And my part of Texas has ZERO tall straight trees, and the Mesquites have thorns!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ohhh just don't break your hip dan ....thell put you in a nursing 🏡 and you'll get the dredded bug and its all over.
I was intrigued by them but l think my 3 climbing sticks and loc on limit are just as fast and more comfortable
You can always leave a cheapo strap on stand in the tree and just use the sticks to get to it. If you wire tie branches n brush on it no ones gonna see it up there all alone.
...no "hanging around" for me l want a seat .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

My "mentee" uses a tree saddle. It is a pretty nice option...for a vert bow hunter, I think. It would be harder for a crossbow hunter with the horizontal limbs. That being said...he is 30 and I am 54 and it's not for me. He carries climbing stick, and strap on footrests, his harness, etc. It's a young man's thing I think.

For mobility, a good leafy suit and some cut brush does a great job of concealing you if you can sit still. Easy to pack and has you face to face with Mr Big.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I agree, those things look great. Extremely mobile, and MADE for YOUNG People!!! :lol: :lol: :eusa-doh:
I got too many pins, plates and screws already. I'm NOT looking to add anymore to my collection!! :wtf: :lol:

And Dan...by your own admission, aren't ya kinda accident prone? :eusa-doh:
Why ya wanna temp fate??? :eusa-naughty:

Just trying to look out for ya!! :lol: :wink:

As Nancy Reagan said, "Just say No"!!! :lol:

Just the thoughts and ramblings of an OLD East Texas Redneck, Deep in the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!!
AJ :mrgreen:
Last edited by AJ01 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

WOW, YOU GUYS ARE BRUTAL! :eusa-think: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:07 am
WOW, YOU GUYS ARE BRUTAL! :eusa-think: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ain't that what "friends" are for!!! We are just looking out for you!!! :eusa-popcorn: :lol: :lol:
At least I didn't say they would put you in a home!! :wtf: :lol: :wink:

That was TOO FUNNY Joe!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I might be able to put you in contact with the guy who goes by the name Field Archer who does his hunting out of a saddle.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Don, at this point I'm just considering trying it. Of course I'll be safe, and probably won't go higher than 18'. Heck, I probably won't do it at all if it's too difficult. Like I said, I'm not investing a bunch of money in something that may never become reality, but it does look rather easy when you watch videos of some of these experienced climbers. One thing for sure, I'll never carry another climber on my back. That said, I like to hunt from elevated positions, and setting up ladder stands on public land invites thieves, and gives away spots that you scouted for. The women that owns the farm we hunt on is in her 90's, and has cancer. Every year Kim is still alive is a miracle, and her land is worth over a million dollars. Herr children are in their 70's and would sell the land in a minute when she passes, they are not getting any younger, and most would do the same thing. My goal is to be able to get away from the parking areas, and far enough that the weekend warriors won't be on my heals, and I can still get an elevated position without too much stress. These systems seem to allow that. Besides my diabetes, and heart issues I'm still very active, and not in bad shape for an old fart.
At this time & place I'm just looking to hear from some that do this, and can say what works & why as well as what they tried that gave them fits. I have hung several hang on stands over the years, and know how to use lineman belts, etc. and know how to maneuver a ladder section around to get up into a tree. Again, equipment like MadRock, and others is what I would like some feedback on. I'm hoping to be practicing in the spring if I decide to try this.
Thanks folks for the concerns, funny comments, and jabs! I would not expect anything less from this group.
:eusa-popcorn:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I just think a crossbow would be tough out of one. That rope that goes from your belly to the tree seems to be in the way. And you don't/can't turn as much with a crossbow as you do with a vert bow when you shoot. Look at the pics you see on Google. Lots of shots behind you....kinda how it's setup.

You said 18 feet too. That means you will be hauling around climbing sticks to get you there. No not as bulky and cumbersome as a climber but still............

My mentee uses 4 sticks from Hunt From Above as well as little step like things to give him a foothold once he's up. You need that so you can swing around the tree to get a shot. All of it ratchet straps to the tree so nothing permanent. His pack is not light by any means, and he can only get up about 15' or so.

Process is strap a stick on as high as you can for that first step, get thelinemans stuff going and get on that. Other sticks hanging on the back of his pack. Pull another out and strap it on, climb up that etc etc. He is adding steps as he climbs. He has it down now and only takes about 30min to get settled once he picks a tree.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

As I get old, like now, I'd rather sit in a natural ground blind than go up a tree!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I'll admit it...I do like being up in a tree 18-20 feet off the ground. I just like the view and the vantage point it gives.
However, I am NOT opposed to hunting out of "Pop-Up" blinds either. I use a couple all the time. Sure is nice when it's misting rain or sleet and snow are falling. ( I also admit WE here in Texas, except the Panhandle Region, don't get that too much of the white stuff, but when we do, I like to out in the woods!! :D )
Also I know some of the guys on here who live in different parts of the Texas, don't have a lot of tall timber. Elevated box blinds rule the day. :thumbup:
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I've had the same thought too but figured I was too old to try.Wish I was 20 again and I would let you know. Nobody I know has used one.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Normous

Post by Normous »

The way I see it, I think you need to be younger , fitter , more flexible and be able to mimic a monkey in a tree sort of, to use the saddle .

Dan, we've never met but I don't quite picture you that way for some reason. No other way to put it I suppose.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Normous wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:09 pm
The way I see it, I think you need to be younger , fitter , more flexible and be able to mimic a monkey in a tree sort of, to use the saddle .

Dan, we've never met but I don't quite picture you that way for some reason. No other way to put it I suppose.
Another brutally honest man! :lol: :lol: